Are they really getting that MPG?

masterzone2

Last year with the scrappage deal still in effect

My father traded in a £1500 heap pick-up for £3500 against a new top model corsa

they were quoted STUPID MPG on the thing

Now the reality is that his old F reg merc 3.0 Auto

does better MPG both in town and on the run and he has been watching this for over a year

Couple this with My Hilux does better than his merc

just to give you an idea (and remember we have been keeping notes for about a year)

Corsa 25MPG

Merc 30MPG

Hilux 32-34MPG

This Is just what we have discovered and I am now interested to find out if

this "may" be the case for others if you find similar things with yourselves let me know

For those wondering the point of this, it is a bit of an observation with myself and some others involved

just to see if our theory is correct or not.

thanks for any help you may be able to give us.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MPG is down to the driver at the end of the day. Even so i struggle to get lower than 56mpg in my little Diesel Clio, and i've tried to get it lower, i cant. Friends of mine manage 80mpg out of the same car!

However my parents recently changed from a 3.0 subaru to a 2.5L and the difference in MPG is about 2 (admittedly a different car), but personally i would of preferred the 6 cyl sound track to the current 4cylinder one.

The Prius is another false economy, they return very poor MPG for a car with such Eco credentials.

If your fathers Corsa is a small engined one and he drives it like a large engined car then i would expect very poor economy. Some of the smaller engine hatch backs return less MPG than their more powerful models. You have to work the engine harder to do the same journey, the result is worse MPG.

Edited by dunganick

My 1995 Astra 1.7 TD (Isuzu engine) does about 50 mpg all day, probably do a lot better on a long run...and it runs on a diesel/used veg oil mix very well :blink:

I remember Top Gear doing a test on their track. They had a super-eco mini car which I forget, plus a 4 litre V8 BMW or such. The cars aren't important...the little car ran flat out and the big cruiser followed it, both on a couple of gallons of petrol, the little car ran out of fuel first :yes:

Thrashing a little car to keep up on A roads etc. hammers the official figures into the deck :angry:

As stated either the Corsa is being driven everywhere in the redline or there is something wrong with it or your calculations.

There was an inter sting(?) article on the radio about in car computers and the mileage they claim you are getting versus the reality. It will come as no surprise that car manufacturers use all the tolerances in their favour, but I don't consider myself sad enough to work it out.

My golf tdi did (according the computer) 46.6 on a 1,000 mile round trip to Scotland, not hanging about, 3 up and packed to roof with luggage. I don't think that is bad, it will do much more driven carefully and 1 up of course.

Computer read out on wifes Mazda 2 says 40mpg overall - I have verified it by the full tank to full tank method as well so that's right - My car on other hand is more economical at 80mph constant than lower speed trying to get good economy 28 as against 23mpg.

next door neighbour has a Corsa and must say it is now quite a big car so if you have a small engine and thrash it I could see where low economy comes from.

Dave

My golf tdi did (according the computer) 46.6 on a 1,000 mile round trip to Scotland, not hanging about, 3 up and packed to roof with luggage. I don't think that is bad, it will do much more driven carefully and 1 up of course.

Long journeys always seem to help, we went shooting in Cumbria a few months back, 3 up L200 piled to the roof, 2 dogs shed loads of gear and it did 29.6 which I was impressed with, and that included a load of scrabbling round a mountainside on the actual shoot day :oops:

that corsa is either knackered or the maths is wrong

I think at least 90% of all drivers inflate their fuel economy figures! :yes:

Ian.

my summer car is a lotus kit with a nice V8 and depending on how you drive it affects the MPG.Being careful I can get 14 or 15 but if I drive it like I stole it (within the law and speed limit)high revs and low gears I can get down to 6 or 8 MPG.And thats not inflated :o

I recently bought a 1.3 Toyota Yaris, before that I had a 1.4 Corolla, I could get an average of 42mpg with the Corolla.

When doing the shopping my Missus filled up with Morrisons unleaded, average mpg was 37, which I though wasn't that good, the car was filled up for a month with supermarket fuel. I was coming back from Carlisle just before Xmas and the tank was 1/4 full so I filled up at a BP garage, after about 10 miles mpg was up to 44.

I have not filled up at Morrisons since and my average mpg is now 44 up to 50mpg on a run.

Is it worth buying supermarket fuel?

and don't forget 98% of statistics are made up ;)

Like it :good:

I do find alot of people do Bull sheet mpg figures, perhaps they are just trying to justify it to themselves?

I have a 15dci Nissan Micra, its a tuition car and driven accordingly :lol: - I average 50/55mpgs according to the computer.

I think something must be up with the corsa, be it driving style or engine?, they would no way be so popular in my game returning that sort of mpg?

It might be as simple as tyre pressure ( as someone said above)

On a recent car programme (can't remeber which one) they took a sample of cars and got a cross sample of people (old, young, male, female) to drive them in a variety of situations. The results they got were, to my surprise, similar to the manufacturers MPG.

my nephew has a 1.9 cdti vectra estate.....flogs it from norwich to newcastle (3 up and fully loaded car) and swears he's getting over 50mpg

i have a 2.0 tdi Altea and get about 46-48mpg on a run according to the trip comp.

As said before the only way to check is to fill it.......drive it as you normally would over a set distance and refill it, that will show how much you have used and can then work out your mpg.

shaun

I do a fair bit of mileage and about 18 months in a fit of penury ago traded my X type Jag 2.1 petrol auto which did 25 mpg on motorways, 21 round town and between 17& 19 on commutes in to central london.

I bought a 54 plate Renault Scenic 1.5 DCI diesel 48-50 on the london commute, 54 mpg for most other driving, 60 is possible if being lightfooted on the motorway. It may not be as Civilised as the Jag, even with leather, but theres bundles of room in and my fuel bill almost halved overnight. Only downsides- parts are frequently more expensive than the Jag :no: and a 30 barreled gun will not lie down flat in the boot!

The odd thing about this is that following how much we liked my cart we got a newer one in the family with a 6 speed box (mines 5 speed ) but we can't get fuel figures quite as good as mine from it! We think this is down to emission control equipment.

I do a fair bit of mileage and about 18 months in a fit of penury ago traded my X type Jag 2.1 petrol auto which did 25 mpg on motorways, 21 round town and between 17& 19 on commutes in to central london.

I bought a 54 plate Renault Scenic 1.5 DCI diesel 48-50 on the london commute, 54 mpg for most other driving, 60 is possible if being lightfooted on the motorway. It may not be as Civilised as the Jag, even with leather, but theres bundles of room in and my fuel bill almost halved overnight. Only downsides- parts are frequently more expensive than the Jag :no: and a 30 barreled gun will not lie down flat in the boot!

The odd thing about this is that following how much we liked my cart we got a newer one in the family with a 6 speed box (mines 5 speed ) but we can't get fuel figures quite as good as mine from it! We think this is down to emission control equipment.

I've got a 57 plate Megan with the same engine and 6 speed box. I get (not the wife though) 38 on stop start stuff about town, 50+for longer trips. Don't get much more than taht though

My 59 plate VW Golf GTD,170bhp, is supposed to do 55.4mpg combined.

If I drive carefully I can get 48-50mpg on a long drive. Driven "normally" i get about 36 mpg to a tank.

If it gets a spanking it gets down to about 23mpg.

On average I normally get between 34-38 mpg.

One thing I have noticed is if I leave the engine running for a while it really does affect the mpg alot.

My 59 plate VW Golf GTD,170bhp, is supposed to do 55.4mpg combined.

If I drive carefully I can get 48-50mpg on a long drive. Driven "normally" i get about 36 mpg to a tank.

If it gets a spanking it gets down to about 23mpg.

On average I normally get between 34-38 mpg.

One thing I have noticed is if I leave the engine running for a while it really does affect the mpg alot.

Thats the same engine as in my Seat Altea, never had it below 30 mpg though...

Shaun