do i clean my gun?

washerboy

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine are cleaned every time they are used. How much danger is there in corrosive action from modern powders and primers if you do not cleane every time?

Blackpowder

Admittedly the modern cartridge components are less corrosiver than in the past. But, I had a 5 year old benelli montefeltro pass therough my hands last year that had never been cleaned ( the previous owner was actually proud of this fact ! needless to say when i had scraped out the muck and plastic from the forcing cone there was a a nasty case of honeycombing hidden behind it. this was a gun that was only five years old that was unsafe to fire because it had never been cleaned.

Admittedly the modern cartridge components are less corrosiver than in the past. But, I had a 5 year old benelli montefeltro pass therough my hands last year that had never been cleaned ( the previous owner was actually proud of this fact ! needless to say when i had scraped out the muck and plastic from the forcing cone there was a a nasty case of honeycombing hidden behind it. this was a gun that was only five years old that was unsafe to fire because it had never been cleaned.

Cheers Canis, never having experienced a gun of my own which had not been cleaned is why I asked the question.

Blackpowder

f g hell i takes me a good hour to clean my gun each time i use it, i can remember me and my dad cleaner the autos while watching dads army the first time round i was still at school in 1977 how the time flys my dads been dead over 20 years this year he taught me how to strip and clean an auto right down to dropping the trigger group out when i told my class mates this they just took the **** and said yeah right of cause you go pigeon shooting every saturday

I really don't understand why people can't be bothered to clean there guns, it need only take a few minutes with a basic clean... or as long as you want ......

Dirt, grit, muck and moisture can find there way into every nook and cranny , and if left will wreck ejectors, hinge pins etc.

A bore snake is good for a quick clean of the bores but not much else... won't do much to remove fouling from plastic or lead....

Get yourself a decent cleaning kit, and learn to enjoy caring for your gun..... i find it very satisfying and part of my shooting day.

Clean after every outing:

Quick squirt of Browning Legia spray and run through a cleaning rod with a strip of kitchen roll round the fleecy mop. Replace the kitchen roll till it comes out clean :good:

May have to resort to the bronze brush for stubborn bits of plastic residue, but rarely.

DO NOT OVER OIL :yes:

If cash is tight you can make a home made pull through. A quick search on here and google will tell you how.

if the barrels are really grubby on my Baikal I use cheap copy WD40 bought from my local £1 shop to help remove any deposits.

If cash is tight you can make a home made pull through. A quick search on here and google will tell you how.

if the barrels are really grubby on my Baikal I use cheap copy WD40 bought from my local £1 shop to help remove any deposits.

I was informed by a gunsmith years go that WD40 can cause problems when used, and could cause the guns rib to lift.

even better i get it free from fitting shop if i ask nicely

i will buy a bore snake

If cash is that tight that you can only afford about £15 for a boresnake , buy a cleaning rod and a Payne Galway bore brush instead ! after brushing use kitchen roll squidged into a lumppushed down the barrell with the rod untill the kitchen roll comes back clean

Edited by Canis