Corvid chaos

turbo33

I had an un expected call from a farmer last night that I had emailed 2 months ago. Its a farm I have shot at a couple of times, but haven't been there since spring last year due to the weather and the shoot politics. Any how, apparently there were a lot of crows on the wheat that was drilled a couple of days ago. So I took a run over there today.

I arrived at 8.45, watched the flightlines from the truck for a bit and picked a spot in front of a large ok. Typically, the place you have to be is always as far from the truck as you can get :lol:

I had bought one of the Ameristep bale pop up hides, thinking it would be just the job for these cool early spring days. Whilst the sun was breaking through, the wind was up a bit and I was grateful not to be in a net hide with the breeze cutting through. Bit of dressing, and a roof and then put the deeks out.

P3040048_zpsefac3300.jpg

I put out 6 FB deeks and as soon as I had nailed 4 real birds the deeks came in. I had to adjust the roof several times as they were coming in from quite high up and very spooky. Getting the recipe right restricted the shooting, but it had to be done. View from inside the hide.

P3040046_zps1956b6ac.jpg

I called it a day at 4.30 with 115, two in the brambles so 113 in the pic. It has taken me a few years of trying, but have finally made the Ton :good: As I was packing up, the farmer appeared. He was "slightly" pleased!!

P3040050_zpse70764aa.jpg

A couple of them had beak deformaties. This one is undershot.

P3040052_zps0ceff6fe.jpg

and this one a crossbill

P3040051_zpsfac1c5b0.jpg

It was a cracking day, am now celebrating with a large whisky :good: :good:

A very impressive performance. Would you have done better or worse in a 'normal' hide?

I thought about that all day. If I had a normal hide, in theory I would have doubled the bag, because my field of view and swing was so restricted. However, as they were so wary, I would have been spotted in a normal hide and so I doubt I would have made 30-40. Also I wouldn't have stayed so long in a normal 4-5 pole hide as it was pretty cold/windy. So its horses for courses, todays conditions, this hide won hands down. Even with the restricted peep hole,if I took the face veil off for a coffee, they could spot me, and veered away.

Edited by turbo33

I thought about that all day. If I had a normal hide, in theory I would have doubled the bag, because my field of view and swing was so restricted. However, as they were so wary, I would have been spotted in a normal hide and so I doubt I would have made 30-40. Also I wouldn't have stayed so long in a normal 4-5 pole hide as it was pretty cold/windy. So its horses for courses, todays conditions, this hide won hands down. Even with the restricted peep hole,if I took the face veil off for a coffee, they could spot me, and veered away.

Thanks for the reply which was as expected.

Last Saturday, which was still and bright, corvids were looking down into my hide and veering away. I could have done with a roof on my hide in those circumstances.