Who takes their certificate with them and who leaves it at home?

Gizza22196

172 members have voted

1. 1. Do you take your certificate shooting with you?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely no legal requirement to carry it when shooting - so I don't.

Do people also carry their paper driving licence when going to work along with thier forklift license and thier overhead crane licence and any other licenses? You could potentially have an extremely large pocket full of paperwork!

This is why databases are in existence - any officer who states otherwise is simply wrong and needs to do his homework.

The people who say they carry it to "prevent and fuss" - there shouldn't be any as all police should carry a radio/mobile phone and can check your licence within five minutes.

Mine stays in my car for the simple reason I always have my car when I go to buy ammunition so it means I don't forget it. :good:

Regards,

Gixer

My feo told me its up to me if I take it out with me, but it does look better to any officer that stops you if you have it ( or a copy ) than "ow it's at home " it will be a long day if you live far from your shoot ;) lol

I carry a photocopy with me at all times, this is what i did:

Scan and copy your certificate

On the copy, black out house number, street, village and post code

Re-copy the copy (so the writing underneath the blacked ot bits can't be read)

Destroy the first copy and keep the 'blacked out' copy with you

This way it still has all the relevant info for police like name, certificate number, valid from, d.o.b etc.

You can still buy cart's with it

If you lose it and someone finds it they will not know the address at which firearms are kept.

You cant buy cart's around here with a copy.

I have a copy of my cert in my slip that stays in there and its pretty much forgotten about. My original stays at home unless i need to buy some carts.

No why would i unless i need to get ammo. Obviously if you take it shooting with you their is more chance of losing it which could cause more hassle than getting stopped without one. If you get stopped then the police can easily check if you have a FAC.

Mine tends to live at home or in the truck. A pnc check of the vehicle if it is yours identifies you and as a cert holder. Only time I've had police out they didn't ask much at all just said what they had come for and said we know who you are etc.

My feo told me its up to me if I take it out with me, but it does look better to any officer that stops you if you have it ( or a copy ) than "ow it's at home " it will be a long day if you live far from your shoot ;) lol

Why would it be a long day? There is no legal obligation to produce it at a specific time, as said they can check on the system without ever having to see it.

Regards,

Gixer

there is no legal requirement to carry either your FAC or your driving license.

I have never heard of anyone having the firearms seized for ONLY failing to produce their FAC on the spot.

There is ALWAYS some other underlying reason (armed traspass, poaching, loaded weapons in transit, drunk driving, speeding, etc etc)

I dont take mine, its massive!

I have a scan on the phone if they really want one and a driving license if they want a photo ID. can't think of a situation where me having 2 sheets of A4 would be the difference between me going on my way and not going on my way.

Why would it be a long day? There is no legal obligation to produce it at a specific time, as said they can check on the system without ever having to see it.

Regards,

Gixer

Only if you can verify who you are. A pnc check is only good if you have Id with you.

Only if you can verify who you are. A pnc check is only good if you have Id with you.

Simple questions can be used to verify who you are, a pnc check does not require photographic ID as I said - there is no legal obligation to carry your firearms cert or photographic id.

Regards,

Gixer

Edited by gixer1

Simple questions can be used to verify who you are, a pnc check does not require photographic ID as I said - there is no legal obligation to carry your firearms cert or photographic id.

Regards,

Gixer

I just take mine with just incase I bump into jobs worth.

I just take mine with just incase I bump into jobs worth.

Me too, never happened so far but I bet the first time I've not got it I get stopped. My certificates looks like it was found on a bomb victim I could do with another but I've only got to wait till march for my renewal.

You do not have to carry it?

The stopping officer is well within his rights to seize your guns if you are unable to produce it.

All the arguments and complaints in the world will not work as this action by the officer is lawful.

I know you have your details on the PNC. Its simple to memorise a name DOB and address.... do you carry photo id? Your pnc record is not linked to a fingerprint so the new generation of fingerprint readers will not verify your details.

The stopping officer can not see the photo on the NFLS.

This stopcheck will not go to court as no offence has been comitted Unless you try to apply s48 (4) of the '68 act. But you may loose your guns until you take your cert to the police station where they are held, to prove lawful possession

Practically, handing over your photo driving license which fits into your wallet is a simple way of proving your id.

I would like to see a plastic photocard certificate with a paper counterpart in which the guns in your possession are entered as we do now.

It would let you carry the indestructable card in your wallet which bearing your photo would be an absolute. The cert number would allow a check on the NFLS against the weapons held by you. In the short period between aquiring a new firearm and you notifying the licensing force and it being entered on the NFLS you would rely on the hand written counterpart. Simple!!!!

47 Powers of constables to stop and search..

(1)A constable may require any person whom he has reasonable cause to suspect— .

(a)of having a firearm, with or without ammunition, with him in a public place; or .

(b)to be committing or about to commit, elsewhere than in a public place, an offence relevant for the purposes of this section, .

to hand over the firearm or any ammunition for examination by the constable.

(2)It is an offence for a person having a firearm or ammunition with him to fail to hand it over when required to do so by a constable under subsection (1) of this section. .

(3)If a constable has reasonable cause to suspect a person of having a firearm with him in a public place, or to be committing or about to commit, elsewhere than in a public place, an offence relevant for the purposes of this section, the constable may search that person and may detain him for the purpose of doing so. .

(4)If a constable has reasonable cause to suspect that there is a firearm in a vehicle in a public place, or that a vehicle is being or is about to be used in connection with the commission of an offence relevant for the purposes of this section elsewhere than in a public place, he may search the vehicle and for that purpose require the person driving or in control of it to stop it. .

(5)For the purpose of exercising the powers conferred by this section a constable may enter any place. .

(6)The offences relevant for the purpose of this section are those under sections 18(1) and (2) and 20 of this Act. .

48 Production of certificates..

(1)A constable may demand, from any person whom he believes to be in possession of a firearm or ammunition to which section 1 of this Act applies, or of a shot gun, the production of his firearm certificate or, as the case may be, his shot gun certificate. .

[F138(1A)Where a person upon whom a demand has been made by a constable under subsection (1) above and whom the constable believes to be in possession of a firearm fails— .

(a)to produce a firearm certificate or, as the case may be, a shot gun certificate; .

(b)to show that he is a person who, by reason of his place of residence or any other circumstances, is not entitled to be issued with a document identifying that firearm under any of the provisions which in the other member States correspond to the provisions of this Act for the issue of European firearms passes; or .

©to show that he is in possession of the firearm exclusively in connection with the carrying on of activities in respect of which, he or the person on whose behalf he has possession of the firearm, is recognised, for the purposes of the law of another member State relating to firearms, as a collector of firearms or a body concerned in the cultural or historical aspects of weapons, .

the constable may demand from that person the production of a document which has been issued to that person in another member State under any such corresponding provisions, identifies that firearm as a firearm to which it relates and is for the time being valid.]

(2)If a person upon whom a demand is made under this section fails to produce the certificate [F139or document] or to permit the constable to read it, or to show that he is entitled by virtue of this Act to have the firearm, ammunition or shot gun in his possession without holding a certificate, the constable may seize and detain the firearm, ammunition or shot gun and may require the person to declare to him immediately his name and address. .

(3)If under this section a person is required to declare to a consta ble his name and address, it is an offence for him to refuse to declare it or to fail to give his true name and address. .

[F140(4)It is an offence for a person who is in possession of a firearm to fail to comply with a demand under subsection (1A) above.]