Horse Name Needed

Paul T

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard a guy on radio other day saying he's always wanted a race horse caller hoof hearted, just so the comentator would have to say,

'hoof'earted is coming up the out side, and its hoof'erted taking the lead, as they reach the final furlng its hoof'earted.....'

However on a serious not old horse men used to always use a name with two syllables 'major' 'samson' etc, do how about Tommo?

Esteemed Members of PW,

I'm not normally stuck for names for any of our stock, but we've just bought a new horse and both Mrs T and I are completely flummoxed for a suitable name.

He's a 3 year old T/B gelding, dark bay colour. He has raced, but due to a either a syndicate split or the business folding (can't remember which) he came up for sale and I bought him. He's not going to be raced, but will be used for eventing and hunting.

Name needs to be something short without an 'o' sound in it (we use stop, trot and halt as commands which could sound similar) and be fairly soft sounding.

Help appreciated gents (and ladies)

As he is only a three year Old if he has raced he might have broken down badly in the past...its unusual to retire racehorses so early otherwise, ...Be careful and make sure hes sound before you part with any spondulicks...

Word of advice which Im sure you know...If he is sound and you should want to race him under rules in the future you will have to declare his original name to Weatherbys or you or your trainer could get into deep deep ****

Edited by Fisherman Mike

As he is only a three year Old if he has raced he might have broken down badly in the past...its unusual to retire racehorses so early otherwise, ...Be careful and make sure hes sound before you part with any spondulicks...

Word of advice which Im sure you know...If he is sound and you should want to race him under rules in the future you will have to declare his original name to Weatherbys or you or your trainer could get into deep deep ****

Thanks for the advice.

He's sound apart from the odd scratch and scrape and bought from a reputable source - not the local nag auction. Some syndicates just can't pay the ongoing training bills so if a horse is obviously not going to be fast enough they just cut their losses and the horses get moved on. The nutty (or injured) ones get the bullet and the lucky ones might get a second chance via re-schooling.

He's still a bit fizzy, but he'll calm down when he's not oated up to the nines. He was a bit twitchy with me on board, but he didn't feel like he was going to bronco like a loon. Definitely not going to be raced, but he will be out eventing and hunting when we've finished schooling him. The wife's had horses for 40 years and had 16 at one point, so whilst my experience is limited, hers is very extensive.

Still not arrived due to bad weather though.

Names: we're liking Farrah, Caeser & Paddy.