Red diesel / VOSA

BRNDL

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They find out the date you bought your vehicle and assume that you have used red diesel all the time you have owned it then work out how many miles it has done and bill you for the missing tax , pay up or they crush your vehicle .

I can't see this being the procedure. We have a car thats been in the family 20years...

Tempting Isn't it :hmm:

Don't think it would be for me but can fully understand why people do it.

Fuel prices are ridiculous

Incredibly...but it needs to be a calculated risk. My car is that of an old mans executive motor ( I am only 28 ) so should, to some degree work as an advantage. Now if I had a defender, van, pick up the risk would be greater.

I just want to know what the repercussions are if I was caught on the roadside running on Red....

I have been offered some red diesel as and when I want it...I will be honest, I am considering it. I drive an Audi A6 so can't really see me being pulled for a dip, at least that's my theory on it.

http://www.golfclubmanagement.net/2011/12/the-law-surrounding-red-diesel/

The final paragraph gives an idea of the penalties involved.

It's taken pretty seriously, and of course you'll end up with a criminal record too. Never a good idea when your renewal comes up.

I sold my peugeot diesel to the bloke that used to live next door,

he also had a rover 600 diesel,

he used to do the cig runs and booze runs

someone grassed him up, customs came, checked and dipped both cars (red diesel)

within an hour, low loader turns up, lifts both, crushed both.

:shaun:

I sold my peugeot diesel to the bloke that used to live next door,

he also had a rover 600 diesel,

he used to do the cig runs and booze runs

someone grassed him up, customs came, checked and dipped both cars (red diesel)

within an hour, low loader turns up, lifts both, crushed both.

:shaun:

bloody shame that, :lol:

This topic was covered in some depth a while ago,and during Fair Week the ministry boys are busy dipping the tanks of everyone,not just 'travellers'.Yard behind the cop shop soon fills up with confiscated vehicles,so the excess are stored at Police HQ. I don't think the vehicles are returned,and some reckon fear of confiscation is one reason why many of the vehicles seen fair week are just leased for that week;everyday vehicles are left at home.

you dont no what your talking about do you iv bin there 2 times WHEN MY MATES BIN CAUGHT 2 times he has paid them in cash if you dont have the cash or card to pay them they tow your car

:good: :good: :good:

thats right tony

And all the times that they have been stopping cars vans 4x4s in and around beverly it don"t matter what your driving you will get stopped. when i got pulled last time there was all sorts been pulled up from old vans to 50k cars new and old

There is a £500 pound fine and if you dont pay it there and then they will remove your vehicle they do not empty your tank they give you a slip off paper to tell any other customs officer you have paid the duty on the fuel and they let you use the fuel you have in your tank if you run on red for two years you have saved more than the duty you will pay there are no points just the fine

A friend of mine has a red diesel tank in the boot of his discovery, boxed in and covered in carpet. The main tank has White diesel in and the vehicle runs off the red...

He has been dipped once...all is well.

I have been offered some red diesel as and when I want it...I will be honest, I am considering it. I drive an Audi A6 so can't really see me being pulled for a dip, at least that's my theory on it.

I think you should run red,and I hope you get caught. You drive an Audi A6 then tell us you can't afford the fuel for it ? You need to live within your means my friend, get yourself a fiesta you'll get load to the gallon without cheating the tax man

You need to live within your means my friend, get yourself a fiesta you'll get load to the gallon without cheating the tax man

not always as simple as that though is it? work is harder to come by, wages lower, day to day living expenses increasing rapidly. 6yrs ago i could survive quite easily on £350 pw , now i just about break even if i don't have to travel to far for work, or get an unexpected bill etc etc.

I think you should run red,and I hope you get caught. You drive an Audi A6 then tell us you can't afford the fuel for it ? You need to live within your means my friend, get yourself a fiesta you'll get load to the gallon without cheating the tax man

Cheating the tax man...or the tax man cheating me? Oil prices drop...pence per litre does not. Increase on fuel tax year in year out...dishonest inflation increase...austerity measures? Really...

The law is the law, we all agree on that.

A friend of mine has a red diesel tank in the boot of his discovery, boxed in and covered in carpet. The main tank has White diesel in and the vehicle runs off the red...

He has been dipped once...all is well.

I've never been dipped (surprising as I've gone to machinery sales for years, I'd expect to have been checked), but I understand that they can, and sometimes do, check the exhaust emissions where they can detect red. They can also disconnect a fuel line at the engine and check there - they're used to people running twin tank systems, it's no guarantee of not being caught.

you dont no what your talking about do you iv bin there 2 times WHEN MY MATES BIN CAUGHT 2 times he has paid them in cash if you dont have the cash or card to pay them they tow your car

swiss.tony, do they take card payments on the spot, or do they make/let you go to a cash machine to draw the money out?

Do the people fined get any kind of criminal record for this, anything that would have to be declared for a FAC/SGC?

Cheating the tax man...or the tax man cheating me? Oil prices drop...pence per litre does not. Increase on fuel tax year in year out...dishonest inflation increase...austerity measures? Really...

The law is the law, we all agree on that.

I'm not saying it's right to evade tax, but if you look at how the government seems to be squeezing us for every penny, then the same people using it to line their own pockets (i.e expenses claims), and wasting it on paying people to not work, wars etc, it's easy to see how how many people can easily justify it.

Has anyone any experience of being caught using red diesel and then having issues renewing FAC or SGC ?

For me it's just not worth risking it.

I'd sooner stay honest and legal and pay any taxes due.

Death and Taxes - remember that one.

I don't have any references to back the is statement up...so you could look at this as being somewhat hollow, but I wouldn't suggest being caught running red diesel would deem an application or renewal to fail. I appreciate it would be brought up in direct dialect, but a refusal would be unlikely IMO unless someone can state facts to prove otherwise?

There is a lot of speculation in this thread one thing is sure lorries don't get a simple £500 fine and though you may as an individual it's not something to bank on the potential is far more especially if they think you are doing it as part of a business

I buy red diesel for my machines, and when I order it I am asked for my VAT number, no number = no diesel.

A neighbour of mine was caught with red in his land rover which was eighteen months old, it was taken away

for a couple of weeks by C&E.

They assumed he had used red from new, they worked out his mileage and he had to pay a lot of money to C&E

in back tax.

He was also fined almost £2,000, he went to collect his vehicle from their compound and pay the tax by cheque,

they refused a cheque and told him to come back with cash, which he did, he also had official receipt.

I have never heard of on the spot fines for using red.