Money no object, Best shotgun .

Will Poon

Ok, so we've all got our main gun for whatever we use for shooting , my main gun is the Browning 725 sporter for clay dusting, fantastic gun can't really fault it , it could do with a nicer lump of wood in my opinion :D

So money no object for a sporting shotgun , something that you don't see too many at your clay clubs,

Krieghoff

Perazzi

Purdy

Holand and holland

To name a few that make o/u sporters , so what's on your shopping list if you can buy your ultimate sporting shotgun ??

Edited by Willpoon

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gough Thomas (former long term well respected Shooting Times gun editor) when he ordered a new gun to be built specially for him chose a Henry Atkin Spring Opener. Since this would have been a similar price to a new Purdey or Holland & Holland, I don't believe price was an issue. He thought Atkin's action (which is Beesley based, similar to Purdey's, but has some minor changes) to have some advantages over the others.

M dad used to load for the Queens representative in the Bahamas when he was over for the Pheasant season and I had the great pleasure of loading for his legal advisor. Both shot twin Purdy which were lovely guns - the wood was awesome, the engraving perfect and the action sweet...... but they still went bang, spurted out shot and killed birds in the same manner my Aya Yeoman did... they just looked better..... were better made and cost the same to buy as our house did.... However, when you load for a gent and he has twin Purdy and you know how much they cost it does make you mega aware not to clash barrels.....

Sadly Edgar is no longer with us and his guns went to his sons. His wife did offer Dad one of his guns but he turned it down...... to this day I do not know why.... but I am sure he had his reasons.

At least with cars or planes you have performance and looks to help you make a choice, with most shotguns it's impossible to tell whats better made or worth the extra dosh for standard guns on the market apart from hand made specials which again go on percieved value rather than anything else

The leading shots all have guns supplied by makers for free and presumably would shoot just as well with any price gun as long as fitted to the same specs

Before CNC Engineering it may have been possible to find differences, but i presume most are made to the same tollerences nowdays

So it looks like it just comes down to how much a company will spend on marketing and advertising that makes 99% of the difference

I'm with HDAV on this.

I would like a silver action, engraved Vostok trap gun. Saw one at a gun auction at Knutsford - about 25 years ago. I dropped out of the bidding at around £500. It went for a little more - which was a decent chunk in those days.

Best gun I have ever picked up - bar none.

To be honest i think i would be hard pushed to have anything other than a gun from luciano bosis, if money were no option. The quality is up there with that of the best london makers and at half the price it almost makes them a bargain...

You certainly wouldnt see many of them, no matter where you go shooting, be it at a clay ground or a game shoot!

Failing that, anything from Henry Atkin would have to do :whistling: ....