Plucking a Canada goose... Advice please

Passionforangling

As a newcomer to duck/ goose shooting I'm looking for a bit of advice on preparation. I did look through the food and drink section but couldn't find what I was looking for so here goes....

I was fortunate to have two Canada's coming home with me last Saturday. Sunday was spent sleeping in the morning after the early start so the afternoon was scheduled for plucking. I did one of the Canada's and, though I say it myself, it looked really good when I'd finished and is now in the freezer. It took me just a minute or two over two hours to completely prepare it....ie plucking and guts out.

Now I don't mind spending this amount of time at all....the bird deserves it and I wouldn't want to just "breast" a bird like this although I would with pigeons and maybe pheasants if I had loads of them. My problem now is that I can't really do the other one until the weekend because I think I need good daylight to make a good job of it so I'm thinking of just putting the whole bird, feathers, beak and all, straight in the freezer and then plucking it after defrosting some time in the future.

I have a couple of questions for the more experienced on here....

1) is it ok to do what I'm planning?

2) is 2 hours for a Canada excessive? Does anyone have experience of any mechanical devices that might speed up the process?

Thanks in anticipation.....

I admire your dedication and can see where you are coming from :good:, but I gave up plucking whole geese for a couple of reasons, one because as you say it takes a while and two once it is plucked then really the only thing you can do with it is roast it. By taking the breasts off there is a whole lot more you can do with it, stir fry, casserole, curry, pie and not forgetting Aisters Polish goose ha ha.

I don't suppose freezing it whole will hurt but I wouldn't do it.

Edit to say-I tried the bushwear thing that goes in a cordless drill and didn't think much of it, save yer money IMO.

Edited by aister

As a newcomer to duck/ goose shooting I'm looking for a bit of advice on preparation. I did look through the food and drink section but couldn't find what I was looking for so here goes....

I was fortunate to have two Canada's coming home with me last Saturday. Sunday was spent sleeping in the morning after the early start so the afternoon was scheduled for plucking. I did one of the Canada's and, though I say it myself, it looked really good when I'd finished and is now in the freezer. It took me just a minute or two over two hours to completely prepare it....ie plucking and guts out.

Now I don't mind spending this amount of time at all....the bird deserves it and I wouldn't want to just "breast" a bird like this although I would with pigeons and maybe pheasants if I had loads of them. My problem now is that I can't really do the other one until the weekend because I think I need good daylight to make a good job of it so I'm thinking of just putting the whole bird, feathers, beak and all, straight in the freezer and then plucking it after defrosting some time in the future.

I have a couple of questions for the more experienced on here....

1) is it ok to do what I'm planning?

2) is 2 hours for a Canada excessive? Does anyone have experience of any mechanical devices that might speed up the process?

Thanks in anticipation.....

Can't you prepare it in the kitchen?

I rarely pluck a whole goose, especially a Canada. If I want the crown with skin on, I just pluck it and then cut around the ribs with poultry shears. The only difficult bit is breaking through the wing bones. You can then take off the drumsticks if you fancy. I find this far better than plucking and gutting. Who wants to waste their time plucking the back of a goose when you won't eat it?

How Long? :no: Hang them up by the neck and get on with it a bit faster, you don't do a feather at a time do you? :lol: I don't do Canadas whole theres no point being such a large bird. Do not go chopping bits off till the plucking is done otherwise it just gets gooey.

Hung by the neck work "quickly" around the lowest part of the neck / start of chest and down. I also do the legs as they are great for chillies / stews etc as long as you pull the sinews. once plucked cut through the wings as the joint with a knife working it between the joint and popping it by hand if required. Now do the feet, cut around the totally part the sking then work into the joint a little, pull and twisting to break at the joint (do not just chop the feet off) Now grasping the meaty parts firmly twist and pull very hard till the sinews come out still attached to the feet. Gut the bird and finally cut the head and neck off were it joins the body (catching the now prepped carcass into a bag. Cut off both breasts and both the leg/ thighs.

About 20mins tops, work in order and don't pluck one feather at a time

The best method that I have seen is in an old American waterfowling book that I have.

Melt paraffin wax in a pot big enough to take the goose, dip it in the melted wax and then into cold water to set the wax and then peel it off. In the photo sequence in the book it shows all of the feathers and down coming off in one with the wax, producing very clean birds. I have not tried this though, so don't have first hand knowledge of it efficacy.

The best method that I have seen is in an old American waterfowling book that I have.

Melt paraffin wax in a pot big enough to take the goose, dip it in the melted wax and then into cold water to set the wax and then peel it off. In the photo sequence in the book it shows all of the feathers and down coming off in one with the wax, producing very clean birds. I have not tried this though, so don't have first hand knowledge of it efficacy.

I'm pretty sure that's how they pluck the ducks in factories.

It takes me about 40 mins to pluck a large Canada, and i do pluck all mine as we are lucky to get a handful in a season down here. There are no real shortcuts but as Kent says you do need to work in an order to get it done in a reasonable time. Never frozen one in feather.

Lets face it its hard enough finding freezer space as it is

Funny how folk always find the time to go shooting but then suddenly have no time to prepare the game / wildfowl they have shot in a proper manner........

Me, I always pluck. In the kitchen, football on the radio and away I go. Much better than been sat I front of the telly all night.

Thanks for all the replies guys...interesting that none of you recommend/ use any mechanical device. The 2nd goose has gone in the freezer, feathers, beak and all.....it's due for a dinner party a week on Saturday so will come out on the Wednesday for a slow thaw followed by a 2 hr plucking ...maybe 2nd time I'll be a bit quicker...hey ho, I don't mind.....salivating at the thought of the taste!