Which cartridge for a semi-auto 12g

Hi chaps, I'm just starting out with shotguns, and need some advice on what size/weight/length cartridges to use in a Franchi raptor 712. Uses will be mainly clays, but also for pidgeons too.

It's all very confusing to a newbie on which to get, and I couldn't find a definitive guide using the search function, so i'm asking here if it's the correct forum :blush:

Thanks fellas, what effect would smaller cartridges have, as the guys I've been out with use 24g i think?

The Franchi Raptor has something that you can adjust for light or heavy loads, would you say that a 28g cartridge is classed as a "light load" ?

I use a Benelli, different sytem I think but that will cycle 24g and even 21g cartridges without any problems. If your gun is adjustable, try a box of 24g, they will certainly be lighter on your shoulder (but less lead in the air, of course). My local clay ground owner can hit anything on his ground with 21g, so try and see what you like. Good luck. :good:

Hi mate i have a franchi raptor aswell. I use 30g / shotsize 6 gamebore clear pigeons for clays and vermin shooting, i did put a few boxes of eley olympic 28 gram 7.5s through it and they were good aswell. Just keep the action nice and clean with light smearing of gun oil, i've not had a jam yet! So easy to strip down and looks the mutts nuts!

Paul.

I used the new black cased clear pigeon 32g 6 shot cartridges for the first time this week and was very impressed. They really hit very hard. Very few runners, mostly just folded up completely in mid air. I was amazed that at 25-30 yards the birds were absolutely pole axed by a well placed pattern, not something I'd experienced with many cartridges other than the pure gold versions, which are real killers.

Great value and highly recommended.

Nip over to swillington and get a case of there own cartridges they are avaible in a couple of different loads,i have had no trouble with them in my auto and i think prices start at about £140 a thousand so i dont think they are badly priced. :good:

Iv used a semi auto mate and the following is what i have found they may not apply to you because every gun is different but :

Try to avoid less than 28 gram loads as they will not has sufficient recoil or power to work your semi auto's action every time

Try to avoid 2 1/2 inch shells as some (myn and my friends) jam as they try and release two cartridges at the same time from the magazine

*Find a cartridge that is reasonably priced, readyily avalible that you shoot well with and STICK TO IT ! i have wasted so much money and miss opertunities to get large bags of pigeons just because i kept swaping and changing the shells i fired

I used the new black cased clear pigeon 32g 6 shot cartridges for the first time this week and was very impressed. They really hit very hard. Very few runners, mostly just folded up completely in mid air. I was amazed that at 25-30 yards the birds were absolutely pole axed by a well placed pattern, not something I'd experienced with many cartridges other than the pure gold versions, which are real killers.

Great value and highly recommended.

I'm not being funny, but any cartridge should pole axe pigeons at 25-30 yards. All you have to do is hit the birds in the right place.

:rolleyes: There's a difference between killing them cleanly and absolutely destroying them. The clear pigeon cartridges were crunching them totally. As you say, any cartridge should kill cleanly at that range. I was just impressed how absolutely emphatically the CPs did it.

try gamebore super compition 28grams 8s av just started using them and the best av used in years or eley supergame 32 no.6s they do the job aswell :good:

Thanks for all the advice guys :good: I'm going to Swillington supplies tomorrow and see what they stock (why dont gunshops advertise what they store ?)

Can you order online delivery to your home?

Where is the best place to order from ?

Is it better to order direct from manufacturers?

• 12 years later...
On 23/07/2011 at 21:17, john12 said:

Nip over to swillington and get a case of there own cartridges they are avaible in a couple of different loads,i have had no trouble with them in my auto and i think prices start at about £140 a thousand so i dont think they are badly priced. :good:

£140 a thousand, £3.50 a box really!!

On 24/07/2011 at 22:56, brimmer said:

Thanks for all the advice guys :good: I'm going to Swillington supplies tomorrow and see what they stock (why dont gunshops advertise what they store ?)

Because they are unable to update their website as fast as the increasing cartridge prices I suppose  !

Buy the cheapest you can in a 70mm case length. Stick to 28 gram maximum for clays, some grounds insist upon 28 gram maximum. 

I shot 1000's of pigeons for 30 plus years, using mainly 28 gram 6's in a 20 bore Remington, with fixed 1/2 choke.

On 24/07/2011 at 22:56, brimmer said:

You can order cartridges through a few different online sites but there is usually a process to follow to get yourself setup on their systems. 

JustCartridges are probably the most popular but they do tend to be 15% - 20% more expensive than a local shop with a hefty delivery charge on top. Unless you're ordering in bulk with with a few mates to make the delivery charges worth while or you're after something rare like Bismuth 16 bore cartridges then there's no point. 

Local gun shops - Unless they have a pricelist you can look at while in the shop then don't bother and go somewhere else. If they aren't open with their pricing then it's likely they aren't giving you what you've asked for but what they want to sell at that time.