Best country in the world to shoot?

reaper6

My one time life goal so far as shooting is concerned it would have to be tanzania for a cracking cape buffalo i have wanted one mounted on my wall since i was 4 as my granddad has a buffalo scull on the outside of his house he managed to get back from uganda when he left in the 1970s something about a granddad to a young boy you want what he has :oops:

As to where i would live? Britain for me game shooting is what i enjoy most :lol:

George

I recon the UK is best for number of shooting grounds within reasonable distance but give me a major USA shoot any day - I have shot Browning/Briley at Houston -- Gene Sears Open at Oklahoma -- Texas challenge at San Angelo - all great shoots - beats British and English hands down. - trouble is distance to travel although driving there is nothing like here - I am thinking of the Benelli shoot which is 175 miles each way - 175 in US I never even blinked the roads are so straight and good it's effortless driving.

dave

When In Denver I went to a gun shop, it had the biggest selection of guns in one place I've ever seen, thought I'd died and went to heaven. Paid 20$ hired a glock with 50 rounds and used their practice range, what a set up. Got to be the States, the cartoon says it all. :good::good:

Edited by clutey

If you are talking about a whole country, then it has to be the US for the variety of game available, amount of game available, the variety of habitats, and the ease of getting just the right gun for what you want. In what other country can you shoot woodland grouse in evergreens, ducks in flooded timber/swamps, pronghorn on the plains, elk in the mountains, sheep in the real mountains, and gamebirds everywhere? You have caribou and ptarmigan in alaska (aside form the bears and sheep). Desert quail in the southwest. Alligators in the south east. Ducks all over the place. If you restricted the question to be what country OR US state then it might be tougher. But for picking just one country, its a no brainer.

I'll just caution you hopefuls though that buying a gun in the US as a Brit is probably harder than an american buying a gun over here. You guys can buy guns there, but you can't take possession of them. You have to ship them right out of the country to an RFD here. The only way that you can purchase and have a gun here is after you get a greencard.

Thanks,

Rick

The sight of a Scottish glen in the early morning is something to behold. Never shot up there but I've fished alot.

For all around shooting it would have to be the US. I go there often and its a great learning experience. I've hunted there a bit, best so far was some dove shooting in Texas. Acres and acres of land to roam around on, ATV's the whole nine yards. Amazing scenery and dinner at Arby's. Cant ask for more.

I'll stick with England please.

snap why would you want to go anywhere else, we have the finest game shooting on the planet, the landscape has been created over generations to enhance the shooting I know where i'd want to be. With seasons of driven game, then pigeons, hare and vermin days plus lamping what else do you want for a year round sport.

That said I wouldn't mind a bear for a rug in front of the fire but would be a one off :good:

If you like handguns then america is hard to beat. I'm typin this from New Orleans. I showed up at a couple of NRA competition 'running shoots' (both in Mississippi) and the people were some of the nicest and best craic I've met. almost all were ex or current military. I used a 40 cal Glock 22. have to say that it was a lot of fun and I couldn't get over just how seriously they take safety- it impressed me a lot and i'll definitely go again :lol:

If you like handguns then america is hard to beat. I'm typin this from New Orleans. I showed up at a couple of NRA competition 'running shoots' (both in Mississippi) and the people were some of the nicest and best craic I've met. almost all were ex or current military. I used a 40 cal Glock 22. have to say that it was a lot of fun and I couldn't get over just how seriously they take safety- it impressed me a lot and i'll definitely go again :lol:

???:no:

And you will never be allowed to do that in the UK EVER!

Before I die or become too infirm, I want to do the Africa thing. I badly want to stalk a Cape Buffalo, to do the Robert Ruark buffalo experience, get close enough to it that it looks at me like I owe him money, preferably near enough to get some idea of how much he thinks I owe him. Near enough to smell the buff :lol: I read Lauren's Van Der Posts description of a buffalo charging him, outstanding ???

I too would love a bearskin rug, preferably a grizzly.

As an aside, did you know that polar bears have black skin? White/clear hair but black skin. I bought some for fly tying, thats the only reason i know about it.

ft

Edited by flytie