The cheapest beer in the UK?

ack-ack

I'd walked past the savers/basics/own label bargain basement beer on many occassion whilst searching for tinned and bottled bargains in the supermarket BWS aisles and last week, after months of viewing them with trepidation thought I'd give them a try. 98p for four cans of 2.1% beer had bad news written all over it but I thought at the very least I could use them for making fish batter.

What a revelation! They are chuffing marvelous! Light, refreshing, cheap, and as the tesco ones have the calorific content on the side almost good for you as they only contain 40 calories!!!! You can smash a four pack and still be under the daily recomended alcohol intake.

I must admit taking half a trolley load of them through the check out is on par with purchasing a top shelf magazine (probably) in the anxiety stakes but well worth it.

Any body else sampled this underated delight?

Any body else sampled this underated delight?

Aye, I went through a phase of it, but after a while you realise it's watery **** :-)

Fosters (slightly stronger ****) is my drink du jour at the minute.

Nial.

I'd walked past the savers/basics/own label bargain basement beer on many occassion whilst searching for tinned and bottled bargains in the supermarket BWS aisles and last week, after months of viewing them with trepidation thought I'd give them a try. 98p for four cans of 2.1% beer had bad news written all over it....................Any body else sampled this underated delight?

I used cheap bitter in slug traps a few years ago, with quite good results.

(They got out 3 times to go to the toilet! :lol: )

I used some in slug traps and it goes jelly like when left in the sun...............NO WAY AM I DRINKING THAT STUFF !!!!

Can't beat a ride on the inter Stella porter for me,although i don't drink to get drunk the continental larger cannot be beaten.

99% of the Stella drunk in England is brewed in Luton. I call it "Luton ****water". As I type I'm having a can of Tyskie, it beats Stella hands down.

I used to drink a 'fair bit' of Kronenbourg or Carlsberg Export but now I don't drink lagers and I don't drink during the week anymore, I'm happy with a bottle of red and white at the weekend. Usually after I get back from shooting and I've done the kids dinners. :good:

atvb

sg1(too many!! :blink: )

Lidl do some great deals on the classic beers in 500ml bottles like Marston's, or Hobgoblin, Dogbolter etc. They were doing them for 99p a while back and although the range and price changes they are usually around £1.19. The same in Tescos is £1.78 and they are cheap by most comparisons

Their cans are very good as well. I have never bought their wines but I was suprised to in see a review of supermarket wines in one of the Sunday papers a while back that they came out very well.

Corona or sol with the lime, I cut up limes into segments and then freeze them, then when you open your bottle of corona, pop the frozen segment in and it keeps it cool and tastes nice...

Used to like fosters ice but it seems to be rare now...

Also a pint glass full of ice and filled with magners or gaymers pear cider.

Both of the above are refreshing and light and are nice sitting in the sun in the garden.

I very rarely drink now so the above is a nice change to have, I have a heap of bottles of hieneken in the fridge that is horrible and shall stay there for guests :lol:

Regards,

Gixer

In days of old, when knights were bold etc, 'small beer', weighing in at about 1.5% was drunk to avoid drinking the dodgy water. So drinking this lower alcohol stuff has some tradition to it. Although back in the day it was brewed by monks, not purchased by the trolley-load from Aldi.

Personally, although I occasionally enjoy a slight intoxication, I drink beer because I like the taste. It's taken me a lot of practice to get to this point but if I find a low alcohol beer that tastes like a real one and doesn't lead to the squits or whatever, I'll happily drink it.