My shooting has been suspended!

Frenchieboy

sorry to hear about your probs and hope you can get them sorted out quickly for you and you can get back to your normal self. I have been struggling with my shoulder myself for a couple of months which has just got worse and impieding my shooting at the moment been on tablets for a month ( much use as smarties) back to docs on weds

chin up hopefully won't be to long before your back in full swing

Thanks everyone for the words of support and encouragement. I will be finding out more about the situation on Monday so at least then I will know what is what. Thankfully the anti inflamatory has kicked in nicely so i might get a bit of sleep tonight and feel better and more positive in the morning, let's hope so!

Thanks to all of you!

One of my fell running , endurance running pals(65 years old), had a hip replacement 3 weeks ago. He is allready walking in the fields with sticks for a mile and reckons if he keeps on top of the physio hes been advised to do he will be back on the fells in a couple of months. He is pain free allready.He has been advised that most of recover is state of mind. from Auntie.

Look, I don't want to sound bossy but you are going to have to have it done because you cannot live with the alternative, can you? Plenty of people, including my mother in law have had a new lease of life from this procedure. You are not ready to throw in the towel yet are you?

I want to tell you its not a big deal but I know it is. you just have to face up to it and then get on with the rest of your one and only life. This is not a rehearsal.

I got comprehensively beaten at badminton a couple of weeks ago by a bloke who had both hips replaced last year. I'm not that bad a player, AND I'm younger than he is.

I'm not going to lie to you, it was a big operation, he was in pain afterwards and hobbling about on ctutches, and then sticks. But he's tough and he just swallowed his pain-killers, went to his physio, got his head down and drove himself through it all.

And now, at just over sixty, he's probably fitter and more mobile than he's been in the last ten years.

Life can be tough - you can be tougher.

Well, I've just had the x-rays done and then had a word with the doctor that checked them. They say that there is a fair amount of wear showing on my left hip so now I have to be refered to my family GP and take it from there as to the next course of action. In the mean time it is just a matter of holding out on painkillers.

The biggest off putting thing about it is that quite often whenever I move there is a clunking/clicking sound coming from my hip - It gives a new meaning to the old TV advert - Clunk Click every trip! :lol:

There is an up side to all of this - The wife doesn't expect me to go out to the kitchen to make cups of tea! :)

Well, I've just had the x-rays done and then had a word with the doctor that checked them. They say that there is a fair amount of wear showing on my left hip so now I have to be refered to my family GP and take it from there as to the next course of action. In the mean time it is just a matter of holding out on painkillers.

The biggest off putting thing about it is that quite often whenever I move there is a clunking/clicking sound coming from my hip - It gives a new meaning to the old TV advert - Clunk Click every trip! :lol:

There is an up side to all of this - The wife doesn't expect me to go out to the kitchen to make cups of tea! :)

Or cut the grass, paint the house...the list is endless :lol:

My wife had a hip relacement when she was 30 because of a benign tumour on her femur.

When we found out we'd jst bought a new house, I wasn't sure what the implications were, I thought we'd have to sell the house and buy a bungalow etc.

That was 12 years and 2 daughters ago, and to be honest it's had _no_ negative impact on her day to day. She's been told not to run on

it to maximise the life of the joint because it'll have to be revised at least once during her lifetime. She's able to go to the gym, dance,

swim etc.

As you're active I don't think you'll have any problems, just try to keep the weght down, do what the physios tell you after and you'll

be out wandering the fields pain free in no time.

It's nothing to be frightened of!

Nial.

Edited by Nial

Mate, pre my operation, I woke up in bed next to a new female aquaintance after an army mess night, all was well. However, I then had an uncomfortable moment when I had to relocate my hip before I could get out of bed. That made for rather uncomfortable breakfast conversation!

Well right now I am fairly hacked off, feeling pretty down, in quite a bit of pain and worried!

Over the last 6 months or so I have been getting a lot of pain in my left hip. It has been getting progressively worse and really hit a new peak yesterday, so much so that I was having a job to move let alone walk last night. I resorted to taking a couple of (50mg Tramadol) pain killers (Which I hate and even though they are prescribed for me I only take them when absolutely unavoidable). I hardly slept last night, just drifting in and out of sleep every half an hour or so and even then just to add insult to injury when I had to get up at about 4:30 this morning to visit the bathroom I fell down landing on my left hip, and as if that wasn't bad enough I hit my head on the windowsill at the same time knocking myself senseless!

I have been trying to put off going to the doctor about the pain that I have been getting for heaven knows how long but the wife made me visit the emergency drop in centre this morning. After being prodded, poked and twisted every way that you could imagine and having a massive anti-inflamatory injection the doctor has refered me for x-rays on Monday morning to decide if a hip replacement is in order.

Having a hip replacement has always been my biggest fear. Out of the last three residents of the flats where i live only one of them is able to walk again while one of the others is confined to a wheelchair and the third never recovered and passed away while in hospital, OK, I know that these doctors are surposed to know what they are doing but it is (I believe) natural to see the worst possible scenarios fix in your mind, and that is what has happened with me.

The outcome at the moment is that I have no option but to put all of my shooting on hold till I know what is what and that is what is really getting me down.

I don't want to spend the rest of my life living on pain killers but I fear going in for a replacemenmt and not coming back out again. Some of you might justifiably say that I should have a more positive attitude, and they would be right to say so, but at the moment finding that positive attitude is almost impossible for me to do.

I surpose that i will have to wait till Monday to find what the outcome is going to be and hope that whatever happens will not loose my mobility!

Sorry if this sounds a bit like I am feeling sorry for myself but I really am quite worried!

A mate of mine had his done years back, he is just fine. Recovery issues have a great deal to do with the prior and present fitness level of the pateint in other respects. Get it sorted whatever its no fun being trapped in the house or being in pain

A friend of mine is a physio who works with folk who have had this sort of work done. She is always confident that if you do as you're told with the after op exercises you'll come out ok. It's the people who won't push themselves (or those that push themselves too hard) and go against advice that suffer.

Push yourself when told, and try and avoid it when you're advised not to. Play by the rules and you'll be just fine.

My Dad has his hip done last year (he is just over 60) and he was fairly fit before the op which may have helped but you would never know he had the op. He was up and about really quickly and stuck to Doctors orders and now does landcaspe gardening to keep him busy in semi retirement.

Try not to worry Pete, you'll be looking back wondering what all the fuss was eventually.