Only those of a certain age ..................

Jega

I used to work saturdays in a record shop in Manchester. The top 30 singles were stood in numbered racks behind the counter, people would come in and ask for them or just point to the best looking picture cover!

At the close of business we would write down how many of each were sold, onto that big sheet you would see on the wall, then it was posted to wherever, and the same happened at selected shops all over the country. The total sales were tallied up manually and then the new charts were announced on the Thursday (I think it was Thu!): The stores then rearranged the vinyl into the correct pigeon hole ready for the next weekends' sales, simples :good:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My first car (a 72 Beetle) never had a stereo. I used to have a sony ghetto blaster (that ran off batterys that cost a chuffing bomb) permanently on the back seat. The amount of times that thing ended up crashing to the floor when I had to stamp on the anchors through not paying attention was unreal. The tape hatches were held together by a big Oasis sticker. When I went delivering ducks round the country my ancient merc van never had a stereo so it got transferred to that. As the antenna had come off during one of its smashes in the bug I had a bit of leccy fence wire round the sun visors that got twisted onto the remaining stub before every journey. If I took a right to quick it shot off down the dash and nigh on smashed through the glass. Happy days.

Edited by ack-ack

I was lucky, I got a Spectrum+ for Crimbo so no disappearing rubber keys for me - Jet set willy and the original football manager were my favourites.

I remember they played the full 12" version of two tribes by Frankie on the top 40 once uninterrupted - I got it all until my mother came into the room asking me what I wanted for tea - it totally blew my (little) street cred when played back at a house party the next week when 20 odd kids could hear the enthralling conversation about which sandwiches I was having (tape machine next to speaker as we couldn't afford an integrated one at the time.

Happy days

Who remembers trying to tape the top 40 on a Sunday night perfecting the deft finger movement needed to avoid recording DLT or Jimmy Saville waffling :lol:

And 8 track stereos in cars! Jeez at what stage did I become a museum piece :/

Pick of the Pops wasn't it with Alan Freeman on the Light programme, we had an old Phillips reel to reel tape recorder I used to put the microphone in front of the radiogram speaker, only the one as everything was mono in those days.

This is getting well into the past - Just had word with wife - we used to record on our reel to reel Akai - Alexi Corner or something like that - couldn't miss it as it was so good. - 1978 - good old day of 15% mortgage.

I was in the pools syndicate at work and we came up - £30 each and I went out and bought a Phillips Cassette player for my Zodiac - cost me £39 and I took home £19 a week - must have been 78 or 79 - no Super 8 for me - tape my records - anyone remember "Manual and Music of mountains" - this is killing :huh:

Dave

This is getting well into the past - Just had word with wife - we used to record on our reel to reel Akai - Alexi Corner or something like that - couldn't miss it as it was so good. - 1978 - good old day of 15% mortgage.

I was in the pools syndicate at work and we came up - £30 each and I went out and bought a Phillips Cassette player for my Zodiac - cost me £39 and I took home £19 a week - must have been 78 or 79 - no Super 8 for me - tape my records - anyone remember "Manual and Music of mountains" - this is killing :huh:

Dave

Akai - that was quality. Can see the LP sleeve for Manuel now.

Oh, hell, where's the grass, put me out!

Who remembers trying to tape the top 40 on a Sunday night perfecting the deft finger movement needed to avoid recording DLT or Jimmy Saville waffling :lol:

And 8 track stereos in cars! Jeez at what stage did I become a museum piece :/

Never did master the art of the pause button :lol:

£25 in c1971 for the 1st (very basic) Sinclair calculator.

Got one of those somewhere :hmm:

When i saved enough after starting work,i bought a vhs player :D the corded remote was about a foot short of reaching the sofa :angry:

Wymb

I can only remember Manuel because I was listening to Desmond Carrington on radio 2 last night and he played a track - forgot all those records I used to buy as a youngster -- Really wish I still had my old HiFi - it sounded much better than the Onkio 606 I have today. - Or is it in the mind :unsure: :unsure:

Never had betamax - I saw the light and knew it was a dead duck VHS for me.

dave

Those bloody spectrums ,I spent days programming on that blister keyboard only to be rewarded with ,Error line 2010 etc etc etc etc ,And then in the next issue of the computer mag they used to print a page of mistakes they had made in the printing , Christ it only needed to be a wrong commer or dot and you were stuffed , All that just to try and play Pong.

Wymb

I can only remember Manuel because I was listening to Desmond Carrington on radio 2 last night and he played a track - forgot all those records I used to buy as a youngster -- Really wish I still had my old HiFi - it sounded much better than the Onkio 606 I have today. - Or is it in the mind :unsure: :unsure:

Never had betamax - I saw the light and knew it was a dead duck VHS for me.

dave

Well, at least you went VHS. Me? 2000! :oops::cry1::lol:

No one has mentioned digital watchs I had a 5 function LCD ingersol watch in the early 80s and was the mac daddy of the day :good:

I had one of those with the red numbers only problem was you needed two hands to work the if it was strapped to your right wrist you had to press the button to light it up with your left hand what a stupid idea.