22 semi autos

Dogs

Hi outthere, :good: thinking of getting a 22 and have been looking at the 10/22 and remington 597 :hmm:

anyone care to advise on the pros / cons of what / which is good or bad ???

hope to use for bit of target and a bit of pest control and choosing a heavy barrel version of

whichever

thanks for any advise, :good: much apprechiated Dogs

Hi outthere, :good: thinking of getting a 22 and have been looking at the 10/22 and remington 597 :hmm:

anyone care to advise on the pros / cons of what / which is good or bad ???

hope to use for bit of target and a bit of pest control and choosing a heavy barrel version of

whichever

thanks for any advise, :good: much apprechiated Dogs

From my experience, an out the box 10/22 is very good all round - with plenty of extras available to tailor it however you like, whatever you use it for.

The 597 I shot was impressively accurate, but its heavy trigger didn't make it great fun to shoot. I'm assuming that would have been easily sorted though.

Frankly few people will have a real need for a semi. I got mine for close range bunny bashing in overrun areas thinking I would leave the already supplied open sights in place for quick target acquisition. It had not dawned on me that my eyes were so bad that I could either see the quarry or the sights but not both, so I removed the sights and fitted a scope.

I have a .22 BA as well and other rimfires, and if I'm honest I was also after a bit of fun, I have no regrets about my purchase but I find very few sites where it comes out ahead of my BA.

They are also extremely good at using serious quantities of ammo, largely because you can!

Cleaning is a pain, they WILL jam, whatever you get (hopefully not too often) and they are not as accurate as a BA, but this is an area many harp on about, the difference for general field work is hardly worth talking about, and they are likely be slightly noisier than a BA because of the mechanism.

Plenty about, fill your boots if you fancy one, others will probably add things I may have forgotten.

ATB!

post-20848-0-84657000-1361806693_thumb.jpg

Cheap as chips Magtech 7022 (£150 brand new, threaded, open sights, and ready to go out of the box, trigger is ****).

Edited by Dekers

Pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew

The novelty soon wears off.

Correction:

Pew pew pew *JAM* pew pew *JAM* *CLICK* *CLICK* pew pew pew pew *CLICK* pew pew *JAM* pew pew *CLICK* *CLICK* pew *CLICK* *CLICK* pew pew pew pew pew pew pew *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM**JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* pew

*JAM* "that's odd it has never done that before"

*JAM* *JAM* *JAM* "what do you do with all your mangled .22 rounds" [actual question I was asked at Bisley by a 10/22 lover]

"Is it OK if we take your gun this week" request from the 597 user who had simply had enough.

Enough hating, the lovers will along soon :whistling:

Pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew

The novelty soon wears off.

Correction:

Pew pew pew *JAM* pew pew *JAM* *CLICK* *CLICK* pew pew pew pew *CLICK* pew pew *JAM* pew pew *CLICK* *CLICK* pew *CLICK* *CLICK* pew pew pew pew pew pew pew *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM**JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* pew

Come on... for the millionth time... stop exagerating!!

I RCO at the Pheonix at Bisley which, for the uninformed is mainly a gallery rifle meet... and a HUGE one at that... 75% of the rifles used are .22 semis... and hundreds of thousands of rounds are sent down range. each of the comps has a slightly different course of fire but most of it is rapid with multiple clips being used... This year I will RCO for the RCOs Tues to thurs and then compete fri-sun.. I will probably go through 2,000 rounds... I am not 'expecting' to get any jams at all, if I do, it will be an isolated incident!

I come accross very few jams... if we did, it would take forever as the line would be stopped for each incident... it would be almost impossible! I only remember 1 jam last year on my range(s) which was cleared quickly and efficiently...

If you are genuinely having that many jams there is something seriously wrong with your rifle

Come on... for the millionth time... stop exagerating!!

I RCO at the Pheonix at Bisley which, for the uninformed is mainly a gallery rifle meet... and a HUGE one at that... 75% of the rifles used are .22 semis... and hundreds of thousands of rounds are sent down range. each of the comps has a slightly different course of fire but most of it is rapid with multiple clips being used... This year I will RCO for the RCOs Tues to thurs and then compete fri-sun.. I will probably go through 2,000 rounds... I am not 'expecting' to get any jams at all, if I do, it will be an isolated incident!

I come accross very few jams... if we did, it would take forever as the line would be stopped for each incident... it would be almost impossible! I only remember 1 jam last year on my range(s) which was cleared quickly and efficiently...

If you are genuinely having that many jams there is something seriously wrong with your rifle

In fairness, shooter's at Bisley will be using higher-end kit.

Using HV rounds, many of the 22's I've tried have very few stoppages - just the odd ejection or F2F. Using cheaper ammunition, Billy's analysis can be spot on...

I had a 1022 and 597.

I just did not like the feel of the Ruger! It was reasonably reliable on most ammo. The trigger was horrid and took me ages to stone to a cracking trigger. After the trigger work it still never floated my boat so sold it.

The 597felt much better but was very unreliable with anything less than HV. The trigger was lousy and I never did achieve a nice trigger after hours of attempts. The magazine was a staggered type but the rounds would bridge and cause a fail to feed situation all the time with subbies. Even a new mag would do the same. It needed a single stack bonded in the standard one if possible. Shame really because it handled nice.

I understand the CZ511 is reliable and certainly the one I used for a while was good.

I often wondered about the Krico!

U.

I've got an old Anshutz 525 put thousands of rounds through it rarely clean it and never had a jam!

Great for rabbits. Yes it's easy to rattle of a few rounds but the novelty wears off!

My only issue is the lack of noise control with its action compared to a bolt action for groups of bunnies it can be a problem. However I've had numerous multiples which I wouldn't have had with my bolt action.

Horses for courses!

Or consider a CZ511 self loader.Using Winchester subs i've never had a single failure and its the perfect tool for rabbits.They're accurate and cost very little money.

CZ5111.jpg

I have the same mate, and never had a jam using Winnie subs also. Just clean mine when I can be bothered, mine cost 100 quid with the silencer, cheap as beans bunny basher,

Atb

Flynny

Edited by flynny

another CZ511 here, its the most accurate stock 22 semi out there, mine jams VERY rarely, built to last and they're cheap.... its my go to bunny basher.... the chaps above who cant seem to use a good semi like any other rifle are either drama queens, didnt look after the rifle or shoot while standing on one leg with their eyes closed ;) (RE launching loads of rounds at a single bunny).... mine is one shot one kill just like any other rifle but if you do need that second quick shot for whatever reason its there ready to go.

love mine.

Edited by thepasty

My first FAC was a target heavy barrel 10/22, ( 12 years ago ) still got it :good: . Get the odd jam buts keep it clean and the mag cleaned every now and again you will be fine. Mine likes eley subs , it shoots very well and its not been touched at all .

Best i had from 1 mag was 8 rabbits 1 after the other withing about 2 mins :good: . Ok you can rattle the rounds off if you want, but you get wise to doing that. If you are unsure try before you buy ? do you know anyone you can get out with see how you get along with either semi /bolt ?

1 night i went out with a mate with a cz bolt , we tested side by side i shot 3 rabbits to his 1 at a group of rabbits. Shoot/ aim shoot aim shoot aim shoot job done, cz shoot pull bolt re aim re-posture shoot

Bit like marmite love/hate rifles lol

Another vote for the CZ 511, I use it for target shooting and vermin control and have never had an issue with jamming. It is field strippable and takes about 2 minutes to clean. Add to that the fact that they are dirt cheap and I am definatly a lover :)

You may as well buy something you don't have to mod to work and has some build quailty about it.

Pest control

dscf8293u.jpg

Target

dscf8308.jpg

I'm with Dekers and the Magtech 7022 (Mossberg 702). Never had a jam with Eley subs, although they're not as accurate as Winchester SX subs. Had a problem with the first box of Wins, but now fired another fifty without a jam, or misfire. Ambush rabbits with a semi and you'll get two or three, while with a bolt it'll usually be one.

Check out my review http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/magtech-7022-mossberg-7022-22-semi-automatic-rimfire/