weird Dead rabbit still alive? advice please? Posessed?

maverick123

Been out with the r10 tonight and shot two big rabbits, left them for 10 mins or so while i had a mooch about. came back and grabbed the knife from indoors went out to skin them. I skinned the first one no problems at all nice and clean meat, then the problem occurs. I went a bout skinning the second one in the normal way, head off, feet then skin and then gutted. Empty carcass looks in good nick again. Then out of know where the thing starts kicking and all its skin is like waving and pulsating? :no: surely it cant just be nerves? well it went in the bin as i didn't like the idea of eating it. :blink: the other one the ferrets have got for dinner! :P

I've had rabbits do that, I thought it was something to do with too much adrenalin in the system but the last one that did it was taken with a clean brain shot and it wasn't even alert to my presence beforehand. It's back leg was still twitching half an hour afterwards despite a pellet in the brain and a broken neck. Also had it with mackerel that have twitched a good hour after being caught and after removing the head and gutting.

It looks strange but there is no feeling in them just residual electrical energy in the nerves.

Guest rimotu66

Been out with the r10 tonight and shot two big rabbits, left them for 10 mins or so while i had a mooch about. came back and grabbed the knife from indoors went out to skin them. I skinned the first one no problems at all nice and clean meat, then the problem occurs. I went a bout skinning the second one in the normal way, head off, feet then skin and then gutted. Empty carcass looks in good nick again. Then out of know where the thing starts kicking and all its skin is like waving and pulsating? :no: surely it cant just be nerves? well it went in the bin as i didn't like the idea of eating it. :blink: the other one the ferrets have got for dinner! :P

Had the same a while ago, pursed it and the unwanted bits seemed to (not sure how to explain) pulsate ?

Anyway, didnt bother me to much and tasted ok :good:

I was a bit freaked out with one rabbit I head-shotted while out lamping last year. It was a clean kill, but I could feel it twitching and the muscles tightening as I carried it back to the car. I left it on the floor of the garage to cool, and went in there the next morning to skin it and couldn't find it. It had wriggled right across the garage floor and under an old chair. :blink:

It's a weird experience, it happened to me once, about 2-3 years back, I was out with my lad, we had a few and cleaned them.

This particular one was skinned, cleaned, head and boots off, ready for the pot, it was in a plastic bag and started twitching, went on for several minutes, both my lad and myself were totally bemused, very odd!

Yup, wasted a perfectly healthy rabbit.

Residual minute currents of electricity still fire around the muscles for some time after death, sometimes these are strong enough to create response in the muscles and can be triggered by physical contact.

Freaked me out a bit the first time I saw it too :lol:

PS I've seem in it happen most often in the loin - back muscles run the length of the CNS to the neck and have denser nervous connections I believe.

Edited by The Duncan

• 2 weeks later...

Wasted a good rabbit :yes: :yes: :yes:!

I breed my own rabbits (for exhibition) and any that don't make the grade go in the pot. Mine go from hutch to stove in a few minutes and quite often the loins (the best bit of meat) are still rippling and waving when I dice them up. The wife hates feeling dead meat still on the move, so I try to leave the loins on purpose for her to chop up - I'm all heart :lol: :lol: :lol:!

I have heard about the stress/adrenalin thing causing this and making meat tough, but I've not found it to be so. I cull the smaller ones by hand but with the larger rabbits I have to use a captive bolt. There's not stress prior to the event and death is instant (with a few residual kicks), but the butchered loins can still make a run for it across the chopping board :blink: :blink: :blink:

Nothing to worry about there mate :good:

Need only start to worry if they start shoot back at you :unsure: