How to clean a Barbour

Mungler

Alright, I have a rancid and very smelly Barbour.

How do I clean it?

I understand that machine washing is an absolute no no.

Can I go to a Dry Cleaners and get them to do.... whatever it is that needs to be done to get the damn thing clean and not smelling like my shed.

Ta very.

Alright, I have a rancid and very smelly Barbour.

How do I clean it?

I understand that machine washing is an absolute no no.

Can I go to a Dry Cleaners and get them to do.... whatever it is that needs to be done to get the damn thing clean and not smelling like my shed.

Ta very.

I thought Bagsy was the Barbour Guru :lol:

My dad washed his on a cold wash in the machine and it was fine after he re-waxed it :good:

Had many a barbour jacket over the years . Never had one that was waterproof . 30 years ago they were proberbly the best jacket out there , I would never give another one house room as there are far better jackets that are actually waterproof . Burn it mungler and buy something gortex . Go for one of the River west jackets ,I have one and it is without a doubt the best waterproof and warmest jacket that I have ever owned . Guaranteed waterproof for 10 years or your money back .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

who uses wax jackets nowadays anyway :hmm: great for beating :yes:

but i remember when i first started out shooting,when it rained kept you very dry,but would go really heavy to wear and go stiff so couldn,t shoot properly with one and when it was really cold same thing could hardly move in the dammed things have a very old ripped torn one under the stairs thats where it,s staying :lol:

What's the Bobby Moore sending it back to Barbour then and what's the damage?

Used to be quite dear, I had a Durham lightweight jacket that wore through on the cuffs and a couple of other places they sorted that out and re-proofed it, but TBH since wearing 'high tech' stuff I can't see ever wearing one again.

I spent a day in fishing boat on the Thames years ago and it hosed down all day long, I had a Barbour jacket and over trousers on and when I got out I was as dry as a bone, but as soon as you do anything they just sweat up inside.

I had one that went smelly and just binned it in the end, nothing would get the musty stink out of it.

Mine's gone back for repair before as I wrecked a nice new one within a season of ferreting due to the nature of the land I work. :blush:

This time of year is best to send it back as they are quiet!

Don't put it in a washine machine. Instead just spread it out on a table or chair outside on a warm day and wash it with a wet cloth/kitchen towel and cold water. You can then re-proof it and whack out the hair drier to ensure it gets melted into the seams etc.

I love mine and it's ability to keep people away from me when I have wanted a seat in the common room this winter has been absolutely devine. They are also untouchable as far as smashing your way through thick undergrowth and brambles go, which as it happens I do regularly for fun because I own ferrets. :oops:

FM :)

Have never cleaned mine and it's over 10 years old.Stop being a wuss and just re-wax it.

They're cold and clammy when you first put them on,not breathable,you sweat like a pig if the sun comes out,they'll keep out the rain if you wax them properly,but if your legging aren't waterproof you'll be wet from the legs down,they stink in other peoples opinions,they're old fashioned and outdated.Would I have another?YEP...love 'em. :good:

one thing if you bung it in the machine expect it to loose a load of wax in there and make the machine smell and gain the wrath of the missus.

Personally I'd put it on the washingline coat the inside with carpet cleaner / febreze and pressure wash it

I thought Bagsy was the Barbour Guru :lol:

My dad washed his on a cold wash in the machine and it was fine after he re-waxed it :good:

Yeah baby....wax on, wax off...rainy day spent in the kitchen getting hot and sweaty :lol: :lol:

Stuck the tin of wax in water, boiled it until it was clear liquid (remember to remove the lid girls), used a small sponge to spread it over the jacket and a hairdryer to smooth it over.

Good jacket worth keeping for days when you don't want to ruin a decent one :good:

They're great for walking the dog in and for wearing at a country pub, but that's about it. Too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter and not entirely waterproof.

Mung - If you're after a new one, get thee to Braintree Freeport cos they got a factory outlet there.

wash as advised ,then hang on coat hanger and spray with duck oil(aerosol)or good old wd 40 and hang some where for a few days for the smell to dissapear and bobs your unc :good:p s ,i also did this with all my shooting caps (tweed)and realtree caps and it works a treat(hang in airing cupboard)and you will be fully water proof for about £1.00 a can -poundshop job. :good: :good: kushty

Edited by jason airarms tx