PW Shoot 2012 - Which Charity?

Teal

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Gran died of Alzheimers last year and i agree they are a worthwhile charity, however, they were the Tesco corporate Charity of the year last year so got a huge wad of cash (approx £7m) from that. I agree a smaller charity would be best, and preferably one that hasnt had the luck to be a corporately sponsored one - they need the money the most.

AB

I received a suggestion via PM for SADS- Sudden Adult Death Syndrome, here's a bit of information on them for consideration, I have to admit it's not a condition I had heard of.

Preventing premature sudden death

The cardiac charity SADS UK aims to save lives, providing information, funding research and medical equipment to prevent premature sudden cardiac death. Working in the areas of Research, Prevention and Emergency Care lives have been saved as a direct result of the work of SADS UK.

SADS UK highlights the fact that young people and even children can be affected by potentially fatal cardiac conditions. SADS UK was granted international affiliate status to the SADS Foundation, Utah in December 2000 and works with SADS organisations overseas.

There have been some great suggestions so far, it looks like Orchid is a popular choice and certainly would be sure to benefit and is appropriate for the distribution of members on here.

Let's face it, there have been so many worthwhile causes mentioned on this thread, SADS is no doubt yet another one to add to the growing list.

I'd be more than happy to support Orchid again this year, I've had personal experience of living with Prostate Cancer and in my book, any organisation that helps to raise awareness of this disease, (and other forms of male cancer)has to be worth supporting. :good:

Cat.

As one of the few ladies on the site , i think we should have Orchid again, after all it is a bloke thing and most chaps need all the publicity available for this type of cancer as unlike us ladies they don't shout loud enough. :good: from Auntie.

Lynn are you saying you have a big mouth :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lynn are you saying you have a big mouth :lol: :lol: :lol:

Are you saying you don't have BIG FEET :lol: :lol: :lol: - are you going Mike ???

Just to add another option - I was at a charity shoot up in Jockland & it was for kids getting rehabilitated after a stroke - loads of help for Adults but suffering a stroke so young takes a lot out of them (sorry I don't know the charity)

Edited by Tam

Whatcha talkin about Willis?

In common with a lot of people who have already posted, I have had personal family experience of both cancer and Alzheimer's - uncomfortably too much in the case of the latter with it being such a strongly genetic disease! As a consequence I would be happy with either of the front runners.

However, checking up on the charity differentStrokes (>>Obvious linky for Mungler<<<), as mentioned by Tam suggests a charity which would seem to meet many, if not all, of the criteria put forward:

•  
  • Low profile but official charity operating in an undeniably worthwhile niche area helping children and young adults who have suffered a stroke
  • Checking their address on google maps shows an office on a small business park on the outskirts of Milton Keynes - not too far from Orston

My slight concerns with the current favourites are:

•  
  • Backing Orchid for a second year running may start to look like some kind of affiliation - not necessarily a bad thing, but worth thinking about
  • Alzheimer's has a high profile and for reasons already mentioned is already relatively well supported

Just my thoughts, while I've still got them...

I thank you sir for your kind words, however I was mostly simply attempting to ascertain if this was the charity that Tam was referring to in a previous post.

That said, it would certainly seem to be a worthy cause which I would be happy to support being put forward into any final vote.

A charity we raised money for at work last year was canine partners, they train and supply dogs for the disabled , its amazing what these dogs can do , several have gone or are going to our armed forces members who have been terribly wounded in afganistan.

It cost £800 to buy a puppy and £5000 to cover its first years training £10000 for its complete training .

A very worthwhile cause I reckon :yes:

Canine partners

Edited by fenboy

I've changed my mind,I'm with Fenboy and believe we should go with 'Canine Partners'.

It is a very deserving cause and because it is not one of the 'big names' probably struggles to get the recognition and support they need.

Go onto their website and watch the film about what these dogs do for people and then I hope you will support Canine Partners to receive the N v S charity donation.

http://www.caninepartners.co.uk/Index.htm

Vic.

Edited by VicW