Red diesel / VOSA

BRNDL

Ok,

Does anyone know what the law is on being caught using red diesel on the public highway for non agricultural purposes.

Specifically your first offence, being caught and fines plus points on your licence? I have been told on your first offence you pay VAT on the remaining fuel in the tank and also incur a £500 fine plus 3 points?

Can anyone shed any facts on the topic or experiences of their own?

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They find out the date you bought your vehicle and assume that you have used red diesel all the time you have owned it then work out how many miles it has done and bill you for the missing tax , pay up or they crush your vehicle .

This is also how I understand it works :good:

Why do you ask? Caught you have they!!

I'm not certain on the rules, check them carefully as people often get them wrong.

I know of an HGV driver who has been using red for a vast number of years. He carries round the money for the fine (£500?) and can therefore pay it on the spot when he gets caught, this avoids it getting expensive or having the vehicle seized.

I think he's been caught twice, and by carrying the money on him he's never had any problems, he just pays up and goes. Doing it this way I think that the saving on each tankful covers the fine!

I'm not certain on the rules, check them carefully as people often get them wrong.

I know of an HGV driver who has been using red for a vast number of years. He carries round the money for the fine (£500?) and can therefore pay it on the spot when he gets caught, this avoids it getting expensive or having the vehicle seized.

I think he's been caught twice, and by carrying the money on him he's never had any problems, he just pays up and goes. Doing it this way I think that the saving on each tankful covers the fine!

So after an on the spot fine of £500 they let him carry on his merry way with any thing up to a full tank of red? Surely they would be pulling every couple of miles and issueing a fine?

So after an on the spot fine of £500 they let him carry on his merry way with any thing up to a full tank of red? Surely they would be pulling every couple of miles and issueing a fine?

they give you paper work and 7 days too get the tank empty like i said i was with a lad who got caught twice in 5 months at road side checks both times 500 pound fine paid it there and then drove away laughing still 10 grand a year saving

half my village is on red not exactly biggest crime in world its too expensive now bring price down and it would cut fuel theft by half and red wood not be worth using its not rocket science

oh thats all right then just let the muppets pay the tax eh!

KW.

Fortunately this kind of thing usually leaves you time to rectify the fault, as with many motoring offences, before you can be punished again.

oh thats all right then just let the muppets pay the tax eh!

KW.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong to do this (I don't run red on the road), but some people are struggling to pay for fuel and couldn't keep going if they paid even more tax, the government is so greedy. I can understand why some people are happy to minimize the tax they pay.

so what if you dont have £500 on you.

I think that's when they confiscate your vehicle, and end up giving you a bigger fine.

"Not the biggest crime in the world"

Just the same as selling smuggled ciggs or booze or snydey clothes and a lot of the red on the " no questions asked market" is stolen from farms plant etc so you are also buying stolen goods.

And of course non of them are real crimes are they ?

Probably as the vat man is one of the few who can padlock the gates of a business and shut you down till they are satisfied far more power than many other agencies, HSE can do the same IIRC the haulage firm I worked at had red and white tanks and were always getting inspected in the end they changed to LPG fork lifts and sold the red tank..... A waggon belonging to another firm got dipped and they were going to go after the whole fleet until the driver fessed up and with 30+ waggons the fines are huge!

A friend of mine has a red diesel tank in the boot of his discovery, boxed in and covered in carpet. The main tank has White diesel in and the vehicle runs off the red...

He has been dipped once...all is well.

I have been offered some red diesel as and when I want it...I will be honest, I am considering it. I drive an Audi A6 so can't really see me being pulled for a dip, at least that's my theory on it.

Why is that ?

Probably as the vat man is one of the few who can padlock the gates of a business and shut you down till they are satisfied far more power than many other agencies, HSE can do the same IIRC the haulage firm I worked at had red and white tanks and were always getting inspected in the end they changed to LPG fork lifts and sold the red tank..... A waggon belonging to another firm got dipped and they were going to go after the whole fleet until the driver fessed up and with 30+ waggons the fines are huge!

HMRC will ask of proof of purchase for fuel, if you've been on the red then you're not going to be able to produce clear diesel receipts.

You will be liable for a hefty fine and have to pay duty on red diesel.......the duty will depend on how far they can back date until you have receipts for your clear diesel, all will be dependant on mileage too.

Customs and Excise can also check your property and dip other vehicles there and others belonging to you.

As said above by HDAV Customs and Excise have more power than many other agencies.

Remember running on red diesel is tax avasion/ fraud.

If prosecuted maybe wouldn't look good on FAC?????

Rich