Take a novice out .

Harnser

I was just wondering if it would be a good idea for some of us more experianced pigeon shooters to take a local novice out with us just to show them the ropes . I know how hard it can be to get permission to shoot on farms and thought that an introduction to the sport from a grumpy old pigeon shooter may help them to gain a little bit of experiance , which could help them with their search for their own permissions .

Harnser .

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just wondering if it would be a good idea for some of us more experianced pigeon shooters to take a local novice out with us just to show them the ropes . I know how hard it can be to get permission to shoot on farms and thought that an introduction to the sport from a grumpy old pigeon shooter may help them to gain a little bit of experiance , which could help them with their search for their own permissions .

Harnser .

good idea harnser,

where we going then?

seriously tho, i've been coaching a friend of mine on his bit of land, there's a field next door that's full of rabbits too so i told him to pay the owner a visit and ask about shooting rights, only problem is he's a bit shy so i guess i'll go myself when i get the name off my friend.

A splendid idea that all who shoot should follow.

We have several young lad's who come beating and every year I take one or two out to show them the ropes and encourage them. The best bit is to watch the smiles on their faces when they connect.

If every shooter took someone out for a day that would be many thousands of happy youngsters introduced to our sport and passing the word on to their mates at school.

did it once and never will again i now am not allowed on the land as this novice came back with a load of mates and then they brung a load of their mates and as usual stuff got stole, fences broke livestock running scared etc etc so the farmer put everyone off the land including me and said i was the 1 who brung all the trouble to his land :hmm:

did it once and never will again i now am not allowed on the land as this novice came back with a load of mates and then they brung a load of their mates and as usual stuff got stole, fences broke livestock running scared etc etc so the farmer put everyone off the land including me and said i was the 1 who brung all the trouble to his land :hmm:

Heard something like this befire. The 'novice' went backj to the farmer, offered him a wqodge of cash for the shootig. The farmer accepted, and the original bloke was out.

To avoid that happening, perhaps get them to to sign a small contract stating that the novice shall not approach the farmer for individual rights. NPPC do it although not sure of the penalty for breaking it, other than expulsion.

Heladoxa, surely if the shooter had a good relationship with the farmer and was controlling the pests properly, the farmer wouldnt simply turn to someone else just because they offered cash. To anyone worth their salt, reputation and ability are highly valued.

Monkeyboots, thats horrific mate, you'll always get the odd rotten apple though.

Edit: I guess I should add, that I went for a day out with p-a-s for my first time ever on the pigeons. He taught me a lot and it was a great day. Im still a total novice, not comfortable to shoot alone yet, so something like this would be of benefit to those such as me. The efforts of the more experienced members ARE appreciated.

Edited by notsosureshot

PAS (off here) did it with me when I first started out, and it was a brilliant introduction. I am hoping to take some relative newbies out in the summer after the harvest, and introduce a few from around my village who have never shot a gun before. That should be fun :insert scared smilie:

I took a novice out last year to do a bit of crow decoying, got him a lot of shooting and he shot a few birds. I would only bring someone out that a) I trusted and :hmm: I know is not gonna come back and ruin the sport for you.

I took a novice out last year to do a bit of crow decoying, got him a lot of shooting and he shot a few birds. I would only bring someone out that a) I trusted and :lol: I know is not gonna come back and ruin the sport for you.

:hmm::):ermm:

Problem is you can't trust anyone these days, it hasn't happened to me but it has to a pal and I know the parties concerned!!!

:hmm::):ermm:

Problem is you can't trust anyone these days, it hasn't happened to me but it has to a pal and I know the parties concerned!!!

Got to say I tried taking several people from this sight out last year and got either nothing but trouble or offer of other shooting in exchange which suprise suprise never appeared.

Would be very wary now of offering shooting to anybody I didnt know. but if knew someone who was interested in shooting, I wouldnt hesitate to take them out, and have done several times with no problems and had great fun. Think you have to be verry carefull if someone you dont know asks you to take them out, and I guess thats the problem the farmers have when we go knocking on their door.

My opinion after trying is it just isnt worth the agro, shame as a small number spoil it for the majority. But I agree with the idea.

doc

Come to think of it, Bleeh took me out a couple of weeks ago..

he's a bloody nice chap.

sorry gram but,i now have a picture of you in my head as harry enfield doing that posh guy on his show and him saying "what a bloody nice chap". made me laugh. :ermm::)

as for the helping newbies out..it is a dificult one as it can backfire on you or it can work out very well,as i found out with 2 lads i took out off here,both have been brilliant to take out and have been more than happy to take them again.

vetting people would be very difficult and a show (or should that be act)can be put on to get into your good books and then try the dirty on you.it has happened.

i suppose it is a case of taking a chance and either it works out or not.

plus also if you have a vetting system,you will find that some will use it and not look for their own shoot,which those of us who have a shoot,know how hard it is to get and keep a shoot,just as it is hard for people to get refused shooting when asking around(we have been there),so easier just to go through the vetting system.

lot of guys who have been shooting for sometime,have a lot of good knowledge to pass on to others in the field and seems a shame not to pass it on or help newbies to fac rifles(in my case).also i lamp a hell of a lot and you will be surprised how many have not got a clue how to lamp ,something i like to pass on to others,as it is an art in itself.

i`m out at least 3 times a week(can you tell i like shooting :hmm: )and so have plenty of time to help if possible and still control the rabbits etc on the days i`m on my own.

i have taken people out just to show then fac rifles,so not all about shooting vermin and show them the safety etc and let them have a go.

al

Edited by albob

Dekers, there are some genuine people out there. Could some kind of vetting system be used on PW? Maybe a reputation system of sorts. A lot of members dont have shooting, not because they are lazy, but because its simply all taken. For me, a day out shooting is pretty much like gold at the moment :good:

Of course there are, and I have met and been out shooting with many of them, the problem is that some are not, and it tends to be the experienced ones with a bit of land already that make the best companionms and understand the ground rules!

Once you have been stung it isn't easy to keep an open mind!! :hmm:

i have a few friends who have asked to come out with me, but i have read some scare stories about farmers not being happy about this. so the only person i have had out on my permission was my wife! she did very well holding the lamp :good:

does she have a sister? :hmm:

sorry gram but,i now have a picture of you in my head as harry enfield doing that posh guy on his show and him saying "what a bloody nice chap". made me laugh. :yes::good:

Glad you noticed albob :hmm:

'ol Tim, nice but dim.

Anyway, like you say it's difficult to judge someone you've just met, if the worst was to happen i suppose you could put it around on here to warn others, but it still might not help the relationship with the farmer.

I've got another mate who keeps pestering me for a trip out, the trouble is he's likely to blast everything to hell and back, and i mean anything will do, not just legal quarry.

ah,yes tim.. :hmm:

if i take anyone out,i test their shooting ability,if they cannot hit the target,no shooting on wild animals.

difficult to judge people on their words they put up here but,it is a starting point and you can get a feel for them(not in a pervy way though).

as for your mate,i would avoid shooting with him.like he had plague.

tell him you can only go on,as the farmer is funny about others shooting on there.puts some people off.

al

I think its a great idea.

I guess youd have to go for a beer first and way up wether the person is a *** or not.

Ive only been shooting a couple of years, started going with my brother in law, and hes no expert at decoying, so ive just kinda of rattled along trying new patterns and stuff as i go.

Just started rifles, and i have to say that the mentor condition is a good thing in my view, loads of people got back offerring help from on here, and now have three blokes who are going to get me started,

I say its a great thing because its got me a few people to go shooting with, and a day is always better when you have someone to chew the fat with when the day is going quiet.

When im a bit more experienced in the craft and have a bit of technical knowledge ill gladly be taking new people out.