out of window or on foot

d.kenny

just curious really as to how many people shoot rabbits etc out of a car window and how many on foot or who does both and what do you find better?

may sound very backwards but iv never shot rabbits on foot and have always done it on a 4x4 as i have always been told you will never get anywhere near a rabbit on foot but in a car you can easily get up within shooting distance

the only reason i could see shooting being a problem for me is that i always goin at night and usually always lamp and need the cigarette power socket for it but in all fairness there is no reason why i couldnt go on foot as i have a scope mounted lamp now to haha

suppose my real question is is it even worth going on foot or shal i just stay in the warmth of the 4x4 haha???

... as i have always been told you will never get anywhere near a rabbit on foot ...

You can, with just a little patience, get within 20 yards of a rabbit in broad daylight, wearing trainers, jeans and a t-shirt. I regularly take rabbits with a .410 shotgun at under 25 yards.

I have never lamped from a car but have on foot and think it works really well as you can pop the light on look around then turn it off and get within range, However i shoot rabbits mainly in daylight and I find that both methods provide great results, On the large permissions me and my friend drive round but on the smaller ones we walk, I prefere walking as you have to stalk in, using trees and other objects to keep out of sight while you stalk in and I think you can get closer with good camo, Car is definitly best for large permissions tho just try and stay back a little more. Plus some farmers dont like you driving round fields if you get more land in the future.

ATB Oli

you need good land access to shoot via a 4x4. You need a lot to shoot at coz they aint so stupid as to hang around much past the first few times. I like shooting on foot, its quieter and being outdoors proper is very much part of it for me the only real issue is you can only carry so many yet you can always drop off batches in bushes for later collection by 4x4 later.

Not often you can drive up to a fox round here

i might give it a go then

iv always shot the rabbits at night time and never really tried in the day

might be an idea to perhaps give that a go then to

in all fairness though on the permission i go to most regularly there just seems to be next to no rabbits there at all and im always trying to find new permissions but i find farmers tend to be reluctant to let you shoot the land with a rifle whereas they welcome shooting the pigeons

i have permission on nearly 1500 acres and i can only shoot with my rifle on about 500 of it of which i can only cover perhaps 250 or less in 4x4

:sad1:

i might give it a go then

iv always shot the rabbits at night time and never really tried in the day

might be an idea to perhaps give that a go then to

in all fairness though on the permission i go to most regularly there just seems to be next to no rabbits there at all and im always trying to find new permissions but i find farmers tend to be reluctant to let you shoot the land with a rifle whereas they welcome shooting the pigeons

i have permission on nearly 1500 acres and i can only shoot with my rifle on about 500 of it of which i can only cover perhaps 250 or less in 4x4

:sad1:

There is certainly a big trust thing about rifles, not sure I should want someone driving round my land / stock and home with a rifle unless I knew their capabilities real well. Take the view so what if there is an odd bunny out there one dead yew or bullet through the lounge window is not worth the risk however small

I can see the advantages and even the need to shoot rabbits from a 4X4 if you have a very large farm or estate to clear rabbits from. However for the newer shooter I would prefer to see them starting by stalking and shooting rabbits on foot as it will help to build up their fieldcraft skills!

I get great satisfaction out of seeing how close I can get to rabbits (And other wildlife) occasionally, regardless of if it is with a gun or a camera!

I prefer to take a steady walk round in the evening, about an hour before sunset. You see more interesting things on foot.

You need to know where the warrens are and try to have the wind in your face.

I even wear a head net. This often confuses the odd fox I've come across too.

Mind you, I have just got myself a vehicle to use and will do so where the ground is suitable and farmer doesn't mind.

I got it more for the pigeons and crows really but my mate has loads of land and I hope to put it to use on there.

GH

Regarding foxes, I've actually had one at about 10 yards with a 12 bore, purely by chance. Spend enough time being still and quiet, and it is surprising how close wildlife will get before it has even noticed you. The first that the fox knew of me being there was when the shot was fired.

A lot of deer stalkers have been within feet of deer or fox. I've seen a robin land on the barrel of my shotgun, and a badger just a few weeks ago walked past me 10 feet away, snuffling as he went.

A grey squirrel last week within 10 yards or so ... was not his lucky day...

It all comes down to time though. If you have the time to spend walking around quietly and slowly, you will cover a lot less ground. But you will cover it more effectively. If you are trying to keep half a dozen farmers happy on thousands of acres, then walking isn't going to be really feasible

Only too true about the stalking fun. I got a HMR and couldn't wait to be lazy, but then lost the love of it a bit.

I now try to take the airgun out more and stalk in to around 20 yards for more fun. If they leg it, I just get the HMR out and do a few long shots instead. But it is great fun to stalk in to quarry and nothing better than the above where you watch something really cool whilst you wait. I was laying in cover on the edge of a wood on my perm and casually watched a woodpecker at work not more than 5-6 feet from me for a good 1/2 hour. There was a few rabbits out to shoot but I just watched the woodpecker for a while instead.

I have found that shooting from the 4x4 to be very successful.

I shoot a lot of Rats on pig farms using N/V and a 12 ftlb .22 cal PCP Air Rifle.

Any movement or the sound of someone walking about will spook them.

I usually sit in the passenger seat with the window up about 3 inches i put 2 ft of pipe insulation that slots on the window.

Just put some bait down and pop them off from the car.

It`s a lot warmer in winter to with a paraffin heater at your feet.

I have shot loads of crows form the passenger seat to.

I drive on to a field gut a rabbit or two and a few broken eggs.

And sit down with the gun out of the window and pop them off.

They seem to accept a vehicle in a field and come down Crows and Magpies.

And they don`t seem to get spooked when you shoot them.

Magpies make a bit of noise but then come down to investigate there dead buddies and get shot to.

But you need a very good Silencer. I use a Logun Solo .177 doing 11.9 ftlb with a Logun Silencer.

I have ten Rifles and it`s only the Logun Solo that doesn`t make the Crows take flight with every shot.

Even my Daystate huntsman with a whisper Silencer. And my BSA Superten Bull Barrel put Crows in Flight with every shot.

Edited by NIGHT SEARCHER

I only shoot on foot and find it very productive (80 foxes this year so far) off quad sticks and mostly on my own...

We shoot rabbits on foot as it is better for the lamp man carrying them in a ruck sack so not to unbalance the shooter.

A dark night and a bit of wind and keep away from the hedges as all the stuff that is by it will make a noise under foot

The tram lines left by the sprayers are 29-31 meters apart to give you a guide on distance...

TEH

A car is a tool like any other piece of shooting kit. In the right circumstances they're invaluable but they can become overused till you forget how to do it without them.

A 4X4 is very handy for saving time and legwork covering barren ground on a large farm and they can be very useful for those long waits sitting in ambush for a fox or if you want to shoot in the pouring rain. I've got a couple of rabbit spots where I can't get a safe shot unless I'm right in there amongst them which can't be done on foot, but if I sit in top of them in a vehicle and wait it out they will show and ignore the car. But as Kent says if you overdo it they get car wise. I've also got some ground round a grain dryer where the farmer has rigged up a motion sensor security light which is an absolute menace. If I approach on foot after dark everything within 300 yards will see me but if I drive through the light I get away with it.

Generally though I prefer on foot. Its harder work and more skillful but much more flexible and most of the time there is no option as all my ground is cultivated. Also you see, hear and smell everything when you go on foot, all the signs, all the activity - or lack of it. Keeps you in touch with your ground. You're remote from it sitting in a car and you don't see what's really going on.

We do a mix but mostly from the truck, most areas we shoot have good access and are too large to walk unless you want to be out all night. Foxing wise I find it essential on our ground if lamping if sitting then its high seats or off the top of the truck. And that are shy in the lamp I'll usually sit for with nv