Girlfriend won't have guns in the house.

Kidney505

Take her to the clay ground & get her interested in the sport/competitive side - idealy if there are some women shooting/learning :good: bring er up here & i'll get er indoors to act like she doesen't like guns & is shooting for the first time ;) ;) :D

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my other half is quite anti-gun, but we have a good relationship, so she supported me getting a shotgun. she is anti-gun to the point of refusing to look at it!

the other night, there was a loud noise in the garden at about 3am, woke us both up, first thing she said was "get the gun" :lol:

i was very surprised when i want my sgc ,when it arrived wife phoned me and told me to finish working and get home :hmm: ,when i arrived home she went straight out to the gun shop with me and i had my first gun with in 2 hours of cert landing on floor, year l8r ive had 5 guns 3 air rifles vitara for my hobby and ESS which my daughter bought for me ,and keeps telling me to apply for my FAC not got the balls to ask farmer for permission for fac

Yea I know thats the approach I'm gonna have to take if it come to it (and I will) but I was hoping to find a way to put it a little more subtley if possible :hmm: . I asked on here because as it goes I'm pretty blunt and down to earth.

Hmm, you're going to have to find out with some careful questioning what her fears are.

If for example she's frightened about guns beng used in the home, frightened of accidents, frightened of kids getting hold of them or drunken adults then maybe promising that there will never be any ammunition in the house might help your cause.

Guns are a very emotive issue for most non shooters, many people can't think reasonably about them which is completely understandable - 99% of their contact and exposure to guns is of guns as tools of violence, intimidation and murder!

If you can render them safe metal tools with no ammunition then it might help?

$0.02! Good luck mate.

Edited by safetyfirst

If your other half is trying to restrict your enjoyment, hobby, sport call it what you will, at this early stage in both of your lives. I would wish you both the very best.

You were both attracted to each other for what you are, what you do as individuals, even before your living together she is requesting you change to what she prefers, then she will moan about you not being the person who she met years ago. For goodness sake man grow some testi's.

We took a lad out the other night who had asked to tag along . His phone was constantly ringing . It was his girlfriend asking where he was and later telling him he had to come home . He was only a youngster , what life is that and how insecure must she be .

You are what you are steered in the direction your parents have chosen . You are the master of your own destiny now you have reached adulthood

If you need telling what to do and when to do it that's your choice . Make your bed and lie in it but don't expect sympathy when it all goes wrong later

Crikey after reading this i now see what a good un i must have, my mrs has no issues with guns/cartridges being in the house and pays no attention when they are layed out on the kitchen table for cleaning etc. I am sure you as a certificate holder are more than aware of the laws and safety issues involved, so tell her to get over it as the guns are coming whether she does or not :lol:

(easy to say on the keyboard , more difficult if it was me telling my mrs :lol: :lol: )

Same here the only thing she moans about is when i get oil over the kitchen work top and forget to clean it up :innocent: The same with game as she likes ducks they are the only things i cannot bring into the house to prepare.

Lots of bravado on this thread ,I just wonder who would actually choose their guns over their partner .

That is a very good point. Lots of us are talking about our wives/partners like they don't really matter that much. Mine means the world to me. I would be lost without her and it would ruin me. Having said that it would depend on the reasoning if she ever asked me to give up shooting.

If she had an experience that made her uncomfortable around guns I would seriously consider it. If she asked just because she didn't like them I would see that as very one sided and unreasonable. I would never ask such a thing of her so why should she expect it of me. As much as it would hurt, a simple "it's the guns or me" could quite possibly result in us going our seperate ways.

At the end of the day I am who I am. I would do anything for my girl, but I can only ever be me. If she can't live with me how I naturally am then maybe her leaving would be for the best.

She's very good anyway. There's a lot of talk of marriage lately and my answer was "if we get married I'd like a Unimog as a wedding car" Her reply - "well it's your day as much as mine and if that's what you want then that's what we'll have" :o :D

I'm with njc110381.

When I decided to take up shooting it wasn't something I'd rushed into I'd spent time with friends trying their guns and making sure I really wanted to get into it. When it came to the time to want my own gun my wife was intially concerned about having guns in the house because she had no experience of them and only based her opinion on what was in the news.

I took time to explain that they would be locked away in a secure safe to which only I had access and there would be no problems.

She thought about it and saw that it was something I really wanted to do and so agreed, she even gave me half the money for my gun as a birthday present.

Now 5 years on she doesn't give them a 2nd thought and I have space in the utility room to clean them so she doesn't see them and I don't get oil over the kitchen table. She does however object to me waving dead pheasants in her face or leaving them hanging over a chair in the kitchen as she doesn't like their dead beady eyes.