told him he was going to crash the car

mikky

Im 24, coming up 25 and have done some stupid things in my life, but learnt valuable lessons. I drove my ex girlfriend home years ago when I had been out with my mates on the sauce, one of my mates had my car keys so I could not use my car, so a mate chucked me his keys, on the way back home driving like a plonker I rolled the car and took out a tree and a fence. Turns out no insurance. I was 18 and paid my mate back £3000 for the car out of my own money, I had to sell my pride and joy shotgun, a Lincoln Jubilee Prestige, nice gun for an 18 year old! I got a loan out to pay for the rest of the balance and paid that off over 2 years whilst finishing my carpentry apprenticeship. What a hard lesson that was. I have always worked, evern though I have hated the jobs sometimes I am always on time and do what is expected of me. I learnt the hard way and it has made me learn the value of money. Dont get me wrong, my parents would help me out, but they have sculpted me into what I am today. I would say I am well brought up, polite and well mannered. I paid fro half of my lessons, and got the other half as a combined Birthday and Christmas prestent. I paid for my own car and insurance. Always have done.

The only way you can make your son learn is to think to yourself, what is the right/best thing to do, not only to make him learn, but also to be better off for the future?

Lend him the money, charge a reasonable rate of interest, make him set up a direct debit repayment (if possible) and also get him to start a savings account (if possible) for future expenses.

Thats what I did for both my daughters in similar circumstances and it worked beautifully.

That's a reasonable compromise, I think. The lad'll still be able to get to work, but he'll have time to think about his actions. :good:

I have always paid for my own insurance cars etc with some help (loans) from parents every now and again. Even though i paid for my own insurance I still used to drive like a boy racer, my point is no matter who pays the insurance him or you he will still drive how he wants. The fact he has now crashed will be the lesson, I would help him out but make him pay it back so he realises you do not have a bottomless wallet.

Are you suggesting you sort out the 5k damage privately or help him with the new insurance renewal, if offering to settle privately i would not do that as your lad will have to learn the consequences of driving the way he did? I crashed last year 100% my fault for trying to get somewhere in a hurry and now paying the consequences of higher insurance.

the other reason not to settle privately would be the whiplash claim that will land shortly. if its done 5K of damage the bill will be 20K by the time its all done and dusted.

If its to buy him a new car then personally I would let him wait and contemplate a bit before deciding to help.

Never buy a half decent motor for a new driver they get stung on insurance and are likely to crash it.....I'd buy him a £50 lovely and make him run that that way if he crashes ya haven't lost anything.... He can still get to work and he can save for a new motor.

bless him...he has asked if he can extend the time to pay us back and he has offered to up the amount on the direct debit he is already paying us back,he is also trying to get a saturday job to find some extra money...he teaches karate and most of his students pay cash,so he has offered to hand over all his wages ( class sheet so we know/taxman knows what he is earning )...and to give him back what he needs for petrol and the odd night out.........so at least he has come up with some sort of solution.....no probs...no one got hurt in the accident...both cars fully comp so its the extra insurance costs he needs help with,...so its time to put his mind at rest and let him know if he needs help all he has to do is ask.......if you cant look after your own whats the point........

mikky

Lend him the money, charge a reasonable rate of interest, make him set up a direct debit repayment (if possible) and also get him to start a savings account (if possible) for future expenses.

Thats what I did for both my daughters in similar circumstances and it worked beautifully.

Wise words!!

bless him...he has asked if he can extend the time to pay us back and he has offered to up the amount on the direct debit he is already paying us back,he is also trying to get a saturday job to find some extra money...he teaches karate and most of his students pay cash,so he has offered to hand over all his wages ( class sheet so we know/taxman knows what he is earning )...and to give him back what he needs for petrol and the odd night out.........so at least he has come up with some sort of solution.....no probs...no one got hurt in the accident...both cars fully comp so its the extra insurance costs he needs help with,...so its time to put his mind at rest and let him know if he needs help all he has to do is ask.......if you cant look after your own whats the point........

mikky

sounds like he has got his head screwed on the right way round mate, like ya say at least no one got hurt and hope fully he will learn from it and become a safer driver

my son done the same i helped him all the way throught his test car the lot he banged it dad can you help me yea son they is a bus bike in the garden u know what you want to see him drive now so good dont drive fast or to close the moral is dads ant here for ever so you need to stand on your own two feet it was hard to do but i dont regret it

Brandon,,my lad love him to bits...paid for his driving lessons,,,paid 2600 quid for his insurance last year,,,,,,,,,,,,leant him 2000 quid towards his latest car....got in the car with him as a passenger...told him he was driving to close to the car in front and one day if he carries on he will crash into the back of another car,,,not a chance he says.....just got a report from the insurance company..the car he hit....5000 quids worth of damage.......its catch 22...if i dont help him,he cant go to work and earn money to pay me back.....or do i write off what he owes me ,dont help him and not pay the extra insurance and teach him a lesson.

mikky

Is this the same lad that crashes the laptops?? :lol:

mikky

Help him out mate :good: sounds like a sensible chap to me,ive being there twice with my daughter and the main thing about any accidents they live to tell the tale :yes: BB

Mate why don't you write it off, put him on a CBT £140 get him a cheap moped a couple of hundred pounds and much cheaper to run and insure. This way he can still get to work, he suffers a little with the winter weather and learns a valuable lesson.

Royal

signing a kids death warrant is not the best way to teach them a lesson. Anything on 2 wheels and a motor is a death trap for an inexp person.

signing a kids death warrant is not the best way to teach them a lesson. Anything on 2 wheels and a motor is a death trap for an inexp person.

Not at all - it's the best way to learn roadskills, and how vulnerable you are in any motorvehicle

I have always taxed, fuelled and insured my own cars, since day 1.

Let him sort it out :good:

Kids are given far too much these days and then they just expect it.

Same as.

If he puts some time/effort and money into getting on the road again, THEN you can maybe help him out a bit.

Anyways to the original question. Your son won't learn any lessons if you bail him out once again, apart from the fact that daddy's wallet will fix everything, we've all had to struggle in the past, so drop him in it, let him think he's sinking and if it turns out he really is, pull him out! (But let's be honest, he'll will find out that after a bit of splashing he'll float)

A vRS you mean?

Nope an estelle 5 speed. If ya can find one

Are you a joke account based on the (almost) pun of your namesake?.

Anyways to the original question. Your son won't learn any lessons if you bail him out once again, apart from the fact that daddy's wallet will fix everything, we've all had to struggle in the past, so drop him in it, let him think he's sinking and if it turns out he really is, pull him out! (But let's be honest, he'll will find out that after a bit of splashing he'll float)

Totally agree. But don't let him sink too deep. But there is public transport.

thanks for the comments for every penny i have leant him he has had to match,,ie go out and earn it first ,the car was 5000 k he went out and earned 2500k,the deal on his insurance was if he put himself through college and pass his exams we would pay for his first years insurance,he took the money off us but insisted on paying it back as when he could afford it...which he has done...to be fair he has never asked for a penny,it was put to him as an incentive to do well...he has now been teaching up to first dan blackbelt for a year now and has about 80 students a week,the hard work is now starting to pay off and he is slowly feeling the benefits....unfortunately this has knocked him back financially but as mentioned it is a learning curve...at 20 i think he is doing really well.....mods its time to lock this topic

thanks once again for all your comments

mikky

Think you already know what you should do and what you will good luck, how's his car, perhaps a lesser car for a cheaper insurance.

Though got to worry how my kids are going to afford to drive insurance really needs sorting or perhaps youngsters shouldn't be driving such high spec cars.

Young guys esp love the speed and really have no skills at stopping just moving . How's he feeling , not hurt I hope.

John.