Chest Freezer in garage

Laird Lugton

ive got two freezers as well as a fridge and only issue i ever had was falling once or twice when stumbling out drunk to get the vodka out of the freezer... but i soon saw sence and got a bigger glass :) and then really saw sence and went teetotal :(

Edited by kiffy

If one shops at John Lewis then of course one has a heated garage. Must keep the Ferrari and Rolls warm. Probably heated by the burning of £20 notes. :innocent:

I think the majority of people keep their freezer in the garage so can't see what is special about one from JL.

The issue is the appliance has to work harder in a cold garage (i know the direct oposite of what you might think) life of the appliance will hence be shortened, warranties will be void but most important to the user is the cost to run. Freezers are quite power hungry and a big one in an out building in winter even more so. Consider the finantial worth of such a thing as the power used can offset any real savings in food costs in the household and being stored in the freezer for months on end does nothing for the quality of food.

we have always had our freezers in an outbuilding or garage ...but we are to poor to shop at JL :lol:

Nonsense! JL are never knowingly undersold so find it cheaper elsewhere and shop at JL as they'll pricematch. Normally their warranty is much better too.

This may be useful.

http://www.appliance...n-a-garage.aspx

I have a cheapo one on the garage....been fine over the last hard winters.

Thanks for the link, that's what I'm looking for!

If one shops at John Lewis then of course one has a heated garage. Must keep the Ferrari and Rolls warm. Probably heated by the burning of £20 notes. :innocent:

I think the majority of people keep their freezer in the garage so can't see what is special about one from JL.

Look I'm not a banker you know and I don't drive a ferrari, just a 1.2l polo..... ;) Nowt special about JL apart from they normally have a good range and their own brand topped the "Which" reviews.....

The issue is the appliance has to work harder in a cold garage (i know the direct oposite of what you might think) life of the appliance will hence be shortened, warranties will be void but most important to the user is the cost to run. Freezers are quite power hungry and a big one in an out building in winter even more so. Consider the finantial worth of such a thing as the power used can offset any real savings in food costs in the household and being stored in the freezer for months on end does nothing for the quality of food.

Nicely explained Kent! My parents have an old chest freezer which works in the garage but when they went looking for another most now come with a recommendation to not be put in a garage/outbuilding.

So a freezer maintaining -4 in 2 ambient works harder than one in 15-24 ambient?

Figures are degrees C

basicaly yes. it daft realy because if you build them into a kitchen they use more than free standing indoors because then they struggle to cool themselves effectively, go figure but its gospel. I just report the facts not the science, i used to be quite a senior person in a very large group selling kitchens and appliances

Really struggling with this! I would have thought that if a freezer located in room temp would have to work harder as cooling of the refrigerant would be inhibited, no?

Really struggling with this! I would have thought that if a freezer located in room temp would have to work harder as cooling of the refrigerant would be inhibited, no?

Not a refrigeration engineer and it does seem counter intuitive, but the freezer will be designed to operate in certain ambient conditions and the outside of this the design wont work due to the motors, fins gasses all being designed to work in a certain environment I can see an issue with a freezer trying to maintain -4 degrees in ambient of -10 but a modern well built garage with some insulation and in a mild climate i cant see the issue. Just because it's in a outbuilding doesn't mean its colder than the house...... thats an assumption about centrally heated homes......

IT would be much better to specify the operational temp range of the appliance rather than it wont work in a garage.....I'm sure it would work fine in a garage in cyprus........ and may struggle in a house in the arctic circle.....