Whiskey suggestions?

njc110381

Right guys, I'm after some suggestions. I'm after a new bottle to try for Xmas but don't know what to go for. I like to try new things but there's so much variation and I could end up (again) with a bottle of something I don't like! Common choices for me are Glenfiddich, Glenmorangie, Glenlivet, Dalwhinnie... Dislikes are Jura, Talisker, Laphroaig to a lesser extent.

Going by that should give an idea of my preferences. Is there anything I'm missing out on for under £50ish? Either that or for a similar cost a good selection of 5cl's I could try? I know we've got some whiskey fans here so thought I'd ask rather than take pot luck again.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right guys, I'm after some suggestions. I'm after a new bottle to try for Xmas but don't know what to go for. I like to try new things but there's so much variation and I could end up (again) with a bottle of something I don't like! Common choices for me are Glenfiddich, Glenmorangie, Glenlivet, Dalwhinnie... Dislikes are Jura, Talisker, Laphroaig to a lesser extent.

Going by that should give an idea of my preferences. Is there anything I'm missing out on for under £50ish? Either that or for a similar cost a good selection of 5cl's I could try? I know we've got some whiskey fans here so thought I'd ask rather than take pot luck again.

My two favourites,The Jura i would go for is the 16 yr old,a lot smoother that the rest with a slight toffee after taste.

Just opened a bottle of budget £11 Lidls blended whisky (Margot), I was very pleasantly surprised. A drop of water + a warm glass, very smooth, with overtones of honey and vanilla. Not bad as its 1/2 the cost of the cheapest single malt.....

Slainthe...!

Edited by moor man

Bruichladdich x4+3 :good:

:stupid:

Anything from Bruichladdich. If you want something REALLY special chuck another few quid in the pot and lash out on a bottle of "The Laddie" 22-yo.......

PS. If you know any gin drinkers then it is worthwhile pointing out that they also produce a helluva nice bottle of mother's ruin...

Edited by Jonno243

I've had loads mate but I am half way thru a Benromach at the moment it's a speyside and is rather nice, I try to get a different more select one each time I buy one, its mellow subtly fruity with a wisp of smokiness, I also supped a bottle of Bowmore thats an islay last week( jees I sound like a right lush ha ha) it was nice but strongly smoky. Get on the net and have a look there's loads out there especially if you want more than the supermarkets have to offer. Xmas is on its way and I usually get a few bottles off the family and the various contractors I have on site. They ask me which one I would like and I say"surprise me" just don't buy me bells I'd rather drink meths ha ha

Atb flynny

Also the ones mentioned above this post are well worth a supp, good stuff indeed.

Edited by flynny

I,ll keep an eye out for that one, what was it like mate?

Atb flynny

Very smooth with a slightly smoky taste,and a very pleasant warming lingering after taste,i couldn't put my finger on it exactly,it was slightly peaty but there was something else in the background,but a lovely tipple.

The only time i will be buying a bottle is if i am in duty free at the end of a good holiday,with some spare money.