Anyone ever seen a ghost??

Archie-fox

Seen my long dead cat "appear" a few times. He died over 28 years ago in a previous house I lived in and from where I moved 24 years ago. He followed me here.

Know lots of other people who have seen ghosts including once very sceptical people who are now believers. There are many strange things on this earth and in this universe and scientists cannot and never will be able to explain them all.

This is the basis of faith. Faith in whatever you believe in or don't as the case may be.

As for those people I know who have seen ghosts or had strange experiences, I will give you just one

A policeman (an we all know how sceptical they can be) who had an allotment near me. We were chatting late one summer evening and then he said "well I must get on and say hello to mum and dad." "Oh" I said "do they live in the village? "No they are in the churchyard and why I go is because of this that happened to me. I was in a pub with some colleagues after an operation in an area we did not normally go to and a pub we had never been in before. This was not long after my dad had died. When we went in the barman looked at me a bit strange but we got our drinks and sat in a corner talking quietly. After a while the barman cam over and asked if he could speak to me. I said yes, what about. He said he was a medium and knew I had had a recent loss. Warily I said yes. He said hold out your hand and you will receive something. Rather reluctantly I did. He never touched my hand but I felt a warmness in the palm which spread through me and filled me with joy. Even my colleagues noticed the transformation. The barman said stop grieving, that was your dad, he is here now in no pain and giving you his love."

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a strong believer in ghosts simply because I have seen and experienced them. My nan lives in stradbroke (Suffolk) and has an old guy with a pipe walks up and down her hallway. Also in stradbroke there is the ghost of the jilted bride which sits outside the church on the 18th of July every year. Iv been spoken to and touched a few times in my old house where someone had apparently hung them selves from the loft. I'd love to be able to interact with a ghost.

I live next door to a church yard and I have to say the dead make excellent neighbours. Its the living who cause all the problems in the world.

I can't help thinking that it is unlikely a jilted bride would hang around outside a church moping. Throw her bouquet away and storm off to her mother's more like. If you have a ghost of an angry and tearful young woman in a white dress in your house that's sure to be what it is. :yes:

I can't help thinking that it is unlikely a jilted bride would hang around outside a church moping.

Even more unlikely if she was, in fact, dead.

This "same day every year" story is interesting. It implies either some intelligence on the part of the ghost, or some higher intelligence that allows her to appear on the correct day. Or, of course, it could imply that once the story was invented people simply lied or imagines that they'd seen her on that day.

Now, who's religious ? Surely you can't believe in ghosts without admitting the possibility of God ?

When I was about about 4 (ish?) or at least young enough for there to be a baby gate to stop me getting out. Next to it, parents had put old wooden speakers as a step so they could climb over. I tried to climb over one day but fell face first and should have smashed my face on the step, or the floor. I somehow glided a few feet away on my front and was completely unscathed when I really should have knocked my teeth out or split my head open. I can't explain it and can't say anything like it has happened since.

My Aunt and Uncle were driving home along a local country road when a cattle wagon appeared around the corner and was heading straight for them. My Uncle slammed his brakes on and pretty much awaited for the inevitable crash, but then the wagon disappeared.

Neither of them are the sort to make this stuff up and if they say it happened I have no reason to think otherwise, no matter how hard to believe.

Neither of them said anything of the experience for months to anyone until my Aunt mentioned it to a work colleague that lives in that area.

Oh she said that is such and such, been dead for years and regularly seen on that bit of road.

Swear on my sons life the above is true, make of it what you will.

Lived in the grounds of a Graveyard for 18 years and my whole family regularly saw or heard things that had no reasonable explanation. Not saying Ghosts but just saying don't know what. People there then not, Voices, shadows, footprints behind you no one there to name but a few. As I say not saying these were all Ghosts but can't explain them.....

• 5 months later...

I know this is a fairly old thread but I felt I had to post this.

Nothing has ever happened to me, but this happened to someone I knew from school. When she lived in her old house, she had an imaginary friend, but it looked real, if you know what I mean. For example, she would fall out of her chair as though this imaginary friend had pushed her. She wouldn't eat dinner unless her imaginary friend could have some as well. Things like this happened a lot. I can't remember the name of this imaginary friend.

She moved out of this house but later she found out that a girl of the same name as her imaginary friend had been murdered a few doors down from her old house and was then buried in the cemetery behind her house. This imaginary friend disappeared when she moved house.

I got a bit intrigued in ghost stories after seeing that programme "Great British Ghosts", and I looked around a bit on the internet. Apparently, there's a wood near me where there are gnomes or something which are playing in the wood around midnight. Apparently, they welcome anyone who shows no fear of them (but who wouldn't be **** scared if you saw something like that at midnight in a dark forest, where it's pitch black?). I've never set foot in that wood so I don't know if it's true or not.

There is also an old house in my village which is supposed to be haunted. Don't know which one, only that it has three floors. I read a terrifying story on the internet from someone who used to live in my village.

A bit further away from me, there's the cursed stool of busby stoop. I can't be bothered to post the full thing. Google it if you want.

Then there's supposed to be a haunted oak tree somewhere up the woods where I trap grey squirrels. I know roughly where it is, so I'll probably have passed it loads of times without knowing. Apparently, all oak trees have a natural twist, but they are all supposed to twist the same way. This one supposedly twists the wrong way and had something to do with witches.

I get a bit scared when I read stories like this. I don't know why I make myself read them.

I also remember hearing from someone that there could be a perfectly rational scientific explanation to ghost stories which we just haven't discovered yet. It's possible - there was a time when the earth was believed to be flat, and it was unimaginable that the earth could be round. Now it's accepted as very basic fact. So who knows?

Edited by Reece

I don't dismiss anything... i do think somethings we see are things we wanted to believe... for example, my dear old nan (she was actually my auntie, mums oldest sister) anyway..when she died..i would have sworn i saw her sitting at the end of my bed telling me she was fine...i was 15 at the time

now i am not a person who believes in gods or what ever.... but that is one experience that was very very clear.... as i said..it might have felt real as it would have been something that i wanted to see

House I live in now has some weird stuff going on. Mrs woke me the other night and said there was someone coming up the stairs. Heard every tread on the stairs creak ( with a baby in the house I know the noise of each one! ) and Ill admit my heart beat a tad faster thinking we had a burglar. Went onto the landing and not a damn thing there. Still get lights turned on we definately turned off at night.

Who knows eh? Go back 200 years and they had no knowledge or understanding of electricity but it existed.

Makes you wonder what we currently live in ignorant bliss of but a future generation will unravel.....

Having said that and having read this thread, most of you are clearly crackers or just plain daft :lol:

I do love a "this story happened to a friend of mine and it's absolutely true".... yeah, that just reaks 'authentic'.

And curtains that blow out in front of a closed window in a 300+ year old house? Do we have any surveyors or glaziers that want to have a stab at that one? :lol:

Being a sceptic I posted on this thread back in May saying "the mind is a powerful thing".

Following an ordeal last week when my 15 year old daughter was totally freaked out in our house saying a woman walked into her room, I am left in a state not knowing what to believe or think.

Like a lot of people we've all heard stories but I have never been moved by them if I'm honest. Seeing my daughter in the state she was in, not being able to comfort her as she was uncontrollably distressed was the one of the worst feelings I have ever had as a father.

I've sat there night after night just numb not knowing what to make of what happened......

I know lots of people that have seen ghosts and have family members living in houses that are well known for being haunted.

I have never known anybody to be harmed by one so why worry?

Of course you would be startled or possibly scared but all the people I know that have seen one were perfectly calm about it. Usually they appear when someone is unwell, they more often than not feel comforted as a result.

Never seen one myself but have no reason to disbelieve the ones that have.

When I was 15 I started working in an Italian restaurant which was in a listed building with a flat above. The flat had been empty for many years.

The owner of the restaurant was an old Italian man and he was convinced there was a ghost so much so that he often used to talk to it.

Me being a bit skeptical didn't believe a word of it but over the years you often heard people walking around up stairs even though the door to the flat was boarded up and there was no way inside.

Then one night around 1o'clock I was there on my own decorating the place and I would get a very uneasy feeling, I had a set of steps set up in the kitchen which you would hear wobbling even though there was no one in there and no breeze blowing through.

In the main restaurant all the lights were on the same circuit but every now and then one light (there was about 12) would go out, you'd think it was the bulb but unscrew it put it back in it worked fine, then another one of the lights would go out. This went on for a while till all the lights were on again.

But the thing that really puzzled us was one night the microwave sparked up on its own, no one had been near it and it just started going. So we switched it off at the plug and it still kept going. We unplugged it and it still kept going, but to make it even worse the microwave started counting up! Cant say i'v ever heard of a microwave counting up before.

It was a strange place to work and as i said the owner often talked to the "ghost" and was convinced it was friendly.

STRANGE BUT TRUE!!!!!

And curtains that blow out in front of a closed window in a 300+ year old house? Do we have any surveyors or glaziers that want to have a stab at that one? :lol:

i feel qualified to answer this question for you.

The moving curtains are most likely the result of a ghost, spirit or minor demon expressing their displeasure at the cold temperature the house will be at due to the single glazing and the box sash window that lets the wind through. :lol:

I think it's interesting that a fair number of these 'sightings' happen at night when people are probably very sleepy (or actually alseep). I have to admit that i'm a massive sceptic but have enjoyed reading this thread.

Shall we settle it for once and for all by going and seeing this jilted bride on 18th July next year?? If she turns up we can put a picture on here and then get ourselves sectioned... The fact that she is there every year would make me think that most of the country would be there to witness it...

In my youth me, my brother and cousins would occasionally stay at my grandmothers in the schools holidays and my nan and grandad would take us all down coal house fort on the Thames at tilbury regularly for a bit of crabbing and a picnic. Now this was long before coal house fort was tidied up for open days etc, the whole place was fenced off, but in certain places you could get in which we did numerous times and would play in the tunnels and corridors underneath the fort. On one occasion my brother and I froze on the spot on seeing two cloaked monks floating past us with their heads bowed, hoods up and there hands up in front as if they were praying.....just like to add this was during the day and outside on top of the fort

Edited by craftycarper

In Ypres, Belgium about two years ago me and my family were staying in hotel room and one night apparently

My mum woke up to men's voices discussing something about attacking a ridge or along those lines. She initially thought it was me and my brother on the other side of the room

Talking about military tactics (both in cadets) but as she started to wake up the voices disappeard....

The next one was again an experience my mum had, it was in northern France We were staying in a rented place for 2 weeks and it was an old barn conversion with an old turretted gate way behind and a graveyard followed on. To the point, one night she was woken up by a young girl tugging on her arm. Mum described her to be really dirty with tatty hair and filthy clothes on.

The next day she told us about it and obviously none of

Us believed her, but later on that same week we were out on a walk in the village we were in and stopped by a large ish pond; next to the pond was some slightly over grown grass and with in this grass was a little grave stone to a young girl. After my mum found that she was well and truly freaked out and even my dad started to wonder about whether what my mum experienced was actually real.

My dad has also witnessed and heard things. When his old office alarm went off he would have to go in to turn it off and check the building out, 9 times out of 10 some un earthly hour of the morning. However this particular visit he was almost certain he heard some one say his name and also witnessed a strange misty like figure. I never liked going into that place in the day time....

Anyway thought I'd share these with you all, although they aren't actually my own stories I

Inclined to believe them.

Dave