Unpleasant experience whilst rabbiting

Blunderbuss

I was out for an hour's wander with the HMR last night, and only saw one rabbit which I shot cleanly. I mainly shoot rabbits in the summer, and so am in the habit of gutting them as soon as I shoot them. This turned out to be a heavily pregnant doe, full of large, well developed and animated foetuses. She can't have been far off giving birth, which the first week in February surprised me a little. I have shot pregnant does before but never so far advanced. I'll be honest, it freaked me out a little. I dispatched the young PDQ. The fact I'm typing this 24 hours later tells me it's still weighing on my mind a little. I know it's bound to happen if you shoot enough rabbits, and I'm sure there'll be cries of "man up", but it was pretty unpleasant.

I'm fortunate on this permission that it isn't swarming and I'm under no pressure to eradicate huge numbers, just keep them in check. I think I'll keep to the half or three quarter grown ones in future though, to avoid this. I still skinned and filleted it for the freezer though.

Yeh, fair dos, it was interesting the first few times but you have to deal with it.

It doesn't matter if you are an undertaker, brain surgeon, fireman, policeman, whatever, you are still human, but you have to find a way to turn off.

I'm a Pest Controller, I solved 6-8 problems with one shot, that pleases me and the landowner! :yes:

ATB! :good:

All six of mine last night were pregnant...there's nothing you can do. I know it's horrible but they do die relativley quick due to suffocation. I've shot so many of them pregnant (at all times of year) I don't really let it bother me no more.

Don't worry mate you wern't to know,although it is inevitable nowadays.

Been there myself. Certainly played on my mind for a while, although personally I found it harder to get the thought of starving kittens out of my head when I shot a few very milky does.

Things like this remind you you're human, I firmly believe a healthy response.

I'm a Pest Controller, I solved 6-8 problems with one shot, that pleases me and the landowner! :yes:

ATB! :good:

Have to agree, I go out there to reduce rabbit numbers. Pregnant does are a nice efficient way of doing so. Not sure how its any better or worse than shooting mum?????

Slightly weird views in this thread IMO!

Have to agree, I go out there to reduce rabbit numbers. Pregnant does are a nice efficient way of doing so. Not sure how its any better or worse than shooting mum?????

Slightly weird views in this thread IMO!

First sentence fair comment :) Second sentence a bit uncalled for IMO!

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, I'm not saying not saying it's wrong, I'm not saying it won't happen again. Just chatting about how I felt about it, if that's OK with you? If that makes me weird in your eyes, so be it <_<

There's nothing wrong or "weird" about feeling "thoughtful" about the first doe in young or milky does that you shoot nor does it make you look like any sort of a "softie", after all we are all "surposed" to be human and have some feelings! However these things do and will happen as rabbits are breeding all the year round, so sooner or later it is inevitable. All you can do is accept that this is an inevitable and unavoidable part of rabbit control, remembering that for every one milky or pregnant doe you shoot there are thousands that you will not get a shot at!

Edited by Frenchieboy

As above mate not nice but bound to happen one day. Anybody who says it doesn't effect them (especially the first time) is a liar or not human.

sorry mate not wanting to start an argument but i am not a liar i am human but it does not effect me what so ever as Dekers said it's 6-8 with one shot

colin