Getting a Cleaner?

lord_seagrave

Morning All,

I don't want this to turn into have vs have-not type thread, but New Seagrave Towers really needs some 'help'. Lady Seagrave works long hours and I commute, and aside from cooking and eating, we are either too busy or too knackered to do housework. It doesn't help that the place is far too big for us, which makes the task even more daunting.

How do I find a good value cleaner, and what sort of jobs are reasonable to ask? What should I expect to pay? How often should they come? And for how long?

Aside from vacuuming and dusting a three-bedroom house, and cleaning a kitchen and bathroom, could I get washing and ironing done as well? What about changing the bedding, and other stuff like that (i.e. not strictly "cleaning")?

If anyone knows anyone in the North Buckinghamshire area offering such services, I'd be glad to hear from you, likewise if anyone has had good (or bad) experiences with domestic help...

Cheers,

LS

I have one she comes in once a week for 5 hrs, 6 bedroom house, vacums dusts, and cleans all the bathrooms, (we have 3). Alternate weeks she will clean the windows in the conservotory.

If asked she will do some ironing and will put the washer on.

Biggest bug bear i have is that you still have to tidy up before she comes around.

We have tried a few before settling on the the we use now, she was recomended to us by a neighbour.

They charge by the hour and so all of the above can be done.

In general a regular all over clean, vacum and polish, and then adhoc the rest, like you might want the bathroom/s polished from top to bottom, or kitchen units emptied and polished inside etc; You can do these as and when required.

Washing, ironing changing bedsheets etc is all a reasonable request.

We have one for a few hours a week. Like you my Mrs works and we have 2 young kids and my Mrs doesn't want to be dusting and vacuuming when she gets home.

The lady we have has been working for a friend for a few years and came highly recommended. She just does the general cleaning but I'm sure would do the other things you mention if asked and paid.

Go on recommendation. I would be very careful about letting a stranger have full access to my house.

As for have and have nots we are not minted but I don't smoke or drink and for a few hours a week is saves me getting a lot of nagging so its worth it.

Harry

I know more and more people hiring cleaners - and not especially wealthy people either. Just 'normal' people, usually working couple who'll get a cleaner in once a week or so - doesn't sound too expensive by all accounts.

Whilst I'd like someone to clean my house for me, I don't think I could trust a stranger like that - I don't want to have to lock up / bolt everything down to get my house cleaned.

Be careful, i got one a couple of years ago after i got divorced. She came highly recommended, but the stupid sod steam cleaned my brand new oak kitchen unit doors removing all the lacour and polish then went on to steam clean the metallic light fitting with the electric still turned on causing my circuit board to burn out. She even asked for her money. Happy days

Ask your neighbours if they know of anyone. We have one...£7.50 an hour and comes for 2 hrs a week. We leave a job list in order of priority.

Strictly cleaning - Not tidying up.

Its my mother in law :good: wouldn't trust a random router!

We have two cleaners who clean the house whilst my wife works from home. None of it is cash in hand and the company they work for is fully insured. Not sure I'd be happy having someone come into my house whilst I'm not there.

Up here in the North we pay £14 an hour and they do 1.5 hours each which means they can clean a 5 bed, 4 bath place to a reasonable standard. We do have to make sure the house is tidy before they come so that they can zip round.

We used to have a cleaner provided as part of our contract. she was paid £10 per hour if i recall correctly.

We used to 'leave her a tip' and she would do a bit of ironing and change the beds and put the bedding into the washing machine so it just needed hanging out when we came back.

We did used to have a 'clean up as the cleaner is coming' which i could never get my head round..lol but we nver had any issus with anything missing (infact she even left the cash my housemate had hidden in his pillow case after selling his motorbike back in the one she changed it for (but all folded correctly!!)

She stopped in the end as she couldnt climb stairs anymore..... we did take her home on her last day after giving her a card and present, only problem was that because she had only ever caught the bus from home to us we had to follow the bus route all around Londan as thats the only way she knew!! (why i didnt use the sat nav looking back on it i dont know!!)

We've had one a few years, she came by recommendation, charges about £9 an hour but we give her £10. Does 3 hours a week or 4 if there's some ironing needs doing. Cleans the kitchen, dining room, lounge, bathroom and the hall stairs landing etc. We have two dogs who live in the house and keep a couple of horses so the house gets dirty quite easy!

Worth every penny, as both me and the Mrs work full time and our time off is too precious to spend it cleaning so she says :whistling: