The penalties are just not high enough.

turbo33

On a weekly basis last year, the roadside drain covers were being nicked, over the last two weeks in particular, railway electric cable being hacked up and stolen, and as we move towards winter, the horse world will have thier tack, trailers, hay, and horses stolen. Now let me see :hmm::hmm: Who deals in scrap metal and also has a keen interest in horses :hmm::hmm:

This is the lates to hit my radar:

HorseLovers England wrote: URGENT NEWS!!! from Dressage At Hickstead Hickstead Thieves last night broke in and stole all tack, rugs, Dressage at Hickstead rugs, etc from Elsa and Emily Hamblin. But the worst bit is that they DROWNED THEIR BOXER DOG IN THE PROCESS to possibly stop him from protecting the property. Please please if you have any information or are offered an Amerigo or Weisenberger saddles or a Pass.....

I for one am sick of paying for these parasites. Its high time we had a law enforcement system in this country that had some effect :mad:

Edited by turbo33

You can put every single last drug dealer in jail, and there still will be a trade, why? because of people who supply it.

It's no different with scrap theft, as long as there are so many scrapyards who buy metals unchecked, there will always be thefts like this, if you want to stop it you don't come down hard on the ####'s, you come down hard on the scrapies.

Edited by Bleeh

.... as long as there are so many scrapyards who buy metals unchecked, there will always be thefts like this, if you want to stop it you don't come down hard on the ####'s, you come down hard on the scrapies.

You can come down as hard as you like on the Scrappies, all you'll do is move the problem elsewhere. Thieving scum are thieving scum, they're currently nicking metal because it's valuable enough to take the risk, close that door and they'll just nick the next easiest thing. Come down hard enough on the thieves and they'll be less likely to thieve.

Whilst on the topic of thieves, I had my rifle case stolen two days ago from a field I shoot in. The guy was about 250 yards from me and I never expected someone to walk 100 yards into the field and lift my case. The rifle was in my possession at the time of this happening. When something like this happens you can't help but feel sick. Hope the ****** falls down a hole full of porcupines.

Edited by Dancake

I think the biggest problem is the judicial system! Even if you manage to catch any of these thieving little toe rags the courts just give them a slap on the wrist and a fine and let them go to steal even more stuff to pay the fine. The same applies to all sorts of crime! If the courts weren't so leniant we might have less reoffenders!

The Muslims, brutal as it may be, seem to have low re-offending rates and lots of spare body parts for transplants.

its a case of two recorded thefts and there's nothing left to scratch your ariss. Maybe punishment somewhere between what we have now and what the muslim law would determine, and theives would decide its not worth it ? The permanence of punishment as well as the scale of it is important.

I think the biggest problem is the judicial system! Even if you manage to catch any of these thieving little toe rags the courts just give them a slap on the wrist and a fine and let them go to steal even more stuff to pay the fine. The same applies to all sorts of crime! If the courts weren't so leniant we might have less reoffenders!

Totally agree Frenchie mate, these people have nothing to lose by having a criminal record etc-it just doesnt matter to them. Need to be a lot strickter on the punishments for it to sink into these low lifes that if you do the crime you really do do the time!

Every year at Appleby Fair time i get my 4X4 done over. I have had wheels, catalytic converters, and various other bits nicked off them. I reckon in the last 4 years they have cost me and my insurer the best part of 10k. Police told me its not a priority crime !! You can imagine how pleased i was.

I have no time for gypsys, they act as if they own the town where i live, if they see their pals coming down the road from the opposite direction they will think nothing of pulling up in the middle of the road and having a 5 min chat stopping the traffic !! Woe betide the man who dares honk his horn at them !! Total bullies the lot of them, scum

I wasn't going to air this but what the hell. Whilst on holiday last week, I get a message from my mate sking me to phone him urgently. I had my phone off as I knew if I didn't then I just wouldn't get any peace with people leaving voice messages and sending texts.

I called him and he tells me that my office had been broken in to and that everything of any value had been taken, and then they trashed what was left by throwing paint around, slashing the chairs and pushing spikes in to the ceiling and through the roof. He's a good friend and tells me that there really is no point in coming back ashe can make good the door and that there really is nothing left for anyone else who should break in.

So, not only did it put a real downer on my only week I take as holiday each year. I have the nightmare of clearing it up and having to deal with loss adjuster who gets his money from how much he decides I can't claim for. Great!

For the record, they took all the copper tubing in my rack\stores, all the copper fittings that I had in bags, all the copper that was fitted in and used in the office kitchen & bathroom not to mention all stock, computers, printers, screens, tools, etc.

The worst of it is I'm having to use Mrs H's laptop which is a peesacrap as it keeps missing keys or decides to jump up several lines and start typing in the middle of another sentence.

I have done almost 25 years in the police and retire next week. My view is that the government are happy to allow a certain level of crime. It keeps the economy going, replacing stolen goods involves jobs in industry, distribution, retail and insurance as well as prison officers, court staff and police officers. The amount of £££s of goods stolen is a fair proportion of our domestic economy. Stolen goods find their way into the hands of those who could not afford to buy them in the usual way thus keeping the underclasses content.

What they won't allow is for crime to undermine the(ir) establishment as proved in the recent riots. They will find long term prison places for looters, but not muggers, sex offenders, car thieves, burglars and all the other low lifes who make our life a pain, but don't impact much on the ruling establishment.

As for the common notion that all of our travelling friends and immigrants are criminals and blaming them for all our woes; you are misleading yourselves. In our area the cable / wire thieves are home grown dole wallahs who I have been locking up all my career. Female teenage shoplifters outnumber foreign shoplifters by at least ten to one in our area. When a new iphone or Blackberry comes out there is a long queue of British people at our Enquiry Desk waiting to report the mysterious loss or theft of their previous model mobile phone and all are requiring a crime number to obtain a new handset. They are criminals too.

I am not saying that there aren't any issues with travellers and if police forces followed ACPO guidelines and treated them equally then they too would have to pay taxes including council tax on their mobile homes, make sure their children went to school and all the other things that the police and other authorities enforce on the rest of us.

The simple fact is that crime could easily be drastically reduced if the government wanted to do so. Forget Ken Clark and his 'prison doesn't work' policy. That is bullpoo. I know from experience, from actually dealing with them, that the ONLY two things that career criminals fear are police dogs and prison. I also know that when they are locked up inside they can't commit crime and when a burgler or car thief has had a good chewing they tend not to commit crime for a while. All this social engineering in the Criminal Justice System is totally useless.

Couldn't agree more!

When your house gets burgled, you replace everything and the insurance pay. But who pays the insurance...we do, out of our after-tax wages, and then we pay insurance tax for the priviledge!

Car crash? write off your car, the car dealers move another unit and keeps them busy, the breakers yard gets stock for the rest of us to buy back, all once again with our own after tax pennies :angry:

Compensation claim comes next, again more jobs created and yet more tax for the Gov.

And what if the theiving scum got locked up, not only would they not be out 'working' in the only growth industry we have but we would all be paying to feed and look after them whilst on holiday behind bars! :no:

The whole system stinks, but don't think that our great leaders are clueless or somehow out of touch and a bit wet behind the ears, its just the opposite :angry:

In America when I lived there the penalty for a first Burglary offence was seven years and seven means seven. Get caught again and you got fourteen.

America has a staggeringly low crime rate and we wonder why over here. Don't go getting fooled by what people say about America being crime ridden. People are law abiding and crime is low. Break the rules, even for a traffic violation and you go to jail.

I admire their approach. We could really learn something from the way they go about things. Their police may be maniacs but everybody knows the score. You don't mess with them its Yes SIR, no SIR, and I am keeping my hands on the steering wheel SIR. Get arrested and you get locked in a cage with winos and nutcases until a lawyer gets you out in the morning. If you get out with your rectal virginity intact its a bonus. If they start fighting among themselves in the cage they turn the hose on you and everybody gets it, good and bad alike.

The American sysem works and works well as long as you are not in the receiving end.You just make damn sure you are not.

Edited by Vince Green

The Muslims, brutal as it may be, seem to have low re-offending rates and lots of spare body parts for transplants.

its a case of two recorded thefts and there's nothing left to scratch your ariss. Maybe punishment somewhere between what we have now and what the muslim law would determine, and theives would decide its not worth it ? The permanence of punishment as well as the scale of it is important.

Be very very very carefull what you wish for ! You might just get it.and you wouldnt like it one little bit. :no: :no: :no:

Also, be very careful what you wish for regarding the penal system in the USA.

The prison population in the States is around 2.4 million. This amounts to approximately 1% of the resident population. The United States has the highest documented incarceration rate in the world. As of year-end 2009 the rate was 743 adults incarcerated in prisons and jails per 100,000 population. This has clearly increased. In England it is around 154 persons per 100,000.

In the USA the prison industry is BIG business and many prisons are privately owned and controlled. Many prisons are currently being built by private companies because they perceive that it is a growth industry.

There is something rotten about a system that relies on locking up this percentage of its citizens to enforce social stability/control.

The prison population in the States is around 2.4 million. This amounts to approximately 1% of the resident population. The United States has the highest documented incarceration rate in the world. As of year-end 2009 the rate was 743 adults incarcerated in prisons and jails per 100,000 population. This has clearly increased. In England it is around 154 persons per 100,000.

In the USA the prison industry is BIG business and many prisons are privately owned and controlled. Many prisons are currently being built by private companies because they perceive that it is a growth industry.

There is something rotten about a system that relies on locking up this percentage of its citizens to enforce social stability/control.

i do like you user name!!

if i was faster thinking i would be "pog mo thoin" :lol:

Bring back lashing for public disorder and minor crimes IMO. You go out nicking , get a £60 fine, then nick some more to pay your fine or

You get caught, get 20 lashes, are too scared to do it again cos it hurts so ******* much :good:

some people pay for that kind of friday night!!

Whilst I agree that prison os big business in the States and that the manufacturing carried out in prison in the States is little different to the slave labour of Stalin (other than the 'slaves' are convicted by the legal system) I cannot agree with your final statement.

Social stability is the desire of most right thinking people and if locking up those who cannot behave in a manner acceptable to the public is the only feasible option then lock them up! As I have said before; prison is feared by criminals. It is feared because it removes them from their friends and family. Not because of the social stigma or prison routine, but because a term of imprisonment disrupts their life. There is too much politico-social engineering going off in the Criminal Justice System that is being exploited by criminals and by the private companies who are being paid a lot of money for little positive results.

Prison works! Let's use it more.