Someone Having A Laugh?

GRamsay

I read this too ... and I really can't understand why on earth they would even be considered for going on the GL. I mean, are there areas of the country with millions of them causing trouble, predating crops ?

I Agree With You, I Think Who ever Thought This One Out Needs A HARD KICK UP THE *****

I can't imagine anyone ever needing or wanting to shoot a Robin?

I love watching them.

:good: :good: :good:

If I ever get around to pest control, the Robin is one bird that I would never want or need to shoot and very nice to watch. They are pretty rare around me, only seen one or 2 this year, crappy pigeons and seagulls are a right pain in the backside.

...even if they are, i cant imagine anyone shooting them unless you really had a 'need' (not sure what that would be.. perhaps the grinch!)

You're kidding, if they were on GL you'd have people on here calling them vermin and calling for them all to be shot as " nasty vicious red-breasted murderers...."

That's just it : I know this was Scotland, rather than England or Wales, but even so.

I've spent winters up in Scotland. Seen nestboxes where whole extended groups of crested tits have frozen to death due to the cold. I can't for the life of me imagine that robins have it any easier than any other small songbirds in the harsh weather you can get up there.

That's why it boggles the mind even more. I mean, just what damage can a few ... or even a few hundred robins cause. It's not like they are big enough to attack pheasants away from the feeders, not like they carry away salmon from fish farms (unless they've gotten real inventive, and helium balloons), they don't take crops or freshly seeded areas like pigeons would do.

I can't think of a single reason why they would be considered for going on the GL.

Can anyone ? Please enlighten me, if so

Robins can be very territorial, especially the males in breeding season.

However, in winter, they are a lot more likely to group together more often. Going from distant memory here, but I seem to recall the RSPB counting 30-odd flying into one nesting box a number of years ago in cold weather to roost