Krieghoff help required

Salopian

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way overpriced and none too reliable. Don't do it. There are better guns out there.

If you went to the factory and saw how they were put together, plus the first rate back up service from Alan Rhone, you can soon see where the money goes.

Reliability wise, I've shot mine for over 10 years now and have absolutely no complaints/issues, nor do any of my friends who shoot them. I heard of a problem with a set of barrels recently that was rectified within a week- other than that, no problems with the guns. Best bit of kit for breaking clays out there.

Have had a "borrow" of three or four K80s now (including the high rib version which was an experience to say the least) and there is no denying they are a solid bit of kit. Whether they justify the price i suppose is down to the individual, what i would say though is, to me they were a very different animal to shoot than what i was used to (Browning) very mechanical and felt heavy to throw around but once the barrels get moving they kept swinging. If i was to become very rich and was able to justify buying one I should think a good thousand or so shells would be needed to "adapt" and know whether I could get used to one before pronouncing true judgement.

Know several guys that have bought and not taken to the gun and sold on but I'm not sure whether they really persevered enough.

Have had a "borrow" of three or four K80s now (including the high rib version which was an experience to say the least) and there is no denying they are a solid bit of kit. Whether they justify the price i suppose is down to the individual, what i would say though is, to me they were a very different animal to shoot than what i was used to (Browning) very mechanical and felt heavy to throw around but once the barrels get moving they kept swinging. If i was to become very rich and was able to justify buying one I should think a good thousand or so shells would be needed to "adapt" and know whether I could get used to one before pronouncing true judgement.

Know several guys that have bought and not taken to the gun and sold on but I'm not sure whether they really persevered enough.

I was one of those guys,went back to a berretta :no: :no:

Lots of people move to them from beretta/brownings and expect to be able to shoot them the same way as their old guns- you can't. You need to make some pretty specific changes to your technique on certain targets, and if you try and push them round like your berettas/brownings you will never get the best out of them. Learn to use them right though and they are the most stable and consistent guns that make building big scores as easy as possible.

Lots of people move to them from beretta/brownings and expect to be able to shoot them the same way as their old guns- you can't. You need to make some pretty specific changes to your technique on certain targets, and if you try and push them round like your berettas/brownings you will never get the best out of them. Learn to use them right though and they are the most stable and consistent guns that make building big scores as easy as possible.

What sort of changes? After someone used my 525 the other day I was told it was too lively for them perhaps they are more suited kreigoff ?

Hand checking and fitting has to be paid for somewhere Gordon. Of course they could do everything on machines but then it wouldn't be a krieghoff and would just be another beretta/browning/mirook. Equally have an issue with one of the big 3 and good luck getting them to sort it inside a year. Perazzi your looking at 18 months and it will come back wrong! I only speak as I find and from my experience, and that of the people I have shot with and coached, the reliability and build quality is untouchable.

HDAV, you need to cut out a lot of unnecessary gun movement, and generally shoot with a much slower gun speed. Pushing out your hold points and learning to shoot more maintained lead and pull away for is a good starting point, but again it's a broad question and you need to make different tweaks for different people to get the most out of them.

Edited by EdSolomons

HDAV, you need to cut out a lot of gunn movement, and generally shoot with a much slower gun speed. Pushing out your hold points and learning to shoot more maintained lead and pull away for is a good starting point, but again it's a broad question and you need to make different tweaks for different people to get the most out of them.

interesting I was advised to raise my hold point for DTL and it helped I am also subconsciously shooting over the top of the straighter birds and was wondering if a slower gun would suit me better, not that I have £8k to spend on a gun.....

Hand checking and fitting has to be paid for somewhere Gordon. Of course they could do everything on machines but then it wouldn't be a krieghoff and would just be another beretta/browning/mirook. Equally have an issue with one of the big 3 and good luck getting them to sort it inside a year. Perazzi your looking at 18 months and it will come back wrong! I only speak as I find and from my experience, and that of the people I have shot with and coached, the reliability and build quality is untouchable.

HDAV, you need to cut out a lot of unnecessary gun movement, and generally shoot with a much slower gun speed. Pushing out your hold points and learning to shoot more maintained lead and pull away for is a good starting point, but again it's a broad question and you need to make different tweaks for different people to get the most out of them.

Is the fitting option included in the price of a new K80 then ed?

I like the K80 but i went down the route of a Perazzi for the custom stock at the factory for little more than the "off the peg price" of an MX2000s this clinched it for me as im left handed and wanted a gun fitted to me. If Krieghoff did something similar it may have been a different story.

Ed - at the clubs I shoot, Krieghoffs do not enjoy a reputation for reliability.

As for them being better than Browning / Beretta / Miroku - I think you are 'avin' a larf. They are good, but still overpriced. If they are more reliable than these, I will plait sawdust.

I am surprised about your comments about Perazzi - in the North West - as a generality, which I normally hate - they are better regarded than Krieghoff.

I can easily afford a Krieghoff, but can't bring myself to part with that kind of money for so little.

Edited by Gordon R

The K80 is not generally regarded as having reliability issues.

Yep, got to agree with Hammy on that one, I would be simply amazed if, at the price you were paying, they weren't super reliable, after all, the inner guts of a shotgun is very low grade technical stuff, with most expensive guns all you're really paying for is fancy wood and engraving, which will not gain you one extra clay over the entire life of the gun. :hmm:

I can't knock them because I've never tried one, apart from borrowing them from others at pool shoots and other knock arounds, they certainly handle way differently to a Beretta, and if I was to shoot one well I know it would take me an awful long time to get used to it.

In my opinion, they are a gun for an already very experienced shot, "B" & "C" class shooters who think that they will jump to "AAA" by re-mortgaging their house and trading up from their Berettas or Mirokus to a Krieghoff will be disappointed.

Don't forget, Digweed started his domination of the clay shooting world using a Parker Hale, a name that would mean nothing to most users of this forum, but it suited him and his shooting style at the time, take a look at the sort of scores that Guys like young Ed and Martin Myers bang in week after week, a Krieghoff clearly suits both of their current styles, would they shoot any better using a Perazzi, we'll probably never know the answer to that one..?

Cat.

Is the fitting option included in the price of a new K80 then ed?

Sorry, i realise how that read and I should have re worded it. The fitting of the stock is not part of the price- you can do what I did and go over to the factory with a load of measurements or a old stock and have them copied (I picked out a blank and Ralph the stock man made it by hand over the two days I was there- amazing!). What I meant was that all the parts are put together and finished by hand. Every barrel is checked by hand, even the tubes themselves are soldered into place by hand. A fantastic thing to see how much effort goes into each gun.

On the perazzi front Gordon again this is only my experience, but there are two people I coach who shot them- one had a fault with a barrell which after much arguing got replaced after the best part of a year, and the other sent measurements to be copied into a stock, waited 10 months and recieved the stock, completely wrong. He send it back, Waite another 4 months and it was wrong again! Loa of rubbish in my book but again it's horses for courses.

Id be interested to hear where all these broken Krieghoffs live!