Scope magnification

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking of getting a .17hmr in the near future and will need to buy a new scope for it. I'm not sure what magnification to get and was wondering if you guys with one could help by telling me what mag you use.

Thanks

G

My scope goes up to i think 22 mag but i very rarely use it above 10 mag except for zeroing.. :ernyha:

I'm thinking of getting a .17hmr in the near future and will need to buy a new scope for it. I'm not sure what magnification to get and was wondering if you guys with one could help by telling me what mag you use.

Thanks

G

I use a fixed mag of x7 on mine, its plenty and it makes things simple.

I bought the best glass I could afford, going for a cheaper variable mag didn't make sense as I use bino's, I know exactly where I am with the fixed lens, helps with range finding when you get used to it.

My scope goes up to i think 22 mag but i very rarely use it above 10 mag except for zeroing.. :ernyha:

I agree my scope goes up to 24 mag but dont use it more than 8/10 mag.Brobably the best advice is to get the best optics you can afford for it,you wont need much more than x8 for vermin out to 100yds.

I have had a few scopes sat on my HMR. The largest was x24 mag, I now have a fixed x8 and just cant see myself shooting with any thing else.

For drilling holes in paper at long range high mag is fine, but for me out in the field (where the targets tend to hop away while your adjusting, dialing and setting your scope up for the shot) you just cant beat the ease of use of a fixed mag scope, its what works for me but were not all the same are we.

Just go for the best optics your budget will allow.

atb Ian

i have a 6-24 mag scope on mine, for night shooting i dial it down to 9 or 10, for day time i usually keep it up around 18-20; my reasoning is i used a 3-9 on my .22lr and regularly used it up to 140 yards, im hoping to be using the hmr at more than double that range, hence a higher scope :good:

The botton line on this one is simple..its what works for you!

I think 6-22 was mentioned...so take your pick!!

ATB!!!

EDIT

...for what it's worth, I tend to use 6x on ALL my rifles, if I get really excited I may crank it up to 8x!!

No problem for me out to 200+ yards!! :good::good:

Edited by Dekers

x8 will do you.

I made the mistake of buying a scope that goes to x24. I never use it and I always leave it on x8.

Get a fixed mag scope, which is wide angled. It's really good for scanning fields for bunnies. :good:

i thought we all agreed this was a complete no no? :good:

Edited by Ozzy Fudd

i thought we all agreed this was a complete no no? :good:

Never heard that this is frowned upon.

I don't mean; use the scope as a monocular and wave a loaded gun around. I mean, whilst lamping, you can quickly scan across a field or see bunnies which a normal scope can't see, becuase of the wide angled lens.

I've got a 4-16x 50 on mine and I really wouldn't want to go fixed power. When you've the option of shots to 200 yards where you need to be very accurate it just makes it a lot easier. lamping it can stay on low but at least you have the option. If you shoot targets or when zeroing also saves getting up to look at the paper at 100 yards

I have 4-16 on mine but have it on 12 for day shooting and 8 on the lamp although if its a long long shot or a very nice day i may stretch it to 16x.

i thought we all agreed this was a complete no no? ;)

I thought it was agreed its fine as long as the gun is unloaded i do it anyway i unload then push the bolt forward so there is no way it can fire at all.

George

I have 4-16 on mine but have it on 12 for day shooting and 8 on the lamp although if its a long long shot or a very nice day i may stretch it to 16x.

I thought it was agreed its fine as long as the gun is unloaded i do it anyway i unload then push the bolt forward so there is no way it can fire at all.

George

Lets not start that again! I don't care what was agreed, I also scan hedges with a unloaded gun, I generally static shoot so walk with no ammo anywhere near the gun to see where is the best place to lie up on.

Obviously a loaded gun isn't particulary safe.

• 2 weeks later...

:thumbs: Go for the higher mag, I have a x24, thing is, you can dial them down if its too high but you cant dial them up if you havent got it!!!!

The higher mag is great for long range sniping but have to agree, it can be a bit tedious when shooting out of the top of a motoer and you need to be quick. I am now so used to dialing mine while looking for the bunny I hardly notice any more. :lol:

buy one ith plenty of mag then if you want to put it on a longer range rifle in the future you wont have to buy a new one.watch sir slots alot on youtube.this is quite addictive watching and trying to do the same isnt easy,but you will want plenty of mag to hit beyond 400yrds

i have a 6-24 mag scope on mine, for night shooting i dial it down to 9 or 10, for day time i usually keep it up around 18-20; my reasoning is i used a 3-9 on my .22lr and regularly used it up to 140 yards, im hoping to be using the hmr at more than double that range, hence a higher scope :hmm:

Ah, I do love posts where people are going to use their 17 at up to 300 yards - makes me realise what a **** shot I am.

I use a Swaro 4-12mag and tend to leave it on the 12 mag. This is plenty for head shots on rabbits at the 100 yards range.

Don

Ah, I do love posts where people are going to use their 17 at up to 300 yards - makes me realise what a **** shot I am.

I use a Swaro 4-12mag and tend to leave it on the 12 mag. This is plenty for head shots on rabbits at the 100 yards range.

Don

if i was only going to use the ******* thing up to 100 yards id have saved the money and just used the 22lr :yes::hmm:

anyway, who said 300 yards would be on rabbits? i actually have a large bet on at the moment (made while drunk) that ill be able to blat a coke can at 300+ yards with the hmr :good::yes:

if i was only going to use the ******* thing up to 100 yards id have saved the money and just used the 22lr :yes::hmm:

anyway, who said 300 yards would be on rabbits? i actually have a large bet on at the moment (made while drunk) that ill be able to blat a coke can at 300+ yards with the hmr :good::yes:

Yep, I did note that you use your 22 rimmy up to 140 yards, so 300 yards using a hmr is quite reasonable.

Bit expensive though, buying a 17 to shoot coke cans.

It's a pity that you don't live closer to me, so you could borow my 223 and shoot foxes up to 600-800 yards. I'm always willing to learn from others.

Don

Yep, I did note that you use your 22 rimmy up to 140 yards, so 300 yards using a hmr is quite reasonable.

Bit expensive though, buying a 17 to shoot coke cans.

It's a pity that you don't live closer to me, so you could borow my 223 and shoot foxes up to 600-800 yards. I'm always willing to learn from others.

Don

no thanks, i have a rule that i only shoot stuff that i can get to quickly to dispatch if necessary, 600 yards would be a bit too far, though i'm flattered by your offer. and who said i bought the hmr just to shoot coke cans? that bet came after buying the gun, one drunken night when trying to study some figures on a ballistics calcultor with a friend :hmm: im planning on rabbits at 200 yards, shouldnt be a problem as my first kill on my first day after zeroing in was a rabbit at 130 yards, and there might be the odd crow/magpie up to 250 yards too, once i get my eye in and if im happy enough with the damage the rounds do at that range :good:

i am sorry i dont live closer, but you should post up in the shooting wanted section, im sure you could get a mentor or someone to teach you how to shoot; admittedly sometimes its a case of either you got it or you dont, but i reckon with a bit of time and effort (and a few hundred rounds) you might be able to push your range out to 150 yards :yes: