where 's it all gone!!

trakker01

Went out for a wonder & stroll, not just once 2/3 times a week for the last 2/3 week...where has all thew wild life gone, i must have tramped over, miles & miles of moorland,farmland,woodland & forest...

where's it all gone..,wow! it sure is getting quiet!!!

i been wondering around this neck of the woods ,'as they say', for years.....OMG!!

& beleive me i know my stuff,where to look, where to sit, the wind, the scents...etc..

just look around you, in the feilds & how much wild life,either rabbit,squirrel,pheasant(ok out of season)do you see per acre?:good:

lets here it guys........ :good:

I can't say I have noticed any decline in anything at the moment. Plenty of Rabbit and Fox about where I am. I don't really look out for tree rats but see a few from time to time. Plenty of pheasent and loads of geese, bot much in the way of Duck though. But I have noticed increased activity in Roe.

Went out for a wonder & stroll, not just once 2/3 times a week for the last 2/3 week...where has all thew wild life gone, i must have tramped over, miles & miles of moorland,farmland,woodland & forest...

i been wondering around this neck of the woods ,'as they say', for years.....OMG!!

& beleive me i know my stuff,where to look, where to sit, the wind, the scents...etc..

just look around you, in the feilds & how much wild life,either rabbit,squirrel,pheasant(ok out of season)do you see per acre?:good:

lets here it guys........ :good:

Well mayb you are such a good shot that mayb your the reason for the decline in animal population?! :good:

but i agree that there seems to be less and less animals in the area. There seemed to be hundreds of crow around about 4 months ago, ut no there is hardly any!!

Young Shot

don't know about rabbits and fox , but pigeons are getting like hens teeth. never known it be as bad as this.

Same in my neck of the woods...................

Not a lot of birds around on my permission......went out yesterday for a stroll............nothing seen at all coming over my land......

Why is it when you want to "christen" your new gun that nothing comes within range............even bunnies were keeping out of distance....

Maybe it's being over shot in that area. Sometimes you need to back off a bit for a season. We're all in this game for pest control, but if there are no pests what can we do? It's not a case of stopping, just don't go out looking for 100+ bags for a bit to give them some chance to recover. It's only a short term thing :good:

Loads of squirrels, but the winter time ALWAYS reduces the number of visible rabbits, sometimes down to zero for weeks. Its nice when you do get a winter rabbit, I find the meat is nice and fatty/juicy, and they take a lot more work to stalk, as a lone rabbit never takes mroe then 3 bites without looking around :good:

:good: It,s the same every year. Where have all the Pigeon gone? Have we shot them all? The answer is no they are all in the woods right now, eating all that lovely Beech Mast, Hawthorn berries in fact they are doing what they should be doing all year. Eating natures bounty. Not Mr Farmers.

They will clear it up, will take a month or so. Then they will start flocking up and everyone will wonder where all the pigeon have come from.

Tiercel

:blush: It,s the same every year. Where have all the Pigeon gone? Have we shot them all? The answer is no they are all in the woods right now, eating all that lovely Beech Mast, Hawthorn berries in fact they are doing what they should be doing all year. Eating natures bounty. Not Mr Farmers.

They will clear it up, will take a month or so. Then they will start flocking up and everyone will wonder where all the pigeon have come from.

Tiercel

hope you are right mate. :good:

lets here it guys........ :blush:

plenty of every thing around here at the moment, had 29 pigeons wednesday afternoon plus a rabbit that had mixy, in fact the farmers are complaining that there are too many deer about, i nearly ran into a small herd of 12 last weekend.

Woody's still on wheat stubbles here and drillings (in big numbers). Also started on some early sown rape so October is looking good contrary to expectations.

Watching geese on the stubbles too. Plenty of rabbits about, way too many in fact. Black stuff in abundance and in general wildlife looks pretty healthy to me. Watching Barn Owls, Peregrines, Harriers and all the usual raptors and pheasants and partridges everywhere.

poachers galore around harro.............

Yeh, i was suspecting the night guys, but no signs what so ever!! :blush: ...the ground is medium soft in places ,the grass longish,,

no signs..of dogs,boots.fences ok! :good: ( i know my land well, very well)

:blink:

there's a bit about ,but omg...nothing per as usual/per acreage...i shoot manage 5000+ acre in monthly cycles,or when needed(4 main lots) & it aint over shot!! that would be DOH!

Things look good down here. Ducks are thin on the ponds but it's been mild. Rabbits are well controlled but I can always find a couple for the farmers wife, first signs of myxy though, this wet weather will see it spread. Pigeons about but there is plenty of natural food for them to tank up on, they are still breeding down here. Pheasant and partridge are doing well. Fewer foxes to be seen but those left are shy, they need to be dealt with as soon as it gets colder and they get hungrier.

There are plenty of pigeons in the woods around Charing/Challock and the Tenterden area in Kent, loads of beechmast and berries everywhere.

The recent rains have made the stubbles (whats left) very unattractive.

I have seen lots of wild pheasants and partridge this year and there seems no shortage of ducks on the Marsh.

Due to the warm summer, its been a good year for the poults on our Syndicate Shoot and the birds look well.

There are obviously regional differences with the dispersal of quarry, with weather, habitat, food sources, all being factors.

Loads of pinkfeet arrived here in the last week.

Having a crack at them first thing tomorrow on 2 barley stubbles with my pal.

Will report tomorrow on how we fared.

Top morning, shot 6 fine pinkfeet between us.

One negative was some "person" (who didn't have permission to shoot on fields we were on) set up on the neighbouring field/farm that the geese weren't looking at.

No law against that I know, but when he was firing at geese that had obviously committed themselves to our decoys, well I think he can hang his head in shame.

Personally I would never dream of doing this but obviously this person is desperate for geese.

As I say we shot our 6 (That's the max we shoot on any day) and had a great flight. BUT I had the camcorder and wanted to film the geese coming to the decoys.

Could have had a canny few pigeons too but not firing £2 a pop hevi shot!

If he wants someone to come and thin out his deer population then i would be more than happy to help him out!!? :D

if your farmer wants some of those deer thining out then i would be happy to help out!!? :D

You will probably see an increase in Roe activity at this time of year as the Rut has been over a couple of months then new young Bucks will have pushed to new areas etc, and with the changes in the weather they can sense it and will stock up with food accordingly.

nice to watch all the same :good:

There are plenty of rabbits, squirl and fox and pigeon here.... infact I have noticed as well a large boom in the deer population lately....

I am hoping to get a larger caliber rifle and do some of the training for deer hunting...

Training first.. and will go out with a few experianced hunters before I do it by myself.

but no shortage here... infact I even noticed a huge boom of magpies.... ahhh I hate them!