myxomatosis

Not seen any round our area for ages (Thank God), and I don't want to, it's a filthy disease!

You will never totally eliminate the disease, all you can do is to try to kill as many effected rabbits in that area as you can and bury or burn the bodies as it is the fleas on them that carry the disease. With that point in mind I would advise against using ferrets where there is mixy as the fleas will transfer to the ferrets and then spread to other burrows as the ferrets work hense spreading the disease even more.

Once you have mixy on your land it is unfortunately very hard to eradicate it and it can be quite a while till the rabbit population manages to pick up again!

I hadn't seen it here in 3years, but it seems to be back now...badly :no:

We are going to go out and try to get rid of as many diseased bunnies as we can...what are your thoughts on disposing of the carcasses?

Ordinarily, they would be fed to ferrets/dogs/people, but I dont feel it is a good idea with myxi about...would they be ok in the general rubbish, obviously bagged up...

Got the remnants of it up here, most are comming up clean, probably from being holed up during the snow.

We have had another problem where in some places they dissapeared over night, pre snow time?

Frank

Could be RVHD - they just die in their burrows and you dont see any diseased ones, the rabbits just disappear.

Came across one at my storage (old barn on a farm)

The Rabbit had it alright HOWEVER was not just sitting there shaking

it was acting normal like any other rabbit.

There are some rabbits that it does not effect like some people catch AIDS

yet it dies out with in a short period of time.

It is quite possible this disease is dying out itself It was only a matter of time.

They,ve got it in my area to,and they seem to be acting normal,i just leave them and let nature take its coarse cos lots of them can recover from mixy,obviouslly only the stronger ones will survive,but they can then pass on there genes to the next generation of hopefully mixy free rabbits

They,ve got it in my area to,and they seem to be acting normal,i just leave them and let nature take its coarse cos lots of them can recover from mixy,obviouslly only the stronger ones will survive,but they can then pass on there genes to the next generation of hopefully mixy free rabbits

thats exactly as I do ie leave em alone dont shoot them, as the one you just shot may have been one of the 10% or so that WILL recover, it WONT however mean totally mixi free rabbits in your area, as they will only be immune to that particular strain of mixi.

KW

thats exactly as I do ie leave em alone dont shoot them, as the one you just shot may have been one of the 10% or so that WILL recover, it WONT however mean totally mixi free rabbits in your area, as they will only be immune to that particular strain of mixi.

KW

I agree,i really meant to say if you dont shoot the mixy ones and leave them to hopefully recover,and breed,then you should eventually have more rabbits :good: Just to add,i saw my first 2 young rabbits this morning,they looked like they were just out the nest for the first time for a look about,they were so tiny they were funny :lol: