PW Shoot 2012 - Which Charity?

Teal

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We could always go with Orchid again? They certainly seemed very grateful for the money (rather than it disappearing to a large charity where it makes little difference)

Orchid seemed a very grateful charity. It would seem better to donate to a research, at least they can look for the long term, and generally they deliver the goodies too.

My Dad died 2 years ago and suffered from the living death that is Alzheimers.

i lost my dad 15 months ago to a mix of dementia and cancer , as long as the money dont go to any charity that has the jacobs to spend hundreds of thousands of peoples hard earned on big tele adverts and posh offices .

Hi All,

Here's a few lines reagrding a Charity my Wife's involved with :good:

SEED is a committed team of volunteers who are passionate about providing support services for people suffering from an eating disorder and carer’s, immediately family, or in fact anyone who is part of the sufferers life!

We became a Charity and operate and abide by a Constitution adopted in 2004.

An eating disorder has the highest mortality rate of any other mental health illness and it has NO barriers when it comes to age or gender!

Please check out our website is www.seedeatingdisorders.org.uk.

Azzurri

I would like to suggest MacMillan Cancer Support.

They do a marvellous job and depend solely on charity donations but spend very little on advertising.

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/home.aspx?

Vic.

Good cause but currently spending a fortune on tv advertising.

wouldnt like to think our money was buying "airtime"

:shaun:

Alzheimers or Cancer charity's gets my vote. My family has suffered with losses due to both.

I also agree with donating to a smaller charity so the money actually gets used to do some good, not swallowed up by "admin" costs.

Great idea about trying to get someone from the charity to come along, gives a positive back to shooting sports. As this will hopefully be my first PW shoot do the local press get invited? as it would be a shame to miss out on more positive press!

I would like to recomend the NMC - http://www.nmcentre.com/about-us/history/

I have two cousins with Muscular Dystrophy who helped set up and run this centre. The centre provides jobs, work and services for similarly seriously disabled people. This means that Monday to Friday, my cousins go out to work and contribute to society, rather than sitting at home and relying solely on the state benefit system to which they are more than justly entitled. It also gives them purpose, meaning and most of all, independence.

As two lads, who can now only just move their fingers and facial espressions this centre means so much. It has given them the confidence in life to have a life, getting married, living independantly and with minimal state help.

If you have ever commented on those who bleed the state system dry, sitting on their backside rather than finding a more appropriate job because of a 'bad back' or such like then support the NMC - if not today in your vote, but another day as a private donation.

As some of you know this was the charity choice for my stag do a few years ago where we walked 100km's in 24hrs and raised over £8k for the NMC, which made a great difference.

For me, Altzeihmers or Orchid also sound good, although like others have mentioned smaller charities see a bigger difference and obviously lack the pr teams that the big names have.

Edited by Oly

I agree with most on here, personally I'd prefer the cancer one as I've had close family with the disease and 3 died with it. it's truly awful, also another charity that I think is deserving is the st barnabis hospice, who have looked after all 3 cases and was extremely good, although this is a biggish charity.

Still The orchid charity gets my vote

The problem with looking for a smaller Charity could be that we have to decide over requests for local charities offered by out fellow members.

Would we be better not to chose a local/personnal Charity as it may upset or offend our supporters.

Orchid or Alzheimers seem to be the favoured charities so far and both are worthy of our support.

To digress just a little, I still believe we should record how much money is raised by shooters throughout the year, this would be positive PR for our sport and we need plenty of it at all times.

I would be happy to log and report on a regular basis on how much has been raised if pw members can tell me, and I still believe that although there is a what's on/ clayshooting section on the Forum, there should be a forum "Charity/Fund raising Shoots" that can be clicked on, that is set in date order so that interested parties can find out very quickly what is going on and where to go.

I am sorry if I am hi jacking this thread, Mods please remove this thread if you think it prudent