Landrover confirms Defender replacement

ajb403

Their new designer, Victoria Beckham, probably had a hand in it - like the Evoyuk. Why don't they ask people who use the damned things to contribute to the design? Maybe more are sold in Chelsea now farming is in the ****. Sad day.

Why make out that it is like a Rover? It doesn’t look much like a vehicle that is a utility vehicle that would be much use on a shoot or out on a farm. It looks more like a road car than a Landrover. Does that look like a 90 or 110? Would it be a pickup back where the dogs would be and you could chuck a few fence spiles or a roll of fence wire in the back? Are there side steps or seats that you can stand on I bet it’s got carpet in it! And what do you do when those lovely polished front wings encounter a tree.

This looks like a golden opportunity for some foreign manufacturer to walk in and take another of our ideas as they did with the motorbike industry. Because it looks like we are about to throw it all away.

Having owned and driven every model for the past 50 years all I can say is Fantastic and about time to !!.

No longer will we have to put up with uncomfortable, cold, archaic features with not a thought given to any semblance of comfort. No wonder I drive my Japanese pickup in preference to our LR. Quite why anyone would buy one for anything other than farm or forestry work I can't imagine.

The best news I've heard for years. I'm off to place my order now !!!!

No longer will we have to put up with uncomfortable, cold, archaic features with not a thought given to any semblance of comfort. No wonder I drive my Japanese pickup in preference to our LR. Quite why anyone would buy one for anything other than farm or forestry work I can't imagine.

Here's someone who doesn't appreciate Defender character.

You don't buy a Victorian house and complain when you realise you have low ceilings.

Edited by Billy.

I assume they would be using a similar drive-train and chassis to the normal defender?

Just upgrading [cough] the body and style?

If i were to guess i would say not i bet it will have some sort of tiptronic box or something like that or something based on the new disco drive-train i really think that its gonna be a car crash for LR if im honest,i do not no one gamekeeper or farmer, horse owners who would buy something like this and thats really the crowed who would use a "defender" :angry:

Having owned and driven every model for the past 50 years all I can say is Fantastic and about time to !!.

The best news I've heard for years. I'm off to place my order now !!!!

touch paper well and truly lit Charlie, you've got to give it to these people that live with one day to day and just don't know what they are missing out on in terms of comfort and reliability :lol:

I have a L200 but used to drive my dads defender more than him and i no what you mean i had the choice to have it when he died but i just could not do it,getting up at 3 to go down the marsh in the snow freezing my tits off not being able to see because the inside kept misting and freezing up, not warming up by the time i got to the marsh or on the way home when i was even colder,breaking down when i need to get to work or starting in the morning, so sold it and had the money :lol: but you got to love them though if i could have aforded a Puma i would have had one but they are crazy money so the l200 it is and im happy to have a little comfort and reliability :huh: you watch it will break down now :lol: :lol:

Edited by tigger

Lets hope Santana keep going...

santana_history_1.jpg

Oops

Really? lets not! the concept is too soft roader, Nissan crossover, Skoda yeti/roomster i was hoping for soemthing to compete with the L200, Hilux etc not the Rav4 and Yeti it looks tiny with no load capability at all (not that defenders are big and spacious....)

Seems TATA want it for the home market...047.jpg

Edited by HDAV

As much as the defender is an icon i can never work out why they are so popular especially the new ones, reliability is ****, comfort is ****, keeping warm in he winter is ****. If this new one addresses these problems while keeping the drive train simple and non-electronic so anybody can work on them i think they will be on to a winner.

Why are defender drivers normally wearing a high vis coat while driving????? To stay warm as they have to stick there arm out the window to steer it.

As much as the defender is an icon i can never work out why they are so popular especially the new ones, reliability is ****, comfort is ****, keeping warm in he winter is ****. If this new one addresses these problems while keeping the drive train simple and non-electronic so anybody can work on them i think they will be on to a winner.

Why are defender drivers normally wearing a high vis coat while driving????? To stay warm as they have to stick there arm out the window to steer it.

Its so when there defender breaks down they are safe and can be seen whilst working around the vehicle :lol: :lol: :lol:

It looks as if someone sawed the back off a Rangerover. The back wheel is very close to the back of the car, front similar, so it should have good approach and departure angles. The traction controls on the RR and Disco are actually very good, so if it has them it could be a very capable vehicle.

Regardless of how bad they are for comfort they take a beating that no jap vehicle will take, L200 are not a good example of a reliable hard wearing vehicle....toyota hilux? Yes....L200?....no!

Our shoot runs one and it is a money pit...even the last trooper lasted quite well but the L200 just seem soft!

If this new one addresses these problems while keeping the drive train simple and non-electronic so anybody can work on them i think they will be on to a winner.

I would bet that most of the reason is that the new Euro emission standards are making the existing drive train obsolete and un-saleable. If your hoping for no electronics and a simple engine / drivline you might be unluckey, the engines need the wizardry to hit the EuroV and 6 not to mention the new US ones.

I don't know why some people think the new land rover puma is a cold vehicle, it's not.

During the last winter with temperatures well below freezing mine had reached a nice warm temperature within minutes, complete fallacy to say they are slow to warm up.

I agree that earlier defenders were very slow to give out a bit of warmth, including my old TD5.

The land rover was copied from the jeep, and look how they have changed, though not exactly a farm animal.

I only hope the new type can be repaired on the mountain with a stilson and a hammer.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe it's time for Toyota to up their game and bring the FJ cruiser to the party. A guy I worked with in Dubai had one and took it out into the dunes every weekend. a very capable bus and still has a bit of that utilitarian feel about it and you know it's going to run for ever.

post-25773-0-63194700-1316895327.jpg

Edited by Sco77w

I am a 90 fan, but I reckon when they launched it some die hard "series" fans said it was too modern and didn't like it :yes:

I love the look of the new concept, but by the time I can afford one we'll know whether their as tough as a 90, but I won't be able to lift my leg high enough to get in by then :lol: