quitting smoking - day 1

Ozzy Fudd

went to see the doctor today and got a course of champix tablets to quit smoking, only starting taking them this afternoon so fingers crossed :lol:

anyone else used them? ive heard lots of scare stories of side effects, though i reckon i can ut up with them for a month or two if it makes me quit :lol:

It's good to see you're making the effort mate. Let me know how you get on. I'm giving it serious consideration myself but just haven't got round to going to the doctors. I've heard good reports about them plastic fegs nicorette offer. Need to be getting some of these and trying them out. It's got to a stage where I can hardly breathe and my nose is constantly stuffed up. Not to mention the smell :lol: Keep us posted big man :lol:

I used Zyban tablets 5 years ago, and haven't smoked since. At the time I had to go to a bit of effort to break the link between cigarette and situation, e.g. having a pint and wanting a cigarette. Didn't give up drinking, just drank other things.....

I found a great motivator was the fact that the money spent on cigarettes could now be spent on other things. In my instance it paid for a saltwater fly fishing setup

Best of luck, and hang in there

Neels

Ozzyfudd....get yourself down to your local WHSmiths and buy(or order a book entitled: 'The Easy Way To Stop Smoking',by Alan Carr.(Not the gay comedian..he's a different sort of fag!).If you really want to stop this book will put you in the right frame of mind,and that's what stopping is....a mind game.I know loads of people(only blokes for some reason)who have stopped after reading this book.I was a bit sceptical at first but it works....believe me.No withdrawel symptoms,no biting your fingernails....simple.

He went from smoking 80 a day to zero,and then went on to earn his living by helping people to stop.What have you got to lose?

Unfortunately the 80 a day had already done its damage,and he died last year(I think)from cancer,but his books are still selling well.

Good luck with quitting pal. I havent smoked myself but alot of close mates and family have quit and on the most part the ones that have permanently quit just did it on a whim. They got up one morning and just thought f it and havent started again.

Bear with it pal, just think of all the extra cartridge you can buy with the money your going to save.

All the best pal

Dan

I'm on Champix now and i haven't had a cig for over 2 months and to be honest i wouldn't want one(i used to smoke 25 a day for over 25 years). I got a few mild side affects,( light headaches, nausea and had trouble sleeping for a few days, but this soon passed). Keep it up mate it will be worth it in the long run, i already feel a lot healthier, no more wheezing and coughing. Good luck, i hope you do it.

thanks everyone :yes:

i tried the gum and stuff in the past and it didnt really work for me, so decided im going to try these. not too bad so far, i usually smoke like a train but took the first tablet a few hours ago and im surprised cos im noticing a difference already; i didnt smoke for a couple of hours til one of my mates arrived in and lit up (thats gonna be stopping...), and just took the dogs for a walk there and when i got home i realised i hadnt had a smoke, i usually smoke 2 or 3 when im out with them ??? i wasnt going to say anything about it til i got a couple of weeks over me, but the doc worried me a bit earlier by asking if id ever suffered from depression, as apparantly these can trigger it - thankfully ive never suffered from it but its a bit worrying :good:

dancake i was in the same situation, been talking about quitting for months. im the first to admit i enjoy a smoke, but it was only last week when i was pricing guns online that it finally sunk in. was looking at one that cost £1500 and complaining about the price til my mate pointed out that i spend more than that each year on cigs :blink: i dont know if its going to work or not, but we'll see :D

as for pink elephants and big cats, im about to head out lamping, so ill take a few buckshot and the digital camera with me just in case ;):) :) :lol:

Edited by Ozzy Fudd

We don't see pink elephants over here for some reason :good: Though no doubt if we did we'd either try to shoot it or invite it out for a drink :yes: On a serious note, one thing I've noticed with smoking is just how much will power people really have, but yet are unable to use it. Take for example a 3 hour bus journey or flight. If a heavy smoker can cope this long BETWEEN cigarettes, just how much less would they smoke in a day?

Today marks 18 months since I last smoked. It can be done, you just have to want to do it.

I cant help you re the Champix as I did cold turkey, but the sooner you can stop substituting or using something else as a "crutch", the closer you will be to stopping altogether.

Good luck :good:

Ozz

I have taken 'em .

Full colour dreams

Another side effect that we can not mention here .

40 cigs a day marly reds , no fags , fags .

40 - 0 in 5 days .

No second head .

10 months in , and had more stress than you can even think about . Try vat , bank , theft , loosing house , wife kids . Still not smoking .

Go fella , it's great .

all the best yis yp :good:

Good luck mate with the drugs, but have to ask do you really won't to stop or just thinking i should or thinking if i do stop i can buy such and such, i can tell it won't work, get it in to your head you don't need or even want to smoke and you will!! I've stopped and have yanked after a smoke now and again but it;s just a silly whim!!

thanks yp, now youve got me terrified of going to sleep! :yes:???:)

just messing, glad they worked for you. im just back from a bit of shooting, only had one when i was out and didnt even finish it, they dont taste right :blink: ill post more when i get another few days over me, see how its going.

ps just back from a bit of shooting, we hardly needed the lamps its that bright out there, got a few rabbits with the shotguns. didnt see any pink elephants or big cats, though i did have a run in with a black rabbit that scared the **** outta me by jumping out at my feet :good::)

Good luck mate with the drugs, but have to ask do you really won't to stop or just thinking i should or thinking if i do stop i can buy such and such, i can tell it won't work, get it in to your head you don't need or even want to smoke and you will!! I've stopped and have yanked after a smoke now and again but it;s just a silly whim!!

na i do want to stop, im fed up with the yearly chest infections and puffing and wheezing all the time, not to mention how my chest feels after a night drinking. the problem is i enjoy a smoke and so kept putting it off, just that conversation the other night finally made it sink in :good:

I had the chest infections.Antibiotics to clear them up.Every time i got a cold it would end up as a chesty cough.Finally decided enough was enough and stopped two years ago.Though i never once thought i was addicted i always looked at it as a habit.I really enjoyed a fag and would have one tomorrow.But i know that i do not want to go down the road of chest infections again.I had stopped before but it never used to last long.This time i stopped i found it really easy because i really wanted to stop.Best of luck to you but if you manage it you will start to feel a lot better for it. :good: