National Blood Week, 10th - 16th June 2013

Full Pelt

heart-logo.png

Dear PWers,

Did you know that we supply hospitals with around 7,000 units of blood every day? Or that, in order to continue to meet that demand, we must recruit nearly 200,000 new donors every year?

There’s a good chance that you did know – but we’re willing to bet that many of your friends or colleagues don’t!

That’s why this year, as part of our National Blood Week celebrations, we’re asking donors to share these facts with anyone they know who might be interested in blood donation, to help us continue to recruit the new donors we need. Facts like:

• each unit of blood donated is split into its constituent parts, and can save up to three lives
  • the number of regular blood donors has fallen by 23% over the past decade
  • the minimum age for blood donation is 17 years (650,000 people will turn 17 in the next 12 months!)
So if you do know someone who you think might be interested in giving blood, please forward this email to them or tell them to visit us at www.blood.co.uk.

Thanks again for your continued commitment. knowbloodgiveblood.jpg ribbon-top.jpgribbon-bottom.jpgicon_phone.jpg Call us on 0300 123 23 23 facebook.jpg Find us on Facebook icon_mouse.jpg Visit us at www.blood.co.uk twitter.jpg Follow us on Twitter

Download the latest give blood mobile app today for iPhone and Android

iphone.jpg android.jpg

Help | Privacy & Legals | Opt-out of future email communications from NHSBT

NHS Blood and Transplant

Customer Services, Oak House, Reeds Crescent, Watford, Hertfordshire, WD24 4QN

© NHS Blood and Transplant

I went last week - think it was my 57th donation (I must be nearly empty!) - never had any problems, nor much pain apart from the initial scratch with the needle.

I work with 15 others and every time I am due to go I try to rally them around to join me, but never manage it - no wonder

they are always crying out for more donors if my gang are a typical sample of the population! :rolleyes:

When chatting to other donors at a session many have often told me they started to donate AFTER a close relative had an accident or medical procedure which required them to receive blood. Think that brings it home to people how essential it is.

Come on PW members, get out there and give that 'armful' - you never know when you, or one of your family, might need some yourselves.

:thumbs:

Always worth depositing a pint or so in the blood bank, you never know when you my need a withdrawal and an overdraft :good:

Who's got one of these then,all the nurses were BATS and i remember they had cool bat badges.

donorcard.jpg
great logo :lol:
batsc.jpg

After donating blood for many years, this past two years I have been giving platelets. Males can, on average, donate platelets every three weeks.

If anyone has'nt given blood before, I would ask that you try it, at least once. It really helps keep people alive, and I was grateful for the units of blood that my son had given him, while he was in hospital. It did'nt save his life, but allowed us another 1.5 days to be with him at his bedside.

Steve.

I haven't done so for a while.

I used to give plasma (Apheresis) at the Moorgate centre in the City of London. Could do this once as month as the red cells were put back after being separated from the plasma.

Edited by Penelope

Have always wanted to do it, but never had the balls to. 1 i dont like needles and 2 id prefer to convince a friend to do it with me, which is proving difficult. Plus i have heard a few horror stories from donating blood.

Does it hurt? And how long is the needle stuff in your arm for? I might seriously just pluck up the courage and go do it.

Have always wanted to do it, but never had the balls to. 1 i dont like needles and 2 id prefer to convince a friend to do it with me, which is proving difficult. Plus i have heard a few horror stories from donating blood.

Does it hurt? And how long is the needle stuff in your arm for? I might seriously just pluck up the courage and go do it.

No it doesn't hurt, its just like any other injection. It will be in your arm for 5 minutes at the most and once its in you don't feel it. Go for it, you never know when you might rely on blood donors. And the best part is you get free Coffee and Biscuits :good:

Hopefully a PW member close to you comes along with you.

Where are you based? Lets get a volunteer to help you overcome your fear.

From what you guys say, it doesn't seem to bad!

just remember to shave your arm..only bits that hurts is when they take the sticky plaster off.

free club biscuits and sometimes a fit nurse or two...infact if your single it would be a great place to pull

they will be clean from std,s :lol:

:lol::good: i am in a relationship, but there is no harm in looking lol. Boys will be boys.

Haven't done this for yrs but was a doner for over 10 yrs ,and after just been sitting in a class room for the last 3 days on a course with St. John's I remember and realize how important it is , so I've just checked and guess where I will be on the 26th ( giving a pint of my finest) thx for the kick up the *** ....

Few questions though...

Still free coffee ???

Still free biscuits ???

Still get badges in your book when you reach 10 etc ???

Still fit nurses :). :). :)

Edited by delburt0

Lots of useful comment in this thread and well worth working over this from time to time - thanks to everyone for taking the time to donate.

I've posted this before but it's well worth repeating :

.... thinking about the reason I started donating.

There was a TV documentary on the Royal Marines in Afghanistan ; one lad had been blown up by an IED. He said that he'd checked his arms and legs, all OK, then put his hand up to feel his neck and his fingers went right in. His mate ran up and said, "Don't worry, you're going to be alright", he thought "If my mate says 'don't worry', it must be serious".

His mate saved his life by sticking his knee in the hole in his neck until the medics arrived.

They gave him 17 pints / units of blood in the helicopter back to Bastion.

I worked it out that if I went and donated every twelve weeks it would take me over four years to donate 17 units.

Only 4% of people in the UK give blood. Think of that when you're tipping that pint down your neck tonight, we can all spare a drop.

http://www.blood.co.uk/index.asp

No apologies for posting this again, hundreds of people browse this forum. Are you one of the few or one of the many ?