Papal visit

dazza

Just read on the BBC news it will cost the British taxpayer £20 million+ to bring him over. Nice to see my taxes are being used wisely. It also says the church is asking Catholics to give a bit extra during collection to fund the trip. I also ask that you dig deeper as it turns my stomach to think my money is being used to put petrol in the Pope mobile.

I'm not a Catholic basher, as my wife is one, but I think it's scandalous that the taxpayer should have to fund any of this. :good:

I don't know what the **** they're thinking of. All we hear about is how much belt-tightening we're going to have to put up with, then they lob out for this nonsense. Some guesstimates put the true cost at nearer £42 million :)

That would buy me a few Eley Superbs and that would mean it was put to far better use :good:

Extremely unlikely I know, but I wish Christopher Hitchens the best of luck in his campaign to have the despicable old toerag locked up on arrival ???

Agree but perhaps a more realistic aim is that there will be enough pressure applied which leads them to abolish the visit?

I've never participated in a public demonstration before but if this visit goes ahead then that may very well change.

I guess I can (sort of) understand why a Catholic might want to meet him but anyone else with such aims needs to take a serious look at themselves.

Agree but perhaps a more realistic aim is that there will be enough pressure applied which leads them to abolish the visit?

I've never participated in a public demonstration before but if this visit goes ahead then that may very well change.

I guess I can (sort of) understand why a Catholic might want to meet him but anyone else with such aims needs to take a serious look at themselves.

Agreed, I would gladly settle for him staying at home.

Considering the cuts that have ben announced today how the hell can anyone justify spending money on what has always been the largest cash collecting scam in recorded history?

£42m / 4.2m catholics in England and Wales (2001 census) quite easy maths really innit? Theres an excellent quote from a Christopher Brookmyer novel (Boiling A Frog) where he questions the validity of recognising the catholic church (or churches in general) as having any authority in modern society - "Tesco have 10million clubcard users - does their CEO feel obliged to pass comments on their customers moral integrity?"

I'm not a Catholic basher, as my wife is one, but I think it's scandalous that the taxpayer should have to fund any of this. ???

I don't know what the **** they're thinking of. All we hear about is how much belt-tightening we're going to have to put up with, then they lob out for this nonsense. Some guesstimates put the true cost at nearer £42 million :oops:

That would buy me a few Eley Superbs and that would mean it was put to far better use :yes:

Mixed marriage eh , Chard . you are a brave man .

Harnser .

Extremely unlikely I know, but I wish Christopher Hitchens the best of luck in his campaign to have the despicable old toerag locked up on arrival ???

Not defending the pope at all, but if he is responsible for the conduct of every one in the RCC then surely Dawkins and Hitchens are by default responsible for the conduct of everyone that claims to be an athiest ?

Theres an excellent quote from a Christopher Brookmyer novel (Boiling A Frog) where he questions the validity of recognising the catholic church (or churches in general) as having any authority in modern society - "Tesco have 10million clubcard users - does their CEO feel obliged to pass comments on their customers moral integrity?"

So Tesco`s are a religious/theological/ethical......... well you see where I`m going ?