Speed Reloading an Over & Under Shotgun

Gibbybox

Hello!

I'm after a bit of advice about the quickest way to reload an O/U shotgun. I was out on the pink-footed geese the other day with a buddy of mine and we both got a goose with each barrel :) However, by the time we had reloaded they were out of range. In this case we were over the moon with 2 geese each within 2 seconds or so but I can't help but think we need to be faster at reloading!

Are there any videos/explanation of the quickest way to reload? Something like holding the shells in the left hand while firing the first shots so they are ready to go?

Advice much appreciated!

Cheers guys, a semi auto is something I intend to get in the future but at the moment I'm restricted to my O/U due to finances. Also, as I understand it I'd only be able to use a 3-shot on geese and I can't justify a second gun for that one extra shot.

I'm really looking to improve my reloading technique and speed as it has held me back in the past when shooting pigeons & crows also!

Use an ejector (as opposed to an extractor) gun and have 2 ready in the left hand or in a quick access. If you see a ton of birds coming (I get it when roost shooting pigeons) then when you see them coming dig out the spare two for the left hand. Then just practice. If you only have an extractor gun, then you'll not be quick. The empties aren't heavy enough to slide out of the barrel quickly when turned upside down, though I've found the shorter the brass the better in that case.

thanks

rick

Just be happy with having shot two pinks and don't get greedy.

Don't get me wrong I was delighted to shoot two pinks, even more so with a L+R. This problem isn't only related to shooting pinks though, I've often felt restricted when shooting pigeons or crows just the same.

Give this a go

http://www.monkeyloader.com/

This looks pretty good but as above, £90 seems very pricey to me! I've looked at the Speedloader Swift as well which could be more like what I'm after. I'm going to practice shooting with two cartridges between my fingers of my left hand and see how I get on... The gun is an ejector so that's not a problem. Cheers for the help!

Cheers guys, a semi auto is something I intend to get in the future but at the moment I'm restricted to my O/U due to finances. Also, as I understand it I'd only be able to use a 3-shot on geese and I can't justify a second gun for that one extra shot.

I'm really looking to improve my reloading technique and speed as it has held me back in the past when shooting pigeons & crows also!

I'm not really getting this, have carts ready, prepared, to hand......Practice!

Plan a bit and this can be achieved quickly.

Maybe this...... http://www.speedloader.co.uk/

But if you are really struggling for pigeons/crows why not a FAC shotgun?

Edited by Dekers

I'm not really getting this, have carts ready, prepared, to hand......Practice!

Plan a bit and this can be achieved quickly.

Maybe this...... http://www.speedloader.co.uk/

But if you are really struggling for pigeons/crows why not a FAC shotgun?

IIRC sporting gun or similar gave something similar to them away with the mag a good few years ago and I really liked them.

For double barreled guns Speedloader Swifts as shown above, or even cheaper, just buy a Prodec clip belt and arrange the cartridges in pairs. They've available from http://www.normanclark.com/opening_page/opening_page.htm for about £25 and they hold 30 cartridges.

Prodec clips on a belt;

Prodecbelt_zpsaaab6e4e.jpg

Once you move into semi-auto or pump, the type of belts we use for Practical Shotgun are what you're after (8 cartridges loaded in <3 seconds possible) but the cost quickly ramps up

Cheers for the suggestions folks, I think I'll invest in some Speedloader Swift! I also plan to get some 'flush' practising in at my local clay ground, if they do it that is...

Concentrate on the birds you're shooting with the two chances you've got before you start thinking about the next bird....

As per my original post I'd successfully killed two geese with my first two shots. As I'm still relatively new to this I was looking for help on reloading technique/tips that will no doubt help me in years to come!