USA bomb Great Barrier Reef

955i

I certainly wouldn't describe it as lunacy. Seemed the sensible thing to do given the circumstances.

Yup, no point thinking about what they are doing BEFORE they do it eh?

'Command, we are running out of fuel'

'Well let's smash the **** out of one of the only beautiful areas on the planet we haven't ruined'

'OK Command, Out'

Idiots

Edited by 955i

So they made a error in judgement and didn't have enough fuel to land safely, so they as quoted "To minimise damage, the US Navy said the AV-8B Harriers dropped the bombs in deep water away from coral to minimise damage to the World Heritage Site."

I thinks it's better than risking the lives of the pilots and co pilots, and wasting yhe millions they spend training themI also think its reported in a typical news way, bombs dropped near reef, mass hysteria, but no damage caused [as they didn't even explode] but they could have done do its really bad

Obviously they should have kept eye on the fuel gauge in the first place

We haven't heard the full story - like why the pilots had to abort several bombing runs at the designated target.

I'd hazard a guess there was a very good reason for those aborts and if the bombs weren't jettisoned safely in the sea then who knows where the planes would have been forced to attempt to drop them - it was reported they are fly and despatch bombs - not ones that can be brought back. Exercises are a learning and training experience. I know it's not ideal bit skit happens some times.

It was a joint exercise - the US were working with full co-operation of Australia, possibly even under Australia's command.

Edited by Dave-G

None exploded so whats the big deal? they were dropped in deep water away from the reef (if they are telling the truth) these people have to learn to do things most of us couldn't contemplate doing ,being around armed forces most my life i have great respect for army,navy,air force :good:

If they have ballsed up im sure they will get a right ####ing of there commanding officer :blush:

This is a massive non story, these were INERT missiles, so essentially concrete filled metal tubes, dropped into deep water away from any environmental hazards, whilst the US is conducting training exercises with allied country.

Its the same media ignorance that the media and anti-gun lobby use against the like of us.

None exploded so whats the big deal? they were dropped in deep water away from the reef (if they are telling the truth) these people have to learn to do things most of us couldn't contemplate doing ,being around armed forces most my life i have great respect for army,navy,air force :good:

If they have ballsed up im sure they will get a right ####ing of there commanding officer :blush:

+1 they were unarmed bombs

This is a massive non story, these were INERT missiles, so essentially concrete filled metal tubes, dropped into deep water away from any environmental hazards, whilst the US is conducting training exercises with allied country.

Its the same media ignorance that the media and anti-gun lobby use against the like of us.

+1

They didn't go bang so what's the big deal?

Yup, no point thinking about what they are doing BEFORE they do it eh?

'Command, we are running out of fuel'

'Well let's smash the **** out of one of the only beautiful areas on the planet we haven't ruined'

'OK Command, Out'

Idiots

Somehow I don't think that would be the mentality. Using my special powers, I have came to the conclusion that you have biased viewpoints for whatever reason. As the saying goes, there's no need to make mountains out of molehills.

As usual we only get part of the story they said that they could not drop the bombs on the range as it was not clear why that is the question was it fishing boats strayed in to the area protesters so they drop the dummy bombs in deep water where they will do little harm.

The way that I see it people love to protest about things it does not really matter what anything will do but it gives them a chance to get seen on TV and herd on the radio everyone wants there fifteen minutes of fame.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

2 lumps of cement dropped on sea. Not too far from a massive reef. That's what it should read, better than 2 harriers full of nasty non inert chemicals and metal crash into sea and the death of two elite pilot's.

Before we knock them remember they are the ones saving our soldiers lives daily in afghan whilst we don't have an air force out there.

loved the bit were the idiot reporter say the unarmed training bombs did not explode, talk about bigging up a story, total non event, that the yogurt knitters of this world will thrash themselves wildly over.

KW

2 lumps of cement dropped on sea. Not too far from a massive reef. That's what it should read, better than 2 harriers full of nasty non inert chemicals and metal crash into sea and the death of two elite pilot's.

Before we knock them remember they are the ones saving our soldiers lives daily in afghan whilst we don't have an air force out there.

Please get your facts right. We do have the RAF out there. Firstly the Harriers and now Tornado.

Please get your facts right. We do have the RAF out there. Firstly the Harriers and now Tornado.

We sold all the harriers to the yanks for spares. There are no tornados out there.

The typhoon is not there either. Just c130's and a few attack choppers. Maybe the odd troop transport and a few drones as well.we rely heavily, almost exclusively on the yanks

My facts are right.

Edited for the auto correct.

Edited by GingerCat

As usual we only get part of the story

Oh! Come on FWD. If we had the whole story how could we make the other half up?

damned good journalism if you ask me.

Journalist: Sorry Ed. militarty isn't giving me the full SP on this one.

Editor: Never mind. Once the Pigeonwatch crew get hold of it they'll think of a nice conspiracy theory to round it off.