Woodcock

Fisherman Mike

The Woodcock is wonderful shy retiring wader often refusing to be put to flight until the very last minute. Generally fly at night on their migration. They don’t eat Crops and do zero damage. They are not bred captively to be released and shot, offer very little meat and I cant really see the point in gunning them down for the sake of ones own self esteem. They are in decline nationally along with Snipe and Jacksnipe. I leave them alone as I like to see them about. Why do other members feel it necessary to shoot Woodcock ?

This is a serious question not a criticism. :yes:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a great deal on them but what there is is worth its wait in gold to me

i absolutely love it

i very rarely hit them but see a hell of alot where i shoot so dont mind taking the odd brace

Edited by TJ91

Not a great deal on them but what there is is worth its wait in gold to me

i absolutely love it

i very rarely hit them but see a hell of alot where i shoot so dont mind taking the odd brace

I'm quite the reverse - The meat is like the strongest liver i've ever had - I like gamey meat, but woodcock is a touch too much for my delicate constitution.

As such. they are off the FCS quarry list!

I'm quite the reverse - The meat is like the strongest liver i've ever had - I like gamey meat, but woodcock is a touch too much for my delicate constitution.

As such. they are off the FCS quarry list!

and i love liver..kidney.. there isnt many parts of an animal i wont eat

and there isnt any animal i have tried that i dont like!

woodcock, teal and canada goose are at the top of my eating list

I'm with TJ, best game meat out there, and more on them than you would think. :good:

In deference to quoted numbers I have been seeing more woodcock year on year, plus their numbers are being swelled massively at this time of year by the migrant birds.

Each to their own though, I like to see hares when out and about so don't shoot them unless asked......

The Woodcock is wonderful shy retiring wader often refusing to be put to flight until the very last minute. Generally fly at night on their migration. They don’t eat Crops and do zero damage. They are not bred captively to be released and shot, offer very little meat and I cant really see the point in gunning them down for the sake of ones own self esteem. They are in decline nationally along with Snipe and Jacksnipe. I leave them alone as I like to see them about. Why do other members feel it necessary to shoot Woodcock ?

The woodcock is not in decline

The guys i shoot with hate them coming near me as i dont shoot them ,i did in the past but always said if i ever got a left and right i would never lift my gun to 1 again so i dont plus there very nice looking birds in flight :yes:

did not know they were in decline tho where did you read or hear of this please ? :good:

where are the numbers in decline where are you getting the info from :hmm:

i have to admit that woodcock dont often offer a real test of marksmanship, and they are quite easy to knock down. i am by no means sore on them, i would shoot about a dozen each season. its the thrill about never knowing when they will spring up that gets me going. i disagree about the comparison to liver, dont think they are anything remotely like liver, and they have ample meat on them. put it this way, they have as much on them as a teal if not more. like sako i cant abide anyone who would look to shoot big bags of woodcock, but i know it goes on unfortunately. its a very short season on them, and they are widespread throughout the uk when they arrive from russia etc, so i feel justified in potting a few for the soup pot

Woodcock can be testing, and on occasion present a dangerous shot.

I've shot towards several over the years but never hit one; not because I couldn't hit it, but because I didn't wish to, but also didn't wish to face the wrath of other guns for not taking the shots.

webber

Numbers on our shoot are building (since 1995) and looking back through out shoot log the best month by far is January. Most of out syndicate have stopped shooting them when they break from cover and are shot from behind but we take a small number in front when they are driven. If the numbers shot were considered high compared with he numbers we flushed the concensus would be to stop shooting them. Delightful little game bird that are a treat to eat and always a sporting shot.

I think: 1) they taste good,(as do snipe)

2) there is a fair bit on them!

3) they are not easy to shoot,(although some easier than others).

4) I am not aware of any decline?

5) I don't like liver :lol:

:good:

Why do other members feel it necessary to shoot Woodcock ?

Taste, purely and simply, why do people eat chocolate, taste....... why do people eat quails eggs......why do people eat mussels......

Woodcock, grouse, teal, in no particular order, all small, all (bar possibly teal) not very numerous, but all soooooooooooo very tasty.

Your source ??

I beg to differ, with respect, both Woodcock, Snipe and Jacksnipe are SPEC European Conservation status. Categorised as a Species of European Conservation Concern BTO Amber list. Birds showing marked decline over a 10 year recording period last census results 2009.

Any idea why the numbers have declined? Is it habitat, adverse weather? What were the numbers and what are they now? Is the "problem" localised e.g. numbers are poor in the South West? Is shooting an issue? If so why and where should there be more restraint?

Edited by Whitebridges

its true across parts of mainland Europe woodcock are in decline mainly due to over shooting. But in the UK there is no evidence of this , but numbers vary widely between winters. I survey breeding woodcock in Norfolk and our woods have between 5 and 12 roding males , but there is no trend up or down.

Flighting woodcock at dusk are one of the hardest birds to hit and even driven birds provide a sporting shot. As for their eating qualities , they are good to eat. There is nothing wrong with shooting them as long as you do not over do it.

its true across parts of mainland Europe woodcock are in decline mainly due to over shooting. But in the UK there is no evidence of this , but numbers vary widely between winters. I survey breeding woodcock in Norfolk and our woods have between 5 and 12 roding males , but there is no trend up or down.

Flighting woodcock at dusk are one of the hardest birds to hit and even driven birds provide a sporting shot. As for their eating qualities , they are good to eat. There is nothing wrong with shooting them as long as you do not over do it.

Amen