.308 for foxing

NorfolkPoacher

For my money, if its a sole fox gun its a bit ott.If its a 'one gun does it all'scenario then i'd say go for it. Having shot both .243 and .308 out over 300m on ranges-(and .308 to 550m)i've always found the .308 to be the more predicatble round for windage etc over the .243.

Steyr .308 SSG has always been my preferred choice,

atb

fudds

bet you wouldn't buy one mainly as a fox gun though Steve

Correct mate. My main rifle for fox is my .243, which is excellent in my opinion. I bought the .308 mainly because I intend to use it on Boar, and, hopefully, small plains game.

I have zeroed it to shoot 1"high @ 100 yards using 150 grn SP's

Steve.

It has been suggested earlier but you will struggle to find a barrel/twist on a .308 which is equally at home with a 100g or 200g bullet!

You will, therefore, have to get a barrel that favours light .308, which in many ways goes against the whole reason/principle of the calibre.

There are only a handful of 100g bullets anyway (a few more 110g), and I don't know of any 100g factory loads, (I suspect there are some somewhere). Thats because the .308 is not best down there.

It you want 100g ammo then get a .243, (probably best, but there are other similar calibres offering 100g), if you want heavier get a .308.

I stick to 150g almost exclusively in my .308 because it works, and 90g almost exclusively in my .243, because it works and 55g almost exclusively in my .223 because it works. That does not compromise any calibre and gives a wide range of usefulness, consistency and effect!

On a one gun scenario, my view is for the original question .243 is the answer and not .308.

Any .308 will knock down a fox easily, but so to does my .22lr in the right circumstances! :yes::hmm:

For my money, if its a sole fox gun its a bit ott.If its a 'one gun does it all'scenario then i'd say go for it. Having shot both .243 and .308 out over 300m on ranges-(and .308 to 550m)i've always found the .308 to be the more predicatble round for windage etc over the .243.

Steyr .308 SSG has always been my preferred choice,

atb

fudds

a most unusual find most well thought of calibre by target lads is 6mm and a .243" ackerly held the 1000 yds British bench rest record untill the short magnums came about. the only thing target lads realy like about .308 in my own experiance generally is it gives a more level playing field being used soley in certain events

my issue with a 308 round us is throwing a relatively slow moving heavy projectile means you have to be extra careful. With a .243 and a 55 grain vmax doing 4000fps you can take shots with a fair degree of certainty it won't ricochet and if it does it won't have as much energy remaining as a 150 grain bullet. This case all depends on what he is going to shoot if its a few foxes then no problem if its lots then the .243 wins. Realistically not many people have the pockets to be shooting large red stags regularly so unless these are on the menu then the .243 will deal with pretty much anything else the country can offer deer wise. Bearing in mind the original request was for a fox gun and the "occasional" deer

i shoot .308 at fox and deer. Mine is setup for 125gr Noslers, which it chucks out at 3000fps, from a short 20" barrel (Tikka).

It is quite happy with 178gr A-max or heavier as well, very versatile. I find the 125gr nosler to be a very good bullet indeed. Foxes die with a sensibly large hole in them, and deer (roe thus far) aren't more mangled than a 243 either. That setup is perfectly happyon either quarry, is pretty flat (125gr NBT has a decent BC) and not bad in the wind.

As dual purpose goes, I think the 308 is a deer rifle which can also shoot foxes happily. It's not an out-and-out fox rifle, and if the fox is the primary quarry then 243 with 55-70 gr bullets will be better. However, if it's a 50/50 mix of both, I'd take 308 because it's better on the deer than 243, and the fox doesn't know a lot about either!

I used a 308win for years as my all round rifle, long range goats and spotlighting foxes, it should be just fine.

Another option is a 25cal or .264 as great all round choice, but I have always found the 6mm family to be a poor choice for deer.

my issue with a 308 round us is throwing a relatively slow moving heavy projectile means you have to be extra careful. With a .243 and a 55 grain vmax doing 4000fps you can take shots with a fair degree of certainty it won't ricochet and if it does it won't have as much energy remaining as a 150 grain bullet. This case all depends on what he is going to shoot if its a few foxes then no problem if its lots then the .243 wins. Realistically not many people have the pockets to be shooting large red stags regularly so unless these are on the menu then the .243 will deal with pretty much anything else the country can offer deer wise. Bearing in mind the original request was for a fox gun and the "occasional" deer

you keep on comming up with this light and fast fragmenting thing Al4x "fair degree" it certainly doesn't mean never, seriously it is a good thing to do but there should never be a shot you take with one you wouldn't feel comfortable taking with the other.

• 7 years later...