Advice and .22 and .17 rimfire ammo.

jam1e

Morning folks.

As i'm abit out of date with rimfire ammo i'd like abit of advice if possible.

Firstly .17 ammo. When i bought the guns i did n't want to trawl shops for prices and stated if the prices were reasonable i would make it my local rfd.

Anyhow, in short i'm paying £10.00 for a box of fifty Hornday 17 v-max. I asked about the Hornady .20gn xtp he said they were no-where near as accurate as the .17 grain. I took it with a pinch of salt but went for the .17 v-max just incase.

So firstly, does £10.00 a box of 50 seem about right? And what are peoples experiences with the .20gn xtp?

The second part is the basic .22 sub-sonic ammo. On my previous ticket I generally stuck with Reminton 38gn h/p Subs as apart from being "crammed" side by side they seemed ok to me, and the price i was paying for an individual box at that time was around £3.00.

Now my rfd didn't have any of the Remingtons in stock, so i bought a few boxes of Winchester 40gn h/p Super X subs, which seem ok, (bearing in mind the guns new) and are niced packaged in a plastic case seperating them, thus avoiding any dents or scratches, altering the obvious. However, they were £5.00 for a box of 50.

I also bought a few boxes of Eley h/p subs (no weight given), which were £5.50 for a box of 50. Now these were packaged even better, individually seperated and also in a nice plastic box.

Do the prices of the Winchesters and Eleys seem about right?

In the grand scheme of things, and considering the price of .204 cf ammo it's not a big issue , but i like to pay what the next man pays if you know what i mean?

Just to add, that i'm aware of bulk buying being cheaper, and buying a "brick" is best but my allowance isn't that high at the moment so when i can show my usage then i'll ask for a higher amount on my ticket.

Constructive opinions appreciated.

Cheers folks!

atb

Jamie

The last time I bought Winchester SuperX subsonic ammo, it was around £3.75 a box, but that was awhile ago. I think they retail at £4.25 a box now, but discount is given for bulk purchase (I usually purchase 500 or 1000)

I have'nt used the 20grn Hornady ammo, but have found the 17grn to be excellent.

The prices you have given seem pretty much in line with most places. As for the .27HMR in 20g, I can't answer that one as I have never used it. However I am let to believe that the general opinion is that the 20g hornady ammo is not quite as accurate as the 17g red or blue tips. I'm sure that someone will be along and say if I am right or wrong on that one mate!

Generally .17 HMR excels with 17g V-Max ammo, the other types/weights are there for reasons best known to the manufacturers.

£10 box 50 Hornady .17 V-Max is very reasonable (Blue or Red).

Rimfire ammo prices vary widely and there is a lot of different weights/types of .22lr, you need to find what best suits your barrel for your intended use.

Last time I bought Hmr ammo it was £28.50/100 from my local RFD - Remmy Accutip - I was sending my FAC in that day for Variation so couldn't go elsewhere ! That was an increase of £6.00 from May

OUCH!! Thats a rip-off Norm! I was paying that in around 2006!

But better that than no shooting, so see your point...

i pay £23 for 100 .17 v-max my gun doesnt like 20 grain at all and £8 a 100 for winnie subs

Cheers Telf.

So i'm doing well on the .17's and shi** on the subs.

Anybody any idea on the cost of a box of Remington subs these days??

I just paid £29 for 100 eley and 150 of the new style Winnie subs to try, I normally pay £56 for 500 eleys, I always normally buy in lots of 500 but bought another .410 so cut back on bullets. It's crazy when you think 5 years ago I was paying £22.50 for 500 eley now I can't get 250 for that!

the prices you have been quoted are about right as for the 20gr i got 2 boxs to try my thinking was that i may get a bit less meat damage but they still make a mess as for accuracy i found with a good steady rest the 17gr groups at 100 yards about the size of 10p coin and 20gr the size of a golf ball and a tad lower 1/4-1/2 inch

colin

In the last few weeks i had 500 eley subs for £50. The hmr i get vary from £12 to £14 for 50 - remmington, ( i think sometimes it's who's behind the counter and what mood their in ).

There was a piece in a recent Q+A page in one of the mags saying how some shooters are turning to 20g hmr because they have no faith in the 17g due to all the problems that has been arising. Winchester are now i beleive loading all their own ammo themselves.

My CZ will shoot 17 and 20 - better with the 20g.

Hi

I only put winchester subs through my .22, they're the best accuracy per £...

Winchester subs per 100 is £7.60

Hornady .17s per 100 £18.50

My gun guys good :)

If that is per 100, rather that the 1000 price broken down to 100 cost, that is indeed competative, actually even at a 1000 rate that isn't bad at all!

BLUE?

I brought the Hornady hollow 20g last time as the shop didnt have the 17's hollow that we normally use, was only about 50 feet per second less and a slightly big whack due to the weight. Not had any issues with accuracy yet, seems a nice round to me

Think I paid £13 for 50, defo not as cheap as £10, thats a good price

Edited by Marcel

sorry missed the blue question... they're red tipped... what the difference?

There isn't any difference from where I stand except the tip colour.

Fact is the blue are almost always sold cheaper, if you have Red tip for £18.50 x 100 that is exceptionally good today! :yes::good:

Is it ? gosh i am glad i am shooting a Hornet now

Sure is! Shocking isn't it! I did phone a couple of shops to compare and they were all around the same.

I bought 3 boxes (20 per box) to try out.

Hornady 24gr NTX, Hornady 40gr V-Max and Remington 32gr Accutip. They came to £77.80!!

Not sure which was which but one of the brands was £1.68 a shot!!! :o

• 2 weeks later...

sorry missed the blue question... they're red tipped... what the difference?

There isn't any difference from where I stand except the tip colour.

Fact is the blue are almost always sold cheaper, if you have Red tip for £18.50 x 100 that is exceptionally good today! :yes::good:

I recently had some black tip transferred to my cert from a pal, what's the deal with these?

Are they black so the bunnies can't see them coming at night? lol