rape harvest

ste eibar

Can anyone tell me at what stage the rape fields will be cut.

Most of my permission is 3 to 4ft deep in the stuff.

When it is cut is this a good time to try decoying. :unsure:

usually around late july early august if its dry around that time..

and its one of the best for decoying over :good:

yeh,wen its swathed or jst stubble best time,around late july mid august :good: decoys very good but if u have a magnet then fill ya boot up :lol: good luk mate,.ps..have a wanda round ya fields see if the corners are cained if so set up u can still pull few birds in..luk 4 the signs :rolleyes:

Its definately what I wait for each year,almost all my best bags have come on swathed or harvested rape fields,if you can get on the first field in the area to be cut they go mental for it.

One word of warning if you use a dog leave it at home the cut stalks are like arrows and for the same reason dont go in shorts ! :no:

Its definately what I wait for each year,almost all my best bags have come on swathed or harvested rape fields,if you can get on the first field in the area to be cut they go mental for it.

One word of warning if you use a dog leave it at home the cut stalks are like arrows and for the same reason dont go in shorts ! :no:

Absolutely. I had 3 100+ bags in a fortnight off 3 fields less than a mile apart on rape stubble last year. Looking forward to July/August.

• 4 weeks later...

my best ever day way 301 for exactly 500 carts in 8 hours had to stop due to running out of carts. this was on 2 day old harvested rape. i wore shorts and my legs were in agony when i got in the bath that night!

the pigeons were suicidal i ended up taking my gun with me when tidying up the pattern as they were coming in with me there! i ended up with a pattern of over 100 birds too! who says big patterns dont work!

im in afghan at the mo but get back in mid july fingers crossed and cant wait for the harvest! just hope its not too early! i have about 100 acres of the stuff to shoot over! :good:

matt

Proberbly the best stubble to shoot over . Get on it early as the seed left on the field will self propergate in no time ,especially if it gets a rain on it . Beggers beliefe how the pigeons can see the rape seed on the ground .

Harnser .

Wait until it`s black then a couple of weeks after is the usual cutting time, as people have said July time, we spend days on the stuff, at the time of harvest we shoot the rabbits then setup the decoys and go for the pigeons, i don`t see any swathed rape down my way it`s always cut and harvested standing. They stick around on the stubble for ages but some of my landowners disc it over really quickly sometimes.

Get plenty of shells in you will need them rape is one of the best crops to shoot over

Thats very good news to me because I have a few fields of the stuff on my permissions.

Happy days indeed.

Regards

Zaiyn

Edited by Zaiyn

They are spraying rape of here in the next 3 to 4 weeks then about 7 to 14 days after weather being good.. they will start so that should be good, where we are they are hitting the rape now in low parts, i think mainly eating chick weed in the rape. but there is a growing number over the rape now hoping to get out friday on them.

It's rubbish when it's cut mate.

Stay at home and I'll pop up there to have a look, if it's any good I'll give you a shout.

Shame when you have to explain youself! :lol:

For the OP. Best go ask farmer when he's going to be cutting it. If you turn up on the day you're likely to get some good bunny shooting and maybe a fox or two! After that it'll be pigeons all the way! :good: