long crossing targets

BaikalsRule90

I am really struggling to hit long crossers. I just can't read them or hit them consistently. On one stand I will be in front, the next behind, and then just way off line. It's getting to the point where my confidence is being knocked for other stands I would usually do well on. How do the majority of clay shooters shoot them? Maintain? Pull away? Also if the crosser is also rising should the gun be at a 90 degree angle to it or remain straight/Kanting the gun. Do you think it's worth having a lesson?? Thanks in advance. Steve.

Half or three quarters choke, 7's, I would always shoot them maintained lead, don't cant the barrels.It's difficult to advice without really knowing how far out it is, or if your shooting it while it's still under power.If it is slowing go slightly under. Is someone telling you wether your in front or behind , unless they are right on your shoulder ignore them and keep your barrels moving. from Auntie.

Edited by 100milesaway

I am really struggling to hit long crossers. I just can't read them or hit them consistently. On one stand I will be in front, the next behind, and then just way off line. It's getting to the point where my confidence is being knocked for other stands I would usually do well on. How do the majority of clay shooters shoot them? Maintain? Pull away? Also if the crosser is also rising should the gun be at a 90 degree angle to it or remain straight/Kanting the gun. Do you think it's worth having a lesson?? Thanks in advance. Steve.

Have a look on YouTube mate, and don't let it get to you! Even Digweed missus... Sometimes! So don't be disheartened.

If its a long, slow crosser I always use pull away. I lock onto the bird first allowing me to get the line and speed matched to the target then start pulling away until it feels right before pulling the trigger.

For closer crossers or crossers where you don't have much time I use maintained as I don't have enough time to lock on and pull away before the clay either disappears or hits the deck etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Gauging how far out and it's speed is the key to this one... At 40 yds I might give a farm gate in lead for a fast crosser, slightly less if it is slower. But my lead would be different to another shooter.

One tip.. there is a point of distance, where the maximum visual lead is needed, then the further the bird is from you the less lead is needed, as an example at 40 yds I give a farm gate's length 8ft, at 50yds the target is further out and the length of the farm gate looks smaller although it is still 8ft. So the lead get smaller, I have often seen those really long clays missed as too much lead is given. Just keep practising. Although at one shoot I could not hit a loopiing crosser about 50/60 yds out, ended up giving it 2 yes 2 farm gates to hit it. that's 16ft!!!! That is the longest lead I have ever given to hit a bird.

Gauging how far out and it's speed is the key to this one... At 40 yds I might give a farm gate in lead for a fast crosser, slightly less if it is slower. But my lead would be different to another shooter.

One tip.. there is a point of distance, where the maximum visual lead is needed, then the further the bird is from you the less lead is needed, as an example at 40 yds I give a farm gate's length 8ft, at 50yds the target is further out and the length of the farm gate looks smaller although it is still 8ft. So the lead get smaller, I have often seen those really long clays missed as too much lead is given. Just keep practising. Although at one shoot I could not hit a loopiing crosser about 50/60 yds out, ended up giving it 2 yes 2 farm gates to hit it. that's 16ft!!!! That is the longest lead I have ever given to hit a bird.

I can only echo this that each shooter see lead differently a friend and great shoot (GB) give an 85 yes looping crosser we shot a 57 seat coaches length of lead that's huge I found for me it was 2 farm gates or a transit van.

Best way watch over the shoulder with out intervening to see roughly their lead with your eyes.