Protein and Creatine Sports Supplements

Sticky96

Hey guys,

Just wondering if any of you have used any of the whey protein sport supplement shakes? I have started to go to the gym and many of my mates use them and say they are good. If you guys have had any experience with a particular brand and seen good results please tell me. I am currently looking at MaxiMuscle or MyProtein supplements as they seem the best around

Many Thanks,

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

most of the modern powders are ok but as already said you can get all you need from a good diet the powders come into there own if you are not able to eat well or you are bulking up or trimming down for a comp,

creatine will give you a little extra while training but tbh i think they are a waste of money only one supplement will really make any significant difference and you best stay well away from them

colin

Hey guys,

Just wondering if any of you have used any of the whey protein sport supplement shakes? I have started to go to the gym and many of my mates use them and say they are good. If you guys have had any experience with a particular brand and seen good results please tell me. I am currently looking at MaxiMuscle or MyProtein supplements as they seem the best around

Many Thanks,

my protein is good and always discounts on offer on the website,i got 2kg of impact whey for £30 most other brands are twice the price and do nothing different.

Edited by yickdaz

Another one for My Protein. Although you can glean a lot from a healthy balanced diet, you can still get 'extra' benefit from supps. From the middle of March I've been using MP Hurricane XS. I did a lot of research in to it and most folk seemed in general agreement that MP cut out all that stuff that only really bumps the price up and you get good, clean mix (mainly protein & creatine & slow release carbs). I certainly notice a difference in endurance and strength plus much improved recovery. I managed to get an additional 30 seconds or so off a 5k run I do where I had been struggling to get even a few seconds off prior to taking MP (I log all my times).

I went for the choc nut & raspberry flavours. Raspberry was a bit hard going on its own but I mix them together to make it palatable. You need to get these things in you ideally within 20 minutes of exercising and regular food is ok but doesn't quite cut it where as these things are just carbs, protein and creatine (creapure) essentially and get in to your system quick. If you go with it, then no loading is required just one lot in the morning for/with breakfast and another after your work out in the afternoon/evening.

I also got a cheap little blender from Robert Dyas for a few quid and it saves having to chew on any lumps that the manual shakers don't break up. What ever you decide, good luck and keep us posted.

Doc.

BTW, it's not called 'Hurricane XS' for nothing. You'll be farting your head off and it will stink of milk on the turn :sick:

Edited by Doc Holliday

I have used Maximuscle a lot in the past. Like the variety of flavours.

Creatine lets you train longer and harder. I found that you could just blast through that point where muscle exhaustion normally kicks in. It's that extra training that builds the bulk.

I am trying to build lean muscle, my cardiovascular fitness is to the level I want it. But I am aware that because I am 6ft3" in height, I have not built any of my upper body muscles to acommodate for my height. This in turn makes me look very lanky. As a sport I play both rugby and I row so these both require a level of lean muscle that I do not have as of yet.

Dont over train, 1 hour a day per muscle group is enough.

Rest is as important as training, your body needs to repair the torn muscle fibers :good:

Excellent advice :good:

Again, all you really need is the right diet but supplement it with amino acid tablets, they're the buiding blocks for protein ;)

Maximuscle is overpriced high street rubbish, you need to look at Phd Pharma Whey or USN Whey. Creatine isn't useful till you are doing some serious sessions. Get yourself some good quality multivitamins they will be of much more use. Any advice you want PM me, I used to be into it big time, and was a fair size till I started a job that left all my spare time for revision or shooting only.

As said sessions no longer than 50 odd minutes, use 'splits' (training like muscle groups in compund exercises), 3 or 4 training sessions a week, don't train the same muscle group twice in one week. Also muscle is built in the kitchen not in the gym, eating healthily is the most important thing.

Edited by Brad93

Maximuscle is overpriced high street rubbish, you need to look at Phd Pharma Whey or USN Whey. Creatine isn't useful till you are doing some serious sessions. Any advice you want PM me, I used to be into it big time, and was a fair size till I started a job that left all my spare time for revision or shooting only

Agreed! Lot of good advice already stated, years ago all the whey in Europe came out of two labs..maximuscle and the rest of the same ilk are ok but over priced and glammed up.

For pure whey protein there's nowt wrong with Holland and Barratt. If I'm honest not a single supplement makes up for solid, consistent training.

Have a look at ATP by Nutrisport

To gain muscle mass it used to be a rule of thumb to eat 1g of protein per lb of body weight. Hence if you weigh 210lbs you need to be eating 210grams of protein.

Supplements I used a few years ago, were Amino Acids both prior to training and immeadiately afterwards. 90% dairy protein immedeately after my post workout amino acids, all consumed before leaving the gym. GABA (gamma amino butyric acid) taken imeadiately before bed an hour and a half after eating. Zinc supplement, l-carnatine (fat burner) Creatine never bothered with the repeated loading phase just the first then the maintenance dose.

Now there are three main body types ectomorphs, mesomorphs, and endomorphs.

Ectomorphs generally tend to be quite lean and struggle to gain weight.

Endomorphs are the opposite and generally store body fat quite easily.

Mesomorphs are naturally athletic in appearance who can gain lean muscle mass readily and don't store excessive body fat.

If you feel you are of the ectomorph catagory then ensure your diet includes plenty of complex carbohydrates Wholemeal pasta, Rice etc. Your metabolism will be quite high and sunsequently will burn off calaries quite readily.

Hope that helps.