Compak Sporting in the UK

phil moss

After a fantastic result for George & Cheryl & team GB at the World Compak championships in Cyprus, would more shooters in the UK be interested in shooting this discipline ??. What grounds already host this discipline & who wants to shoot it ??.

I know that "Cat" favours this discipline, so i'm asking is there a future in the UK for more interest & competitions !!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the idea of it being over with quickly in the winter, fitasc takes too long. I shot the World Compac in Bordeux some years ago great event. The International could even hold selection shoots throughout the winter months so as not to crowd the calender. I did go to the B.I.C.T.S.F some years ago to kick start it off and stage selection shoots, but what killed it for me is they insisted that only offical International Board refs could be allowed racking up the costs and i would have to sit on the board and form a committee, not for me guys .

But it has my support .

Dennis

Most grounds I know only shoot registered sportrap instead and I have shot 2 this year, the British open and North Of England C.T.C, but I would definitely give Compak a go.

I don’t know the finer points regarding the differences as I have never shot Compak only sportrap, but if the difference was just a higher entry fee for basically the same thing then I would be giving it a miss on a regular basis.

I love shooting compak, Both myself and Mr Potter shot this in France in 2009, (I shot very very very very very very badly, think stevie wonder with welding goggles on and were nearly there) it was a great shoot, ran like clockwork, Its like sportrap but better! :) CPSA need to get their finger out and bring the discipline over here!! :) :)

Hi Craig, from my little knowledge of the discipline, there is a differance in target distances & target presantations, thats about it.

There is no rules to say that you have to shoot one single, then a report pair & then a following pair, you can include 3 singles & a pair or 2 pairs & a single from the differant stations.

This is one of the main differances between sportrap & compak

Just had a look at the rules I like the “The first target of each double has to be the last target shot at from the previous

Stand” as I have ADD and the fact you can set it up to alter the target order re the numbers of singles doubles report or simo.

One question though as I could not see it in the rules is it gun down only?

Pinewood at Blyton has a few Compak layouts, ranging from easy (Yeah, right! :hmm: ) to downright fiendish! Love it! Sim pairs, random pairs, mixed bags, as well as the 'proper' compak fomat, great fun - also easier if like me, you can't walk too well or too far. Park Lodge near Goole also has a layout, just the one though.

Emillio decided that when Compac came out, being a Spainard he resented the French managing the discipline and having to pay homage and taxes to them, we also had a long running dispute over the name od sporting being included in the World English Sporting Championship title, Fitasc thought they owned the name 'sporting' so they come out with Sportrap. That is how its been ever since. I did take it to an agm for them to take on board compac and drop sportrap as there was a slim chance of it being included as an Olympic Discipline.

Dennis

I shot the Compak Sporting WC in Cyprus as well. An absolute pleasure watching George, Jamie and Cheryl shooting and a fantastic result in particular for George and Cheryl.

I only shoot Compak and love it. However I live in Denmark where I can't shoot FITASC or sporting. Compak Sporting is popular because of the fact that a Compak layout doesn't take up much land.

From what I understand Compak is similar to Sportrap but Compak can be more close range than Sportrap.

The rules were recently changed allowing a hosting organization to choose whether to do the traditional max 6 person squad or to use the new method which will allow far more shooters in the same time a 6 person squad would use. Hasn't been used yet but it will be interesting to see whether it will give more entries.

A change could be good... If shooters were doing some marking and reffing would you think they'd do a better job than some of the reff's that currently do it, take more notice of what's going on, less likely to be badgered and intimidated etc ? If the answer is yes this can only be better for our sport.

A change could be good... If shooters were doing some marking and reffing would you think they'd do a better job than some of the reff's that currently do it, take more notice of what's going on, less likely to be badgered and intimidated etc ? If the answer is yes this can only be better for our sport.

When Son of Potter and I shot the 2009 world Compak C/ship in France, from the six man squads two had to stop back & mark the following squad, this was as well as the two FITASC refs and a button pusher. The task was a bit daunting at first as it is a six man squad with five shooting. (6th man waits behind stand 1) but it was all part of the competition, you couldn't refuse it and tbh it was quite enjoyable.

I would be surprised if it was enforced for anything other than Worlds or Europeans though and it's got to be more than 10 years since I have experienced it at a FITASC Sporting shoot.

Mr Potter

Compak Sporting is great fun, it's just a pity that the CPSA doesn't recognise it and continues to pedal the home grown version known as Sportrap.

Most of the stubborn troublemakers on the CPSA Board have now departed the scene, so let's hope that they now see sense and take Compak Sporting on Board, with selection shoots leading to a GB Team going to the major events.

You do really need to concentrate hard when shooting it, you've got to have a proper game plan, particularly on the simmo pairs, as you have to work out which one to shoot first, as it's not always obvious.

They hold regular events in Northern France from March through to August, I'm surprised more UK shooters don't make the effort to go across and shoot it, it's a great weekend..!!

Cat.