Baikal shotguns - your views

coneyhunter

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a sste IJ-27 o/u I paid £120 for and think it's great, they mostly tend to have fairly tight chokes as far as I can tell, I was originally looking for something choked at 1/4 & 1/2, but bought one choked at 1/2 & full, not really been a problem so far, it shoots where I point it! If you want a true reliable work horse gun, go for it! :good:

• 2 months later...

great no frills typical russian engineering fantastic value for money and almost everyone has had one as for rough shooting they are spot on and who cares if it gets scratched

20 years back they used to get imported into my in laws warehouse and the insurance on them and customs value were £10 each :lol:

All these good comments are great advertising for the Baikal SBS ejector that I have in the sales section £150 and the stock has just been re-finished. Cracking gun for walked up/rough shooting. My Browning is having some tweaks done at the mooment so I'm gonna take the Baikal out tomorrow.

I need to sell it though to pay for the repairs on the browning!

• 2 years later...

I have a 1965 single barrel 12 bore Baikal and its the gun i always pick up when I go for a wonder around the fields, it has sling swivels which I like so I can throw it over my shoulder when rolling a cigarette, I haven't noticed it kick any more than any other shotgun I have used, I get on better with a single barrel and for the price I paid can't fault it as its tight and works like new.

Hello all,

i have been looking for a no nonsense rough shooting gun, something that i will not be concerned about knocking about,i have been offered a Baikal Sxs non ejecting 12 bore, it is quite old but has charm to it and the asking price seems very reasonable. It appears to be a bit stiff but seems to be very solid, the barrels give the impression they were made from a smelted tank!

After some research it seems that these rather basic looking guns are capable of astounding feats, submerged in quick mud and picked up and shot without issue, used as an emergency paddle, dug up from a salt marsh and fired, used as a makeshift hammer, fired with both 12 and 20 g cartridges at the same time ,used to subdue a rhino.....the list seems endless.

I dont doubt for a second that many shooters on here own them and i would like to hear your thoughts, views and stories if poss.

Yep, they probably were made from a tank, and if you forget your shovel, you can use it to dig the tank out if it gets stuck!! LOL. Still a very good workhorse. :good:

I have a sxs dtne and an o/u single trigger ej. Woodwork is as ugly as sin but the metal bits snap into place and don't go wrong. Land rover defender of the gun world.

since when did defenders not go wrong? Everybody I know who has owned one has been back to the garage so much the darn things must know the route on their own! I mean its not unusual to be invited to the mechanics family BBQ if you own one very long LOL.

Only earlier this week our friend was here and hers was going up and down on the air suspension all on its own accord while sat idling on the drive- 'twas like one of them there hip hop cars LOL was considering going inside to find some pants that didn't fit and showed mi Bill Grundies off!

Good old Russian engineering mind you - totally different Breaking one of them things takes some doing even for a Russian farmer (which are an even rougher handed breed than ours). A Rusky farmer don't use bailer twine to fix-up broken stuff he uses steel lifting cable. Might not look like a Purdy or Holland and Holland but Crikey they can take some stick

Edited by kent

My first gun was a russian single still have, the stock is plain simple wood, the barrel looks like a polished up length of steel water pipe and if you aim it in the right direction it will kill and kicks like a mule (never had bruised shoulder of of this or any other gun). Just like the AK47 made to work no matter what you do to it.

Dude ! I bought an old Baikal Hammer Gun, 12G SXS double trigger non ej for £100 . I bought it cuz I had waited ages for my SGC and wanted to finally own a shotgun.

I intended to save up and get a "Decent" gun soon after. 2 years on and I am still shooting the Baikal !! I love the little beast ! and so does everyone that sees it at my local ground. Mine is choked Full & Full so you do have to be accurate with it........that said, I have hit 44 out of 50 at English sporting, and have taken 1st place many times ( Bristol Clay Shooting ).

My little russian gun gets more attention that a Perrazi MX12.........people cant believe how good it shoots and many people have asked for a go with it.

I take it pigeon shooting and put 32gm Clear Pigeon carts through it.........yes it kicks like a mule !! But I bet I have more fun with this gun that most people do with theirs !!

I am still yet to buy a "Decent" gun as I am head over heels with my Baikal.........please do buy one mate......they are better than you think. ( If you run out of ammo you can always club things with it, it will not mind ) :)