Most hit with one shot

I'm intruiged, the other bird obviously wasn't a pigeon. What was it?

It was a Kestrel :(

I really can't desribe the feeling that came over me when it landed by my feet. For a good couple of weeks I actually thought about giving up shooting. After I'd thought about it for a while I decided it was a one in a million shot. I doubt anything like that will ever happen again, well I certianly hope not. Being smaller I recon it was just behind the Pigeon and completely hidden. I had no idea it was there.

Ive had several pairs whilst pigeon decoying, a pair of mallard leaving the fed pond and a crossing pair of driven pheasants. Non of the shots was intended to shoot more than one target at a time it was just a fluke that they turned out like that, but the most unusual was six rabbits to one shot. It was a summers evening and I was out armed with the shotgun to thin the rabbits along a hedgerow. I crept along the hedge and looked around the corner to see that were three sitting out. I roughly lined them up and fired. When I picked them up the dog kept bring me another one. I think that there were two sitting out that I hadnt seen. One had his head sticking out of the hole another was in a divot that had longer grass growing around it and I think that the sixth one must have come out of the hedge at the moment of firing. Rabbit thinning achieved. Dog food collected and a weighty load to carry back to the buildings.

Edited by fortune

I have had 2 pigeons several times with one shot and when I was a kid three sitting in a line along a branch. My older brother was in charge of my cartridge supply and would give me 2 shells for every bird I produced for the kitchen. So 3 pigeons for one shot would earn me 6 shells.

I have had two pinks with one shot several times and once two canadas. As for duck I have had two mallard , or teal or wigeon , or pintail more times than I can remember ( its happens several times most seasons ) and on about 10 occasions 3 wigeon or teal with a single shot. A couple of times with wigeon and teal three with one shot and two with the second barrel. Biggest shot was 17 starlings with one Eley Impax no 6. They were causing problems nesting in holiday chalet roofs.

Once I shot a running rabbit and when picking it up found a dead pheasant. It had been sitting behind it in a clump of grass. O and shot two partridges with one shot a few times.

It was a Kestrel :(

I really can't desribe the feeling that came over me when it landed by my feet. For a good couple of weeks I actually thought about giving up shooting. After I'd thought about it for a while I decided it was a one in a million shot. I doubt anything like that will ever happen again, well I certianly hope not. Being smaller I recon it was just behind the Pigeon and completely hidden. I had no idea it was there.

Shame,

Thanks for the reply though. Like you said one in a million and totally forgivable.

The way you felt about the shot shows you're a responsible hunter :good:

Norman Mursel in his book, 'Come Dawn come Dusk' retells a tale of shooting at pigeons in the winter of 63 and, if my memory serves, he accounted for 38 pigeons with a single shot.

I think I've only ever shot two birds with one shot and its usually been at skeet.

Two rabbits with one shot and two Pheasant with one shot, never more than 2 with one shot.

On a slightly different tack these two went down with 2 simultaneous counted in shots with my shooting partner on the day, we have done this on numerous occasions on rabbits, but this was the first time we tried it on deer! :good:

post-20848-0-82936400-1321181450.jpg

had two simultanious rabbits from two shots with me and a friend "ill take the left you take the right" , but ive never managed more than one from one shot, however the same friend got two ferals with one .177 when we were in a cattle shed the first was a clean kill but the second was wounded but was quickly dispatched.

My pb is 3 widgeon with 1st barrel and a mallard with second. Best Ive witnessed was flighting woodcock when a friend shot two woodcock with 1st shot and a third came about 20ft behind and he got it with the second barrel. It was some l&r. He went on to miss the next 2 single birds that came.

My best is 3 pigeons with 1 shot and i have also bagged 2 Teal with 1 shot too. Going back to the kestrel incident this nearly happened to me last year on 2 occasions, a Kestrel kept on following in pigeons as they came into the pattern luckily both times i spotted him before i pulled the trigger but it could easily have been different!

OK, this is a bit weird but I once shot a clay pigeon and a real pigeon at the same time. It was at Southern Counties shooting ground on the foggiest day of the year in 2009 between Xmas and new year.

It was a L-R high crosser and the bird was completely invisible. I hit the clay too. Was having a go on a mate's gun too, a Beretta semi auto.

It was an odd experience to say the least.

I've shot 2 rabbit's with one shot using the shotgun and shot a few 2 pigeons and crow's with 1 shot also :D :D :D

Still waiting to get 2 foxes with 1 shot :lol: :lol: :lol: (Think i'll be waiting for a long time though)

All of these scenarios feel very surprising as you dont expect it to happen, as you only expect to get the one you aimed for ;) ;) ;)

Edited by Simon123

I hit one pigeon with one shot few years back.Not odd in itself,but the cartridge was faulty and suffered from something called 'shotballing' which is when the shot fuses together from the propellant to one big lump of lead-ie a slug.The pigeon was almost blown to pieces,but i should have missed it!

Edited by Imperfection