Good news, Bad news

Fatcatsplat

Went on a driven day yesterday in Bedfordshire that was absolutely brilliant - Getting to one of the drives, we had to walk down a concrete slope - Halfway down i slipped and fell a over t, landing in a sprawled mess.

The good news - My back has been playing up - The fall seems to have knocked whatever was out of place into place - Hurrah!!

The bad news - I manged to crack my forend, right along the top - The crack is about 3 inches long - Seems hairline from the outside, but is clearly split on the inside. I am tempted to superglue it back in place and hope for the best, but would aybody have an idea if there are any gunsmiths in my neck of the woods (Essex, Kent, London) who do excellent "invisible repairs"?

The gun is a browning GTI Ultra, so reasonably old and am unsure whether i can just buy a replacement.

I've done a little picture attached of where it is.

stock.bmp

Edited by Fatcatsplat

My mate has just had a Silver Pigeon V stock crack mended, having been quoted £600 for a new stock he was over the moon with the repair and the price.

The smith who did it is in Berks so may be too far for you, but if you don't get any better offers drop me a PM and I will get his details for you.

I have mended cracks. permanently with superglue, my dad was a wood turner and they did this all the time so it isn't the bodge it seems.

All I did was force the crack open even more and dropped the glue in, then pressed the crack shut - worked a treat.

7/10 for the drawing BTW :good:

Give Jim Spalding a call you'll find him in 192.com (Gunsmiths Colchester) a Mersea Man, has the workshop at Fennes on a Saturday, or you can sometimes find in Radcliffes. Did a little repair on my stock and fitted my recoil pad, excellent workmanship.

Regards

M.

Went on a driven day yesterday in Bedfordshire that was absolutely brilliant - Getting to one of the drives, we had to walk down a concrete slope - Halfway down i slipped and fell a over t, landing in a sprawled mess.

The good news - My back has been playing up - The fall seems to have knocked whatever was out of place into place - Hurrah!!

Thats odd, a similar thing has happened to me today! Been having back pain for over two weeks and then just slipped but didn't hit the floor but my back clicked and has stopped hurting now :yes:

Don't know anything about repairing cracks tho :good:

GH

Give Jim Spalding a call you'll find him in 192.com (Gunsmiths Colchester) a Mersea Man, has the workshop at Fennes on a Saturday, or you can sometimes find in Radcliffes. Did a little repair on my stock and fitted my recoil pad, excellent workmanship.

Regards

M.

I agree,

I am going to Mersea Friday or Saturday. If you drop it in to me I will take it to Jim. I might be getting him to do something gunwise for me too soon.

Edited by ME

Get it to Jim Spalding,

PM me if you want his number. He lives about a mile from me and behind my local so if you want it dropped in I don't mind.

You can do it yourself if you can open the crack slightly and run some thin cyanoacrylate glue in. Get to a model shop and buy some ZAP CA. It is thinner than water and will run in the crack and fix it permanently.

Get it to Jim Spalding,

PM me if you want his number. He lives about a mile from me and behind my local so if you want it dropped in I don't mind.

You can do it yourself if you can open the crack slightly and run some thin cyanoacrylate glue in. Get to a model shop and buy some ZAP CA. It is thinner than water and will run in the crack and fix it permanently.

ZAP CA is the way to go. Don't prise it open. keep the external surface on top so glue run in then use masking tape for the final pull closed. wipe off any excess straight away with tissue.

You are welcome to one of my extra sticky bogies.

Most versatile :yes:

Indeed, the ones I wipe on the underneath of my desk at work are like they have been welded on to the wood work.

I don't think they are impervious to water however.

Edited by Mungler